Old October 25, 2003, 15:59   #1
cpbeller
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Network Nodes & Artifacts
I cannot find anywhere how to connect an artifact to a network node anywhere in the manual, and i have done the search funtion....all I can find is that it simply says that an artifact CAN be connected to a network node for a free tech, or, it can be used to hurry up a secret project or a prototype....BUT, i cannot find how to do this....

Any help please?
Old October 25, 2003, 16:12   #2
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
You simply move the artifact to a base with a network node which has not yet been used to so connect. A diadlogue box will pop up asking you if you want to continue moving it or connect it. Same for using the AA ti contribute to the construction of a proptotype or a secret project. One box pops up for however many of the 3 options is possible at the base. The same dialouge pops up each time you select end move (space bar) or hold (h) for an AA already in the base. Also it you place an AA in a base without an Node, protpype or project construction, and put it on hold, and later complete a node, or begin a project or prototype, the AA will automaticly activate off the hold status.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old October 25, 2003, 17:26   #3
SynthetGod8
Warlord

I surprised that wasn't the first thing you tried.
Old October 25, 2003, 19:10   #4
cpbeller
Chieftain

thanks
Old October 25, 2003, 22:05   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

While on the subject (sort of) how much exactly does an artifat add to the construction of a secret project?

Do It Ourselves
Old October 25, 2003, 22:44   #6
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

An AA gives 50 minerals toward a project or prototype. That's independent of your Industry rating.
Old October 26, 2003, 13:50   #7
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Not a very good deal, exactly, when you consider an unupgraded crawler gives 30 minerals... but in that critical period pre-IA, you never know how much of a jump that 50 minerals will give you.

Post IA though, I would never waste an AA on a SP, unless the other guy was one turn away and I was a crawler short. And I really, REALLY needed the project.
Old October 26, 2003, 16:22   #8
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Opinions differ on cashing AA's. The techs you get from AA's usually mess up tech beelines (increased tech costs), so I often prefer to use them for SP's. Plus I mostly play tech factions, so I don't need to play "catch up". Also, if you're running Planned/Wealth, a crawler is only worth 24 minerals (or even 21 or 18 if you're Hive or Drones). Planetary Transit can pay for itself immediately if built early enough, so it pays to build it ASAP, rather than wait a few more turns for another two crawlers.
Old October 30, 2003, 10:11   #9
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 20:15
My preferred strategy is to save up my Alien Artifacts until I have as many of them as I am going to get (i.e. there are no more supply pods to be found). Then I link them all to my Network Nodes in a single turn, resulting in a HUGE leap ahead in technology, putting me in the tech lead. Often I will have ten or more Artifacts to use at this point if I am playing on a large map.
Old October 30, 2003, 10:31   #10
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Turn adavantage suggests cahsing in ASAP towards a critical SP (Aka Weather Paradigm or Human Genome) to a) get the project ASAP and b) clear your build queue so that you can continue building/growing.

I also agree that after critical beelines have been followed most particularly the beelines to Industrial Automation and perhaps beeline to restriction lifting, you are best served linking for techs.

In the tweener period after IA pre-restriction lifting saving AA's until after the two aforementioned critical beelines is my normal tactic. (You may also wish to include beelines to D:AP/MMI as well).

As an aside, I'll always look to cash in a wounded Ogre (SMAX) as the return is a nifty 50 mins.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old October 31, 2003, 05:29   #11
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
As an aside, I'll always look to cash in a wounded Ogre (SMAX) as the return is a nifty 50 mins.
Is this for MkI Ogres, or all Ogres?
Old November 1, 2003, 09:03   #12
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I speak towards Mark I's as for the others, to be truthful I don't know the mineral value.

The scarcity of the Mark II's and Mark III's prevents me from commenting intelligently.

(Hey maybe I can use that excuse for all my posts here at 'poly)

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old November 3, 2003, 01:21   #13
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 07:15
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
alphax.txt lists the "build cost" of Battle Ogres as MkI=10, MkII=15, and MkIII=20. Since the disband value equals half the mineral cost, those translate to 50, 75, and 100 minerals. The preset build cost is multiplied by 10 and that result is halved to give the mineral equivalent when disbanding.
The "build cost" of an Alien Artifact is 10, which gives it the 50-mineral disband value (10*10/2).
Old November 4, 2003, 01:21   #14
Chaos Theory
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Gaians
Emperor

Local Time: 10:15
Alien artifacts are special, though:

When you move them into a city building a prototype or SP, they ask you whether you want to "disband" them towards production. No other unit besides the supply crawler does this

Alien artifacts are always worth 50 minerals, regardless of the industry setting. I don't know whether you can change this by changing their build cost.