Old October 27, 2003, 16:06   #1
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Command & Conquer: Generals
If I'm thinking about the right one, this is the one where you can play as America, China, or some terrorist group.

Any opinions on it? I know it's been out for a while but it just got ported to the Mac and while I can't run it (system requirements issues) I'd just like opinions on it.

It's one of the first C&C games available for Mac, and so I'm actually just curious about the entire line now.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 29, 2003, 08:03   #2
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 13:23
I think it's pretty boring...

I have only played about 50% of one of the campaigns, but got pretty bored...

Don't ask me about MP though, I don't know others who plays RTS games more than 1 time a year... And I don't play online...

Dune 2 is much better, even though the graphics are a "little" out of date...
Old October 29, 2003, 08:39   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 11:23
It's crap. The Zero Hour expansion (stand alone? ) can be fun, however.

The original is nothing special, and the GDL nonsense ruins any potential it had. I felt like like the campaigns where designed by rumsfield or something.

I never got around to the campaigns in Zero Hour, but there's an american general that specializes in weapons of mass destruction, so they seem to have atleast gotten a sense of humour and droped the demonizing.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 29, 2003, 13:54   #4
Glen
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 11:23
The Single Player game its self is very poor compared to other C&C games. However I think the Multiplayer game can be fun, unless your planing on playing Multiplayer then i really would buy this game, in fact, even if you was going to play multiplayer i still wouldnt buy this game as im sure there are other games where you money would be spent more wisely.
Old October 29, 2003, 15:20   #5
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

That's the thing, on a Mac I don't have as many options, which is why I was curious about the first C&C game ported over.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 29, 2003, 15:26   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Even if other C&C games were ported, I wouldn't buy them if I were you... I have yet to see a C&C or Red Alert game that's fun for more than 10 minutes...
Old October 29, 2003, 15:28   #7
FlameFlash
Emperor

I like Stronghold... are they anything like that?

Old October 29, 2003, 15:31   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Nope, they're completely different (Stronghold is the game where you build a castle, right?)
Old October 29, 2003, 15:37   #9
FlameFlash
Emperor

/me nods.

Along with units to take over enemy castles. I suppose it's more in the style of warcraft, just with the bonus of building yourself a castle to protect everything.

Old October 30, 2003, 05:22   #10
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 20:23
wow so much truth has been stated above.

It would have been good to have seen these reviews before I slung 100 aussies over the counter.

FlameFlash, save your money.... the makers of C&C games are not in it for the players... not at all.

Try and get your hands on a copy of the original game...
Old October 30, 2003, 06:35   #11
Flip McWho
Warlord

Local Time: 23:23
Yeah i agree.

C&C Generals ain't that great at all. Neithers Zero Hour. Even though i have heard that this was better than the original Generals.

Quote:
I have yet to see a C&C or Red Alert game that's fun for more than 10 minutes...
Come on, these games where basic but they weren't that bad.
Old October 30, 2003, 06:42   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Sure, if Dune 2+ didn't exist I might have found them funny, but I'll prefer to play Dune 2+
Old October 30, 2003, 06:50   #13
Flip McWho
Warlord

Local Time: 23:23
Fair enough, each to their own.

I didn't mind the red alerts, i clocked all these games which is rather unusual for me. Didn't clock Yuri's Revenge though. Tiberian sun was kinda fun as well. Again didn't clock the expansion though.
Old October 31, 2003, 10:30   #14
FlameFlash
Emperor

Many thanks on all the reviews guys.

Old October 31, 2003, 21:41   #15
vee4473
King

Local Time: 06:23
It's very fun. The only complaint I have is the lack of USA anti-infantry defensive structures.

Be sure your computer can handle it however...lots of ram, a good vid card and decent cpu.

If you like RTS c&c games, this is your bag.
Old November 1, 2003, 03:31   #16
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 06:23
C&C generals never got me hooked. I dunno why.

From my limited knowledge of Generals (and experience from other RTS games) China seems to be too diesel. GLA is fun to play, and America is just lame. US does have neat upgrade for their tanks though.
Old November 1, 2003, 06:18   #17
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
Be sure your computer can handle it however...lots of ram, a good vid card and decent cpu.

Is there a specific reason why my computer can run the game without problems, but when a video is played, the gramerate goes down to about the half of the normal