Old October 25, 2003, 14:06   #1
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Party like it's 1999!
The celebrations continue.

Here's an overview of our Empire:

1468 gold per turn after adjustments.

We had 1200 gold with non celebrating Fundy in our last save at 80% tax.

Just to give you an idea of the advantages of a celebrating fundy, at 10 percent tax and 50 percent science, we could discover advances every 8 turns and still collect 717 gold each turn.

Now, we have some stubborn cities that request the erstwhile Elvis to induce celebrations.

Shadowpalace:

pull up 2 workers to induce celebrations, one collecting 0 trade, and the other collecting 1 trade.

Atlanta:
Pull up 2 more workers to induce celebrations, same as Shadowpalace.

Hlobane:
Put worker on the wine, pull up two other workers to induce celebrations.

Sheol:
Pull up worker on peat, you will be able to replace him once the city starts celebrating.

Mpondo:
Place worker on Gold, pull up another worker

Tugela:
Pull up two workers not collecting trade.

Paradiso:
Pull up two workers not collecting trade.

Dallas:
Pull up one worker.

Outpost:
Pull up one worker.

Shield:
Put another worker on the river, pull up both workers on shields. You will be able to replace these once the city starts celebrating.

Obelix:
Put worker on Ivory, pull up another worker.

Kostunrix:
Pull up worker.

Nognix:
Pull up worker.

Cannae:
Pull up worker.
Old October 25, 2003, 15:29   #2
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Re: Party like it's 1999!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
Just to give you an idea of the advantages of a celebrating fundy, at 10 percent tax and 50 percent science, we could discover advances every 8 turns and still collect 717 gold each turn.
and this is why I wanted a tax rate of 20/40/40.

I think that we get enough gold this way, yet still continue to generate new sciences. It seems unlikely that we will get many new techs from our opponents with our Science rate at 0 (past experience suggests that the AI similarly slow their tech rate if the human player does). Therefore, can we once again poll on the tax rate and continue the celebrations, but increase the science (at the expense of taxes)?

/me giving it one last try
Old October 25, 2003, 16:08   #3
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I have to admit that I am very impressed by our gains through WLTxD! Before closing the recent session, I went through our cities and explored how far we could regain production without ceasing to celebrate. Some cities seemed to just refuse to celebrate, but I bow to the greater expertise of our esteemed Foreign Minister and will examine the possibilities for further celebration he has mentioned.

I will say that, in some special cases, shield production was also valued highly and those cities were not encouraged to celebrate (the Workers there are given other forms of recreation to keep morale high).

These things can be balanced though, and I am relieved to hear that some adjustments can be made after cities celebrate to keep them in their excited mood yet allow some increased production.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old October 25, 2003, 18:58   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:15
This IS excellent. I should think that very firmly swings the best option status to celebrating and continuing to research. The cities where production is important need not celebrate, from the above results - we don't need then all celebrating if they have more important things to do that would suffer with extra Elvii.

I would certainly strongly support a rate such as 20/40/40 pending on how much cash it gives us. We may need to drop out of celebrations every now and again to stockpile a little more gold, but a 7-12 turn tech being delayed by a turn is FAR better than a 20+ turn tech all the time.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 25, 2003, 21:02   #5
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Some cities are rather finicky, and when you have 60+ in a turn, it gets rather tedious to adjust and then readjust the following turn.

Still, not many cities were missed, and many of these are our new cities captured from the Zulus.

I did it once with a 250 city scenario switching to Democracy, having all my cities celebrate in one turn. I since learned to turn off the city report option.

Sparrowhawk:

I did not know how much our science rate would improve, but now we do.

And it is only going to increase from here on as we expand. The AI still has more than 50 cities.