Old October 28, 2003, 23:34   #31
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 07:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Wow, you have a MrFun complex.

MrFun is to Homosexuality as Ben Kenobi is to Star Wars.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old October 28, 2003, 23:36   #32
Thoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
I really should try that, but I love the Simpsons too much. And my parents love Law and Order, Law and Order SVU, Law and Order Criminal Intent, Law and Order Crime and Punishment, Law and Order Return of the Jedi, Law and Order The Lost World, Law and Order: An International Affair, etc. too much. Also CSI and clones.

edit: was an X-post with post above me.
Ok, I must confess to missing the Simpsons......and Babylon 5.
Old October 28, 2003, 23:37   #33
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 05:24
I will wait intently for Law and Order the Real World and Law and Order Survivor. NOw they will be cool!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old October 28, 2003, 23:45   #34
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 05:24
I'm appalled. No longer does McDonald's "Love to see me smile". Now, they put the weight on ME and expect ME to both love their food ("I'm lovin' it") and slaughter English at the same time.

But McDonald's food is worse than horse **** anyways, so it doesn't matter anyways.
Old October 28, 2003, 23:51   #35
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:24
Quote:
MrFun is to Homosexuality as Ben Kenobi is to Star Wars.

First thread I open in a day....
Old October 29, 2003, 01:44   #36
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:24
Reminds me of the target commercials. Remember, the ones where they feature college students and someone in the background keeps saying "I'm koo like dat, I'm koo like dat, ad naseum, I jive like dat, I jive like dat, I'm koo like dat, ad nauseum, again, yeah yeah.".

So far...The "New $20 Bill" commercial, the "I'm lovin' it" McDonalds commercial, and the "I'm koo like dat" Target commercials I personally consider too American for my tastes.
Old October 29, 2003, 01:51   #37
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Reminds me of the target commercials. Remember, the ones where they feature college students and someone in the background keeps saying "I'm koo like dat, I'm koo like dat, ad naseum, I jive like dat, I jive like dat, I'm koo like dat, ad nauseum, again, yeah yeah.".

So far...The "New $20 Bill" commercial, the "I'm lovin' it" McDonalds commercial, and the "I'm koo like dat" Target commercials I personally consider too American for my tastes.
I HATE that Target one!

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old October 29, 2003, 02:24   #38
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I much preferred the late 70s / early 80s McD's commercials.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 29, 2003, 02:58   #39
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

For those who want to view this massive one-minute monstrosity:

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=38750

Scroll down until you see the "hip" guy with the hair and click. But be warned...It's incredibly bad.

Continuing on...They have spent $100 mil on this commercial, but its surprisingly horrible. It's to commercials what Gigli was to movies. And they even dared use Asians (Read: Chinese ). They have no shame.

Here's a summary of what happends, for all the lazy/smart people out there:
Right when it begins, your innundated with the "Buh buh buh buh buh", which should warn you to immediately change the channel. For now I'm simply going to mute the computer, to save myself both the horror and embarassment that comes from it. So I will not appointment
According to WMP, at the VERY FIRST second you are witness to a *person of colour* (McDonalds is, of course, multiracial) eating a hamburger right in front of the camera. I note his eyes are closed and he's very aggressively eating it. This type of aggression can be noted when someone feels excited, aroused, or angry. It can also be observed in monkeys.
Also note in the background, it appears someone is dancing while eating a burger. This implies that McDonalds is *exciting*.
On second 2, someone is flipping a McDonalds French-Fries box in front of the camera. I estimate 90 percent of the camera (at moment of capture) is covered by this box. This box then falls out of the persons hand. How unfortunate.
Note that in the background, it appears that someone is concerned that the box was dropped. How INCREDIBLY sad
Then we see a dog in the sand. He jumps up to get a bone. This is beginning to remind me of that tape in "The Ring".
Then we see someone skateboarding. Umm...?
Then we see a man with very *manly muscles* putting his whole mouth over a *black* womans shoulder. Of course, it has icecream dripping down to her breast. Or what appears to be icecream. The colour is milky white. Kinky.
Then we see a person on a skateboard holding on to two dogs on a leash, obviously being pulled by them.
Then we see two girls cheering.
By now were five seconds into the video, and we see an *overweight person* on one of those inflatable chairs in a swimming pool. Ugh.
Suddenly, a man or boy cannonballs into the pool.
00:07. We see an adolecent teen in what appears to be one of those street vendors ala New York, and the words "I'm Lovin' (sic) It" appear for a split second.
The teen then gets an old record out.
00:08, we see a person doing that "head-on-the-ground-spinning-around" thing in what appears to be Mexico, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, or California. I hope to god it's not here in Utah.
00:09: We go back to the teen with the record. The teen puts it on and then gets a McDonalds burger and begins to eat it.
00:11: Back to the now apparent *person of colour* doing the "putting-one-hand-on-the-ground-and-spinning-around" trick.
00:12. A very disturbing scene...We see young adults-middle aged adults sitting on chairs arranged in sucession, like a caterpillar.
Then we see a woman, in the same office setting, bursting out. If her womanly parts were larger, one would be concerned about them coming out.
00:14: SAME setting, one officeworker (male) falls out on another male. They both look very happy. This indicates McDonalds is *sexually tolerant*. Yay MrFun!
00:15 sped fast too quickly and I don't want to wait for it to rebuffer, so you miss out on that. Not that it's a bad thing.
00:16. A woman at an apartment is either:
A) Checking her mail
B) Calling an elevator
C) Disabling electric power.
Her foot is on the door (not that you can notice until 00:17, when the door shuts on her). She is barefoot.
Then it zooms in on her with the classic "lines of a camera", where she seems angry that is closed.
Suddenly she drops papers, and some old man comes out. She's now hiding in the corner of the door.
The old man comes out, and as the door is shutting she runs in. Was she trying to break into his house?!
00:21. Back to the Western teen doing the "hand/head on the ground spinning) thing, again.
00:23. A person is outside of a small supermarket with her boyfriend/husband, and she seems to be doing kicks ala-kung fu.
00:24, she does something with her arms as if she's a kung-fu fighter.
Then she kicks. And it knocks out a milkshake that her boyfriend/husband was holding (Implied: McDonalds milkshake. Why would McDonalds have someone kick...?)
Suddenly she puts her hand over her mouth as if she is surprised. Seemingly has the intelligence of the averege American. Why would they portray McDonalds food in such a way?
Hey! Now we see Justin and some girl with long, straight dark hair on a high balcony. It's overcast.
0:28, we see people on skateboards doing the standard skateboard stuff.
00:28 still, we now see a man (shirtless with seemingly *manly muscles*" eating icecream (what a contrast!). And someone is (surprise) on a skateboard going past this *manly* man. Are they trying to target MrFun?
Someone on a diving board falls off of what seems to be a large oil platform.
00:31, now we see one of those bouncing cars and the words "I'm Lovin' (sic) It" come across.
Two people sneak up to this car.
00:34: The person in this car has those drumsticks and is pretending his steering wheel is a drum. This person looks suspiciously like the person handling the records.
The people who snuck up to the car do something, but I can't quite tell what.
00:35: Someone is thrown into a pool. This person is a girl, but more importantly shes a *person of colour*. She's smiling. How nice
00:36 A smiling person walks onto a bus. He's dressed in almost all yellow-and-green, but he stops smiling as he realizes
00:39 that everyone is wearing red-white. And they have McDonalds fries!
0039-0041: More teens doing the spinning on the ground tricks.
A yound-adult woman is handing a child to a teenager with spiked hair. The lense appears to be black-and-white, so I can't tell if this woman is special by being a person of colour. Sorry The woman was smiling at the teenager as if he was her husband. Promoting teenage sex are we?
00:44: The teenager with spiked hair is rubbing the baby like a father would. Poor child.
0045-0046: People skateboarding! Ha!
0047: An italian looking man riding a small red car nods his head in a suggestive way towards a teenager in an SUV!!! The SUV speeds past towards him. And McDonalds is in the background!
0051: A man stops his alarm clock. This goes by REALLY quickly.
0052: Two latinos are leaning against a brick wall, and a businessman puts down his suitcase.
0053: Two asian women, in Asian clothing, appear very happy. One is even blowing bubblegum. Does McDonalds have no shame?!
0054: The businessman in 0052 begins dancing for the Latinos and it's supposed to be hilarious.
Then the M appears, it fades to black, and the words "I'm Lovin' (sic) It" appear.
Suddenly we zoom out from a man eating a burger. His shirt is not completly tied up, so you can see his *manly muscles* showing through. He's surrounded by friends.

The commercial ends.
Old October 29, 2003, 04:57   #40
Sikander
King

Local Time: 04:24
How it effects me:

Second #1: I notice that some sort of commercial is beginning

Second #2: I turn the channel, turn off the sound, or get up to take a piss
Old October 29, 2003, 04:58   #41
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:24
Sounds truly dreadful.

And it seems that the corporations are trying to ram 'urban culture' (what a euphemism) down our throats with ferocity. Only on Sunday morning did I see a show which was dominated by people with 'urban' accents in hip-hop clothes, you know, very 'Brixton'. I find it very sad how the media latches onto one thing and then drops it. We all have different tastes...I do wish they'd stop playing on this popular culture thing - I don't reckon anything like a majority like it. Look at single sales in this country compared to the population of a country. It is minimal...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 29, 2003, 05:30   #42
Solly
Emperor

Just ignore it Prov. There is no fashion.
Old October 29, 2003, 05:48   #43
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Oh it's just the whole 'conform, conform, conform' thing...it does get rather irritating after a while...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 29, 2003, 07:49   #44
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 13:24
And I thought the German Spot was bad. But thankfullymost of it is cut ;=)
Old October 29, 2003, 08:14   #45
Q Classic
Emperor

that article tass listened to pretty much says the same things i've been saying:

Quote:
I think I can say without fear of contradiction that the commercial is off-putting to most of the non-target market -- for the reasons Bob Garfield so vividly described. If it doesn't register with kids, the corporate campaign could have a negative impact overall, and McDonald's will have spent $100 million for the privilege of alienating vast swatches of its customers.
Old October 29, 2003, 08:17   #46
Q Classic
Emperor

i saw the ad again.

forgot that you could tell who the slants were because they were wearing typical asian clothes, namely kimonos, which everyone always wears because it's so damn comfortable.
Old October 29, 2003, 13:24   #47
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

the ad was started by Munich advertisers... blame the Germans...
Old October 29, 2003, 13:27   #48
Q Classic
Emperor

so instead of american honkies in suits not knowing anything about what they're trying to sell, it's germans?

no wonder the ad is so ass-bad.
Old October 29, 2003, 13:32   #49
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Q Cubed:

don't you know? germans are to blame for everything...

and come on... imagine middle aged german men trying to be 'hip'. thats some scary ****
Old October 29, 2003, 13:46   #50
Japher
Emperor

Never saw the ad, but I just watched it through Tass' link, and I must say "Thanks for wasting my time!!!"
Old October 29, 2003, 13:49   #51
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:24
I like McDonald's food.
Old October 29, 2003, 13:50   #52
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
I really should try that, but I love the Simpsons too much. And my parents love Law and Order, Law and Order SVU, Law and Order Criminal Intent, Law and Order Crime and Punishment, Law and Order Return of the Jedi, Law and Order The Lost World, Law and Order: An International Affair, etc. too much. Also CSI and clones.

edit: was an X-post with post above me.
That's what the internet is for, silly.

I haven't watched TV in years, but I've watched Farscape in it's entirety, and have checked out a few other shows by downloading them. There are no commercials and you can watch the show on your own time.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 29, 2003, 13:53   #53
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
For those who want to view this massive one-minute monstrosity:

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=38750

Scroll down until you see the "hip" guy with the hair and click. But be warned...It's incredibly bad.
Are they trying to target the same demographic that trashes and burns McDonalds?

Do It Ourselves
Old October 31, 2003, 04:30   #54
The Mad Monk
Emperor

French farmers?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.