Old May 21, 2001, 11:42   #1
Devil's Advocate
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
What do you like the most about civilization 2?
I never had the chance to talk with other players, so I am curious about what others like about this game.
I like to try and make my civilization nice for my people to live in. I like to make sure there are plenty of city improvements and wonders so my people give me a good approval rating. I also really try to develop science as much as I can because I try not to be warlike. I always win by building the spaceship.
Old May 21, 2001, 13:58   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 17:01
There are so many things to like about civ, thus its longevity. Seeing your tribe to glory, trade, building wonders, crushing neighbors, there's a little something for everyone. These forums are loaded with strategies, information, and discoveries, read on! Many ways to improve your play and have even more fun.

I love exploration, seeing the black haze clear as my ships and explorers roam about in search of loot and good city spots. I have a habit of making my cities very livable, as well. Fat coffers and happy citizens tend to be my goal.

Actually building city improvements draws chides from many players, as the most effective way to a high score involves behavior more appropriate for rabid, aggressive rodents...

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
Old May 21, 2001, 19:14   #3
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 16:01
I play civ2 because it is so engrossing, and has a lot of depth. I can play in a number of different ways, and after 5 years, it still has new stuff about the game being discovered. even here at apolyton.

I chuckle over the absurdities, and glory in my triumphs, and my dismal failures.
it's a big rush no matter whether I win.

Gak, I love this game.

The possibilities when starting small and becoming a superpower of some sort are not to be missed, either
Old May 22, 2001, 02:02   #4
Eyn
Warlord

Local Time: 23:01
5 years and i still play Civ2 !!
Customized scenarios thats THE great power of Civ2
Complex but easy (perfect city screen: 1 screen and we can see all city infos)
Old May 22, 2001, 03:33   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
rabid, aggressive rodents...
Yeah ... but we rars enjoy the game as well!!
Old May 22, 2001, 06:11   #6
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Scenarios

A good one can turn Civ into a whole new game. A bad one adds to it`s longevity somewhat.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old May 22, 2001, 06:29   #7
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Crushing the enemy! Not really, but the thrill of watching one lonely settler build a mighty empire that will one day conquer the world.
Old May 22, 2001, 08:56   #8
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 18:01
The ability to create scenarios keeps the game fresh whenever the default game becomes tedious. New strategies that one develops in an unusual scenario can change the way that one looks at the default game too. New possibilities, new horizons. Additionally, the scenarios offer new realms of creativity to someone so inclined. Look around here on ACS and on some of the other sites; there are scenarios that encompass almost any subject you can think of. And if you can think of a subject that hasn't been covered already--then make it yourself!

Salutations,
Exile
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old May 22, 2001, 09:11   #9
Devil's Advocate
Chieftain

Thanks for all the responses everyone. This looks like a good site, although I am a bit confused as it looks different from yesterday.
Old May 22, 2001, 12:09   #10
East Street Trader
Prince

Welcome, Mary-Ann. I find it hard to think that anyone who likes Civ could fail to enjoy Apolyton.

The only complaint you sometimes hear is that the time taken up chatting on the boards is time lost for playing the game. (Curiously never heard anyone moan that it cut further into the time available for washing the dishes or mowing the lawn!).

Yes, you have arrived just when the boards have been given a new look. It's going to take me a few days to get used to the new look. First impressions favourable though.

To answer your question, I think what I first liked was the basic concept of the game. The idea of basing a game on the way human civilisation has developed is a novel one and it was fun, while still new to the game, to see the way different aspects of mankind's advance had been built in.

Afdter that becomes familiar, though, it is the variety of the strategic and tactical approaches which the game allows which keep me playing. I am forever thinking of, or seeing discussed here, some slightly different approach (some not so slightly) to any I have yet tried and I find I have to play half a dozen games or more in that particular style before I can see whether it works well and how it compares to other approaches.

With other games there often comes a moment when you feel that you have hit on an approach which is sufficiently succesful that there is just no interest left in trying something different.
Old May 22, 2001, 13:26   #11
drake
King

The thousands of variations of paths you can take in the game is my favorite part. Try as you may, you can never even come close to duplicating a game.....theres just way too many variables....

Also, the freedom to do whatever you want with YOUR world makes civ a very appealing game.
Old May 22, 2001, 13:33   #12
Devil's Advocate
Chieftain

Thanks for being so friendly everyone, I like my picture that appears by my name
Old May 22, 2001, 15:26   #13
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

*Vlad Antlerkov, you have fulfilled the dreams of countless generations. Your name will live forever in the annals of CIVILIZATION!*

...around 1000 AD Actually, that's never happened before (except if I cheat). I'm lucky to get to AC before 2000-- on Chieftain
Old May 22, 2001, 20:05   #14
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I have always loved the exploration best...

No, the building and making my people happy...

No, the thrill of 'discovering' new technologies, and being the science leader...

No, the trade and getting rich off of other nations...

Bah.

It's all good.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 22, 2001, 20:17   #15
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:01
Well as others have already articulated...... i enjoy the various ways of winning....... whether it be ethnic cleansing, mercantilianism, Democratic relations, or reaching for the stars

The beautiful thing about civ is all the variables that come into play. Does that first hut yield two legs or four? Money or science? Is it tech i need or is it just tech indeed. Is my first city my SSC or is it my only city (OCC). Do i like my zulu neighbors or am i trading with my Egyptian ones.

How do you like my fortress...... 150g tribute... i think not.... why don't you send some obsolete units over the next 2 millenium and go bash your heads.......

oh..... you want to trade maps..... *snicker* by all means and i promise not to give it to any of your so called rivals......

Ah look at this nomads, non units, advanced tribes ....wow the game is going we......ll........ darn here come the raging horde barbs.....

so you want to kill my explorer eh? Fine...... i will bribe the rest of you... don't you know how big my coffers are....surely it's spread through the royalty of all the kingdoms

oh yah....... it ain't no fun waiting around to be a millionaire...... so spend that cash..... buy some wonders........buy some units , buy some caravans......

whatever your fetish.....civ can bring most of it to your front door........

Remember..... always build those caravans

whoa..... i need air
Old May 24, 2001, 19:20   #16
Dr.Oogkloot
King

General Customizability

(Maybe I should try to make it less obvious that I'm just trying to get to 1000?)
Old May 24, 2001, 20:23   #17
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Clicking that red launch button.

Or, maybe, "--- scientists discover the secret of Trade"

Or, maybe, "Leonardo's workshop upgrades all settlers to engineers."

Or, maybe, "Oil caravan arrives in London. Revenue: 2578 gold"

Gee, I dunno.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 25, 2001, 09:27   #18
AustralianJeremy
King

Local Time: 08:01
I love that you develop a civilization that you care for, and then you get to test its mettle against OTHER civs. Trial by fire. Sort of SimCity where the rival mayors want to invade you.... (sacrilege, I know)
Old May 25, 2001, 11:31   #19
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Local Time: 00:01
What I prefered in Civ2 (compared to Civ1) ?

New fun units.
Diplomaty.
New war system (with injured units and exhausted units).

What I like in this game :

Total war against a big strong IA.
Space run.
Etabling roads, rail roads, boats connection around the world.
Etablishing "colon cities" in foreign territory.
Old May 25, 2001, 14:52   #20
Howitzer Al
Chieftain

The seemingly infinite dimension in the game. My first game, on Chieftain, was basically:
Hmmm.... what looks good to build now.
Let's move my warrior guy this way.
What the heck are all those symbols in the city window? Tax, luxury, waste? What's that?
(reading the manual)How the heck does this trade stuff work? Nevermind, I'll probably never use it anyway .
And it was still fun!

Now on diety, so many subtleties come into play, and it's even more fun! And I've been playing for years now. Haven't even gotten into the scenerios, MP, or ICS. (gave OCC a try a couple of times, but I prefer blasting away with howitzers )

It's dozens of games for the price of one!
While others rejoice that He put roses among the thorns.
Old May 25, 2001, 14:54   #21
drake
King

Quote:
The seemingly infinite dimension in the game. My first game, on Chieftain, was basically:
Hmmm.... what looks good to build now.
Let's move my warrior guy this way.
What the heck are all those symbols in the city window? Tax, luxury, waste? What's that?
(reading the manual)How the heck does this trade stuff work? Nevermind, I'll probably never use it anyway .
And it was still fun!
Sounds exactly like my first game
I bought civ for my dad and I thought it would be boring, but I tried it anyway...guess what? Dad never got his game back after I started playing
Old May 25, 2001, 17:16   #22
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Howitzer Al
Just like me!

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 29, 2001, 12:39   #23
HawkHunter
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

All of the above.. but theres nothing like playing othere humans in mutiplayer. You never know what they will do next. i never came over here to thes forums much .. but u should check out http://zone.msn.com/ to come play with the other humans that love this game so well.
Old May 29, 2001, 13:16   #24
drake
King

I've been over there quite a few times hawk, and it seemed to me that all anyone loved to do was talk.........and brag.........and quit games after 5 minutes of playing it without telling anyone else.............

of course there are exceptions to the rule, but all it seems anyone ever wants over there at the zone is a wham bam thank you maam type game......and that bores me (and a lot of others) to death.....
Old May 30, 2001, 09:33   #25
Bohlen
Prince

I love this game because I am always learning how to play while having fun. I just started a new SP game last night and am learning how to play the large map again (after playing nothing but medium maps for a while). Just when I think I've got this game beat, I realize under certain circumstances I am vulnerable to the AI sometimes. I realized last night that it is the experience of actually playing the game, not just winning every time out, that keeps me coming back. Anything can happen and it is a blast to have your back against the wall sometimes.

Oh, and MP is a great twist to this already terrific game.

Drake:
You're right about the zone. A lot of talk and no one wants to finish a game.