Old May 5, 2001, 21:31   #1
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 08:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Succession game
How do I go about setting up a succession game? The third difficulty level is about right for me. Probably that's too easy for most of you here. Still, I'd like to try.
Old May 9, 2001, 00:36   #2
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 18:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
This is pretty much how you start. Lay out some suggested rules, like version, difficulty level, number of turns, and whatever else. Then ask people to sign up. Once you get a group together, start the game and pass the save to the next person.

I have been very busy so it would not be fair of me to sign up right now, but I'll watch this thread to see if you need players. Maybe if you twist my arm.
Old May 10, 2001, 09:20   #3
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 23:01
I have been trying the OCC bloodlust succession and have enjoyed it so I'd be happy to join.

(But that's probably put paid to Skobism playing, he's the poor sap who has to clear up the mess I make in the bloodlust! Unless he wants his revenge - he could be just before me and set some real posers!!)
Old May 10, 2001, 10:21   #4
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 17:01
I'm interested, and I'm not a deity-level master - I play emperor. I do have limited time (weekends, mostly), so won't mind being an alternate if more able-scheduled players sign in. What are your conditions?

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
Old May 11, 2001, 00:22   #5
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:01
Count me in. I can turn in turns within seconds of receiving them.
Old May 11, 2001, 04:20   #6
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Well, it seems like I've sparked some interest but I've never done this before. How many turns are there in a full game? Also, I assume it's not a good idea to split turns evenly among x number of players because the person playing in the ancient age wouldn't get to do much at all. If someone can give me good ideas about this then I'll start a game.

Old May 11, 2001, 14:00   #7
Marquis de Sodaq
King

I have MGE - gave my older copy to a friend, but might be able to get it back for a re-install...
Old May 11, 2001, 14:15   #8
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Anatolia -- if you choose to take EST's advice and follow my example from the OCC bloodlust thread - don't forget that you can edit your own first post to make it say exactly what you want -- seems to me that you guys have got off on the right foot - and I wish you all the best of British - rather busy at the moment myself, or I would offer to join you - (always assuming that you would have me...)

------------------
Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library has been built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old May 11, 2001, 19:56   #9
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Wow, so much help! That's great. I'm moving to a new house this weekend (as I said earlier) so it might be a few days before I get my computer set up and the Internet connected. I have a cable connection so the guys have to come over and set it up for me. I should be up and running by Wednesday or Thursday and at that time I'll post the rules for the succession game.
Thanks again for your help. See you this week sometime.

Old May 11, 2001, 21:35   #10
MBloomIII
Prince

Local Time: 18:01
I've been very interested in playing a succession game as well. If it gets started, I'd definately like to sign up. Is a ZIP utility necessary for these things?

------------------
In the land of the free
And the not so often brave
There's both love or money
Now choose which you will save.
-Joe Jackson
Old May 12, 2001, 00:23   #11
East Street Trader
Prince

Anatolia

Have a look at the first post in the OCC bloodlust thread.

I'd say 20 turns per person (dropping at the discretion of those playing as our civ grows) might be a decent size of turn.

Ideally I suspect not always taking over from the same person and handing on to the same might be preferable but the advantage of a simple list such as SG gives in that game is clarity so lets go with such a list. You head it off and put the rest of us in order afterwards.

For a map I suggest a random medium sized one. Just go ahead and generate one. You pick the level, barb activity, age of world, continent/isthmus/whatever, which civ we are etc.

As to playing style I have a feeling we may be perfectionists rather than ICS players but shall we just let everyone do their own thing? If we switch wildly from one strategy to another I don't suppose we'll break any records but we'll have fun.

So, do a post with the order, play your 20 turns then e-mail to the second person in the list. SG helpfully put the e-mail addresses in his first post with his list but, actually, each player can readily enough get the next person's e-mail address from their profile.

We've got enough players now to start but if half a dozen more say they want to join, just amend your post with the list to include them in the order.

I must say I quite like keeping track of how we're doing in between turns so if folk feel like keeping a short log of what happens during their reign and posting that in this thread that would be good. Twenty turns can be quite short so it is no surprise if not a great deal goes on sometimes. Of course some gabby buggers can rabbit on endlessly even about very little .

Good luck to us, I say. Let the A1 beware, the Anatolians are upon them!

Damn. Forgot. There is one thing. We all need to play with the same game version. I've sort of assumed we'd use 2.42. Before you start us off we need to check. As I say, I'm a 2.42 user - anyone using other versions?
[This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old May 18, 2001, 09:49   #12
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

I'd like to join, if it's not too late.

Is this going to be bloodlust or AC?

Crow
Old May 18, 2001, 11:47   #13
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 19:01
I would like to try this also.
Can I do it with version 2.42?
Old May 21, 2001, 14:01   #14
Marquis de Sodaq
King

bump.

Anatolia, are you moved yet? Let us know when you are able to get this rolling... There seems to be ample interest.

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
Old May 22, 2001, 10:09   #15
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

2.42 or MGE?
I just realized most in this thread seem to have 2.42. I have MGE, does anyone else?