Old October 28, 2003, 20:15   #1
Blisterz
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Question about US Election history
A question for Americans in the house.
I was wondering if someone could tell, what is the closest an Independent has come to winning an election on the Fed level. I know there has been a few Indy Gov's, but I am pretty sure one has has never been president. The only Ind. I can think of ever running for president are Perot, Wallace, and Nader.

Any Info would be really helpful, thanks.

William Seward Burroughs
February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.
Old October 28, 2003, 20:37   #2
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 07:27
Best third party run was in... 1908? 1912? something like that.

Teddy Roosevelt (a former, and popular US president) created a new party called the Bull-Moose party and came in second. He split the votes of the Republicans and ended up with Democrat Woodrow Wilson getting elected.

Also John Anderson in 1980 had a pretty strong showing too as an Independent. I forget what he got, but it was like 10-20 percent.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old October 28, 2003, 20:43   #3
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

1912 was Wilson's victory.

It depends on what you consider an 'Independent', Blisterz. Does that mean not belonging to ANY party or not any 'major' party?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 28, 2003, 20:45   #4
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Due to the folks he cited I'm assuming any minor party.

Wasn't Wallace from the Dixie party? Or something like that?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old October 28, 2003, 20:47   #5
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Wallace was a third party, not sure the name. Thurmond in 1948 was in the Dixiecrat Party.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old October 28, 2003, 21:34   #6
Blisterz
Chieftain

Sorry, I guess I should of been clearer. When I say Independent I mean belonging to anyone but the big 2.

Off Topic : I am playing that old Dos Game power politics. I don't really know much about US politics and that makes the game a bit more intresting. Maybe you guys can tell me about about the people I am running againist (it is a fantasy game, you can run people from any era, Kenndedy vs. Regan). I made myself and Indy, and The Dem is John Connly and his running mate is John Glen, the Rep is David Duke and his running mate is Pat Robertson. Oh ya, my running mate is Barry Commoner. (I just picked people at random, I have no idea who any of those people are )

William Seward Burroughs
Old October 28, 2003, 21:37   #7
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
When I say Independent I mean belonging to anyone but the big 2.
Well the 'Big 2' didn't exist from 1800-1860 . In that era it was just the Democrat Party. The Republicans, which came from the Northern Whigs, ran their first candidate in 1856 (Fremont) and then Lincoln in 1860.

Quote:
I made myself and Indy, and The Dem is John Connly and his running mate is John Glen, the Rep is David Duke and his running mate is Pat Robertson.
I don't know Connly (maybe MtG does?). John Glenn is the former Senator from Ohio who was the first American in space. He's moderate left. David Duke is basically a fascist , and Robertson is one of the heads of the religious right.
Old October 28, 2003, 21:41   #8
Blisterz
Chieftain

sorry I spelled it's wrong it John Connally.

William Seward Burroughs
Old October 28, 2003, 21:50   #9
Joseph
King

Local Time: 04:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Blisterz
sorry I spelled it's wrong it John Connally.
He was the Governor of Texas and was hit by the magic bullet that the Gov. claims to have killed JF Kennedy. I don't remember him running for President, he may have, I just don't remember it.
Old October 28, 2003, 21:51   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Ah, he'd be a Southern Democrat type then... I don't know much more than him being a conservative Dem.
Old October 28, 2003, 22:03   #11
Blisterz
Chieftain

I don't think all the people you can select have ran for prez. I think it's just people that at some point were in the position that they 'could' of.

Well I am pretty left on all my issues but gun control and health care, so with both candidates being far right, at least I don't have to split the left votes

What about my running mate Barry Commoner, who is he?

William Seward Burroughs

Last edited by Blisterz; October 28, 2003 at 22:29.
Old October 28, 2003, 22:09   #12
Joseph
King

I found one. Andrew Johnson was Nat'l. Union party. It was made up of Republicans and War Democrats, Johnson was Democrat.

1. G. Washington party, none.
2. John Adams party, Federalist.
3. T. Jefferson party, Democratic-Republican (Democrat today).
8. Martin Van Buren was the first to drop Republican from Democratic-Republican.
9. W.H. Harrison was a Whig
10. J. Taylor was a Whig
12. Z. Taylor was a Whig
13. M. Fillmore was the last of the Whig.

The number above are the position that they served.
Old October 28, 2003, 22:21   #13
Joseph
King

Here is one for you.
The Democrate party has been around since 1801, but has only produce 18 Presidents.

The Republican party started in 1869 or so, but has produce, guess what, also 18 Presidents.
Since the Republican has been here only 9 Democrate has made it to the White House.

The Rep. are beating the Demo 2 to 1.
Old October 28, 2003, 23:22   #14
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Wallace was a third party, not sure the name.
American Independent Party.

Teddy Roosevelt's party was the Bullmoose Party...I think because he was a big fan of The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.
Old October 28, 2003, 23:31   #15
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Wallace was the last third party candidate to win any states, Ross Perot had more votes overall though. Teddy Roosevelt had them both beat though.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old October 28, 2003, 23:59   #16
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
Here is one for you.
The Democrate party has been around since 1801, but has only produce 18 Presidents.

The Republican party started in 1869 or so, but has produce, guess what, also 18 Presidents.
Since the Republican has been here only 9 Democrate has made it to the White House.

Well number of candidates doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as time in control. Remember that King FDR was in charge for like 20 years (really 12, but still).

The Republicans had a bunch of forgettable Presidents in the late 1800s. I suppose most only served for one term, so I guess they gain ground that way.

Old October 29, 2003, 00:03   #17
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Josephs statistics are a little misleading. Take a look at the early 20th century.

For the first 50 or so years of the century, control was split evenly time-wise, but I believe there were 6 Republicans: McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft, Harding, and Coolidge. The Dems had 3: Wilson, FDR, and Truman.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old October 29, 2003, 00:13   #18
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Well I crunched the numbers and Dems were in control for 100 years, and Reps for 92.

I didn't count Andrew Johnson in either tally though, I'm not sure what to make of him. The Almanac said he was a Democrat who was elected Vice-President by the Republicans under some other ticket. Who knows.

But either way my theory holds, even though its only an 8 year difference.

Old October 29, 2003, 00:35   #19
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
Today's republican party is not the same as the party of Ike and Dewey form just 50 years ago, far less that of Lincoln. Ditto the Dems of today are not much like the Dems of 1860. I think the only things that has stayed relatively stable are Democratic strength among the immigrant classes and labor unions, and a protestant center for the Republicans.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old October 29, 2003, 00:42   #20
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Teddy Roosevelt's party was the Bullmoose Party
Actually Roosevelt's party was the 'Progressive Party' but was nicknamed the Bull Moose Party after Roosevelt continued a speech after he was shot, saying he was a tough as a bull moose.
Old October 29, 2003, 02:56   #21
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Another reasonable successful 3rd-party candidate not mentioned yet was Robert LaFollette, who ran as the Progressive Party candidate in 1924. He got something like 17-18% of the popular vote and carried his home state of Wisconsin.
Old October 29, 2003, 08:25   #22
uh Clem
King

Local Time: 05:27
Perot didn't carry any states, but his overall percentage was higher than Wallace (1968) and Anderson (1980) combined.

TR's Progressive party was largely the liberal wing of the GOP. Yes, there was such a thing.

Quote:
the Rep is David Duke and his running mate is Pat Robertson.
Wow. Now there's the ticket from Hell.
Old October 29, 2003, 10:05   #23
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:27
David Duke has a nice name, though. I mean, 'Duke'. It's a name for a person born to rule. Er.

However, it still doesn't beat one of the best names for a politician (of sorts) ever - George Lincoln Rockwell. A pity he was a Nazi. In Finland, one of the best politician names ever was, IMHO, Taisto Sinisalo - who, on the other hand, was a hardcore Stalinist.

Extremists take all the best names, really.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old October 29, 2003, 10:24   #24
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
He was the Governor of Texas and was hit by the magic bullet that the Gov. claims to have killed JF Kennedy. I don't remember him running for President, he may have, I just don't remember it.
And the late '60s he switched parties to Republican and became a cabinet member under Nixon (sec of treasury?) ISTR he may have briefly run for Pres in 1980 or 1976, but fizzled early.
Old October 29, 2003, 10:27   #25
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
[I don't know Connly (maybe MtG does?). John Glenn is the former Senator from Ohio who was the first American in space. He's moderate left. .
I would call John Glenn moderate, period. To the eurolefties here he'd be moderate right.
Old October 29, 2003, 10:46   #26
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Today's republican party is not the same as the party of Ike and Dewey form just 50 years ago, far less that of Lincoln. Ditto the Dems of today are not much like the Dems of 1860. I think the only things that has stayed relatively stable are Democratic strength among the immigrant classes and labor unions, and a protestant center for the Republicans.

well the party of Ike and Dewey was also the party of Taft and Joe McCarthy. Even the party of Lincoln was also the party of Thurlow Weed, etc. The conservative strain in the GOP has been around since just after the civil war, and the alliance with industrial capital since the civil war.

American politics was transformed when the main class division ceased to be between finance capital and its southern planter allies, and unskilled Catholic immigrants on the one hand and industrial capital and its allies among northern skilled laborers and yeoman farmers on the other. which was the case in 1860 and thereafter, to the progressive era, when the growth of large financial industrial combines threatened large elements of the northern middle class, leading to the emergence of Progressive Republicanism(1900-1912) , to the emergence of organized Labor as the principle opposition to Capital, sending much of the middle class and northern farmers back to their alliance with Capital (1932-1956) to the emergence of a post-industrial society and resulting shifts (since 1960)

To put it in European terms, the GOP in the late 19thc embodied both the "National Liberal" and "Progressive? wings of the liberal movement, in uneasy combination - the Progressives, then called "mugwumps" often flirted with the Dems, who were closer to a european style conservative party - supported by Catholic and regional landholding (in the South) elements marginalized by the liberal capitalist ascendance. Unlike Europe, were the working class tended to find its own leadership in Socialist parties, for various reasons a strong independent socialist party never arose in the US, and the Progressive intellectuals took the old party of Catholics and Southerners and transformed it into a vehicle for a Progressive-Labor alliance - this is sometimes fondly called "the new deal coalition". The GOP became essentially a standard post-liberal conservative party - a coalition of Industry, farmers, and less progressive elements of the middle class.
Post-1945 the southern conservatives dropped out of the Dem coalition, but the Blacks went from the GOP to the Dems. From the '60s till today the Dems have been split between labor roots, and a progressive element more left on foreign and social policy, but deeply skeptical of the Social Democratic inclinations of blue collar dems. The GOP on the other hand has reached out to lower middle class whites, especially in the south, largely on the basis of their alliance with the fundamentalist Protestant right. The GOP is threatened by splits between a capitalist/libertarian/entrepreneurial wing and the religious wing, which split threatens the interests of the big corporate core. The Dems face the dilemma of attempting to go after the lost lower middle class elements on Social Dem grounds (the Gephardt strategy) at the expense of alienating the Progressive activists (the Dean vote)
Old October 29, 2003, 17:27   #27
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Sounds like a good analysis to me, Mark.

Old October 29, 2003, 17:30   #28
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Here is one for you.

That doesn't take into account the number of one-term Republicans, as well as one removed from office, another one who wasn't elected at all (Ford, not Bush), two questionables (Hayes and Bush II), and a four-term democrat.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Last edited by chequita guevara; October 29, 2003 at 17:37.
Old October 29, 2003, 17:40   #29
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Yea, I made that point above, Che.

As for actual number of years the two parties have each controled the White House, the Dems have had it for 100 years and the Reps for 92.

Old October 29, 2003, 21:41   #30
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP
Yea, I made that point above, Che.

As for actual number of years the two parties have each controled the White House, the Dems have had it for 100 years and the Reps for 92.
I wasn't counting the years that they held office, just what party they belong to when elected or appointed.

Question: How many years have Demo held office after 1861 vs. Rep?