Old October 27, 2003, 15:36   #1
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 07:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How does RCP work with a Forbidden Palace?
OK I have read the RCP threads and the Palace Jump Thread.

I assumed RCP worked the same way with an FP as it does with a palace.

But I saw Dominae say yesterday at "another forum", that it does not.

Is that true? If not how does it work? Has anyone looked at this?

Thanks
Old October 27, 2003, 15:50   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

There is a bug w/respect to cities around the FP, but I honestly don't know enough about it to explain it properly. Alexman probably does, though.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 27, 2003, 16:03   #3
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Say you have a city that is closer to your FP than to your Palace. Say it is P tiles from your Palace, and F tiles from your FP (so P is greater than F).

The bug is that the OCN corruption depends on the number of cities that are at a distance less than F from your Palace, not your FP.

For more info, see Qitai's article.
Old October 27, 2003, 16:05   #4
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 05:23
Details:

A Rank Corruption Discovery and Exploit to negate rank corruption - Qitai

In action:

SirPleb deity, with Palace rank exploit

Quick example:

If your closest city to the capitol is distance 4, then any distance 2, 3, or 4 from the FP will be treated as if it's in the first ring as far as the OCN is concerned. The cities closer to the FP (distance 2 and 3) won't affect the distance 4 cities around either the FP or the capitol.

Distance corruption isn't affected by this though.
Old October 27, 2003, 16:21   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

So... if I build my original core with relatively tight spacing, build my FP in there, and later move my palace to AI territory (looser spacing), I'm likely to have a bunch of old core cities at level1 OCN corruption, eh?

Thinking of my current hotseat game I've got going... I have RCP going around my capitol, with 6 cities at distance 4. My FP has just recently been rushed far away to the south. Currently it has 2 cities at distance 3, and several others much further out (all to the west, I must conquer Persia in order to get the east bits ). Those 2 will both be at OCN level 1. But the cities further out (further than 4, for sure) will have relatively high OCN corruption, because of the 6 cities around my Palace at distance 4.

HOLY CRAP! I just realized something. I was playing a SP game recently in which I built my FP close to home and rushed my Palace out to the former Celtic capitol far away, at a time when I had almost no cities close to that capitol (I had gotten a leader, figured out where I wanted my capitol to go, and scratched and clawed my way there, but I had to stop & rest up for ~20 turns before continuing the conquest). My civ did surprisingly well after the move... I had expected to take a bit of a hit, since the capitol would be fairly isolated. But lo and behold, things in my old core were better than I had expected, even with the courthouses I'd built.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 27, 2003, 19:46   #6
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Local Time: 11:23
If want the big cheese exploit then build your Forbidden Palace in your core then build your Palace on the other side of the world. Every city except one (whichever one is closest to your now ridiculously situated Palace) will then be closer to the Forbidden Palace then that one city is to your Palace.