Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 08:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf
$130 isn't that much money.
Have you ever been a college student?

That is all I am going to say to this dingbat.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old October 30, 2003, 17:26   #32
MattH
King

Local Time: 11:31
The new article link is here.
Old October 30, 2003, 17:29   #33
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Huh? They didn't have to upgrade.
There were a lot of fixes that you could only get by upgrading to XP.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 30, 2003, 17:57   #34
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 05:31
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
There were a lot of fixes that you could only get by upgrading to XP.
Name some.
Old October 30, 2003, 17:58   #35
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I wonder why Cloud9 hasn't posted here yet, he's obviously around.
Old October 30, 2003, 18:10   #36
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Name some.
I can't. I'm just regurgitating what I read in some PC magazine.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 30, 2003, 18:39   #37
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 06:31
1. not making the thing crash so damn much. quite a free fix from winme.

that's the only one i can think of.
Old October 30, 2003, 23:35   #38
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Have you ever been a college student?

That is all I am going to say to this dingbat.
Anyone who has a job and a computer can wipe his ass with $130 bills any day of the week. Wake up guys. And if you can't, you aren't serious about computers enough to make a serious investment and therefore should play on a playstation instead or something.

Don't forget, Panther will offer a return far greater than that of, say, a $20000 car for many users.

Note that no one has yet defined the exact flaws in Panther or its predessor or anything. All I've heard is vague.

I might go use the john now. Don't all start a complaint thread for the poor toliet paper.
Old October 31, 2003, 00:11   #39
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

On the other hand, upgrading to Panther could toast a lot of data. Another prime example of Apple's stellar beta testing.

http://news.com.com/2100-1045_3-5099...l?tag=nefd_top

Quote:
Panther glitch erases some hard drives
Last modified: October 30, 2003, 4:23 PM PST
By Ina Fried
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

A problem is causing some of those who install the new version of Mac OS X to lose the data that's stored on their external hard drives.

Apple Computer said the glitch is limited to external hard drives that use a high-speed FireWire connection and a particular chipset Oxford Semiconductor manufactures. The company encouraged those who have a drive that uses the chip to disconnect their drives from Macs that are being upgraded to Mac OS X version 10.3, or Panther.

"Apple has identified an issue with external FireWire hard drives using the Oxford 922 bridge chipset with firmware version 1.02 that can result in the loss of data stored on the disk drive," the company said in a statement provided to CNET News.com. "Apple is working with Oxford Semiconductor and affected drive manufacturers to resolve this issue, which resides in the Oxford 922 chipset."

An Oxford Semiconductor representative declined to comment.

Apple recommended that customers do not use drives that have the Oxford chip in question. "To stop using the drive, you should unmount or eject the disk drive before doing anything else," the company said.

Among the drives that are affected are the d2 series of FireWire 800 drives from LaCie. The company said the affected products have serial numbers less than "1339xxxxx" or "0339xxxxx". The drives shipped between April and the end of September.

"LaCie has been actively investigating these reports to identify the cause of the problems and to provide our customers with a solution," the company said in a statement.

LaCie added that it was able to test beta versions of Panther and did not experience the problem.

Panther, the latest version of Mac OS X, went on sale Friday. The new operating system adds more than 150 new features, including improvements on its Finder and mail programs, among other enhancements.
Old October 31, 2003, 02:14   #40
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:31
Tsk. Don't they even have a serious testing period before shipping their product? Will they charge for version 10.3a which will correct the glitch?
Old October 31, 2003, 03:12   #41
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:31
Quote:
you aren't serious about computers enough to make a serious investment and therefore should play on a playstation instead or something.
Not even Agathon is this over the edge.
This statement implies that someone gets a computer soley for gaming purposes. And while that may be true for some people...I highly doubt any of them decided to get a Mac That's one of the things the mac people have espousing for years, how they aren't some gaming console and that you "Buy a PC for games, and buy a Mac for business".
Your statement also implies that the patch is gaming-related. So unless this is true, I advise you drop the propaganda line.

Quote:
Anyone who has a job and a computer can wipe his ass with $130 bills any day of the week.
I wonder how old you are. One might think your in that phase of "prosperity" where you don't really have any financial obligations to speak of and you are making a "normal" income for your family (or lack thereof)...However, I can assure you soon that will all disappear.
My situation? My entire family is on medications. They cost roughly $15-50 (The insurance decided they didnt want to pay as much, so...) each.
I have a 5 person family (with 2 pets ) and the household income is roughly $30,000. We have many more expenses than you'll probably ever know.
So $130 is quite a bit to a family like us. But I suppose we are not the ones that Apple is targeting. I for one would never pay the prices they ask for such low-quality products, and then have to pay for the patch.
I'd much rather get a PC that does more for less.

Quote:
Tsk. Don't they even have a serious testing period before shipping their product? Will they charge for version 10.3a which will correct the glitch?
Hey, but only people who aren't serious about computers don't pay for the patch. They go play a playstation instead
Old October 31, 2003, 09:10   #42
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
Anyone who has a job and a computer can wipe his ass with $130 bills any day of the week. Wake up guys. And if you can't, you aren't serious about computers enough to make a serious investment and therefore should play on a playstation instead or something.
i would say that i grok computers.

well, i thought that $130 was a lot of money that we don't all have, but i guess i was wrong about that. thanks, wiggy, for wigging out and showing me the error of my assumptions.

===

Quote:
Note that no one has yet defined the exact flaws in Panther or its predessor or anything. All I've heard is vague.
check the apple boards. if you have an apple account, that is. i do, since i d/led darwin x86 a while back.
you'll see this firewire 800 mess isn't just illusory.

Last edited by Q Classic; November 2, 2003 at 12:00.
Old October 31, 2003, 15:13   #43
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Apple Will Fix Security Flaws in Jaguar
link

All this for nothing!
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old October 31, 2003, 15:31   #44
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Glad I just now noticed this link. Looks like the people over at Cnet are just as excited about bashing Macs as Asher, eh?

And everybody, college students get X.3 for ~$70, not ~$130.

Apple is very kind to students and anybody else involved with education.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 31, 2003, 15:42   #45
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash Apple is very kind to students and anybody else involved with education.
So is Microsoft, though.

/me waves around his free copy of Visual Studio .NET he got from the school
Old October 31, 2003, 15:44   #46
Q Classic
Emperor

microsoft has it where college students at chicago get xp and other microsoft products for $10-$15.
Old October 31, 2003, 15:46   #47
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

/me shrugs.

I'm not sporting either is 'better' I'm just sporting the fact that college students who want to use a Mac don't have to pay full price for X.3.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 31, 2003, 15:56   #48
Q Classic
Emperor

true, true.

even so, if i had a mac, i'd probably split the cost with a friend, given that the os doesn't have activation.
Old October 31, 2003, 16:04   #49
FlameFlash
Emperor

Of course, Apple also has a program (that M$ probably does too, Asher, can you confirm? ) that if you buy a new comp within the month that a new OS is released you can get the new OS for only $20.

I'm still yelling at a friend who did this though, since Apple made it clear when it was to release X.3 I'd think he'd have waited for another couple of weeks and then saved $20. Oh well, I'm going to 'help' him 'install' it.

Old October 31, 2003, 17:57   #50
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 08:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf

**** off man. I can't even spend that much in a week.... not to mention I have a ****ing large loan to pay off.

And secondly, my computer has been built up over time.

$130 for fees on upgrading is extortion.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old October 31, 2003, 19:12   #51
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

I'm getting goddamn tired of your ****, Asher. Why don't you prove yourself a real man and post your crap on a real Macintosh forum?

Get your butt over to: http://forums.maccentral.com/

Register and then proceed to post the crap you post here amid a safe, shallow sea of fellow PC users. There's more than one Mac user at MacCentral who would make a worthy counter-argument to the material you post.

Or maybe I should just point them in 'Poly's direction, but that'd be a no-no, wouldn't it? Forum invasions being frowned upon and all.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old October 31, 2003, 19:25   #52
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
I'm getting goddamn tired of your ****, Asher. Why don't you prove yourself a real man and post your crap on a real Macintosh forum?

Get your butt over to: http://forums.maccentral.com/

Register and then proceed to post the crap you post here amid a safe, shallow sea of fellow PC users. There's more than one Mac user at MacCentral who would make a worthy counter-argument to the material you post.

Or maybe I should just point them in 'Poly's direction, but that'd be a no-no, wouldn't it? Forum invasions being frowned upon and all.

Gatekeeper
Somebody needs to take a nap.
Old October 31, 2003, 19:27   #53
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Re: Apple Will Fix Security Flaws in Jaguar
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
link

All this for nothing!
The joy of public backlash.

Apple told the guys they weren't going to patch it, they did leave it unpatched, and once news got out and everyone *****ed they announced they'd patch it.

Voila.
Old October 31, 2003, 20:50   #54
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

http://news.com.com/2100-1044_3-5100...l?tag=nefd_top

Quote:
Spotty display riles some PowerBook buyers
Last modified: October 31, 2003, 11:11 AM PST
By Matt Hines
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Hundreds of owners of Apple Computer's new 15-inch PowerBook G4 are complaining about an apparent design fault that causes white spots to show up on the notebook computer's liquid crystal display.

Apple said on Friday that it is looking into the problem. More than 650 individuals have signed an online petition demanding that the Cupertino, Calif.-based company address the issue.

According to postings on Apple's online user forum, many PowerBook owners have experienced the problem, which causes white markings to appear on the laptop's screen. By most of these accounts, the spots are less than one inch in diameter. However, some people reported seeing multiple spots on their computers.

Complaints about the problem have been cropping up on several Apple enthusiast sites in recent days.

In response, the Mac maker issued the following statement Friday: "The new 15-inch PowerBook has been a big hit with customers since its introduction last month. However, some customers are reporting the appearance of faint white spots on their displays after using the system for a short period of time, and Apple is investigating these reports right now. Any customers experiencing this problem should contact AppleCare."

Apple introduced the high-end 15-inch PowerBook in September. At that time, Apple CEO Steve Jobs said the device "sets the bar for professional notebooks even higher." The computer features a 15.2-inch (diagonal) widescreen display with 1280-by-854-pixel resolution.

Shortly after the notebook computers were released, going by the timing of the user group postings, PowerBook owners began sending messages to Apple's support site, trying to find an explanation for the spots.

Some users reported that they had noticed the distracting flaw immediately upon turning on the new computers, while others said the spots materialized over time. Some PowerBook buyers said they first saw the spots after getting machines back from Apple that had been returned for other repairs.

One explanation of what could be causing the spots was posted to the computer maker's Web site by a self-identified "Apple technician," who claimed to have taken apart his PowerBook to investigate the problem. According to that posting, the notebook incorporates several spacers behind its LCD screen that could be putting pressure on the display and causing the white spots to appear. The posting said the spacers were utilized in the PowerBook's design in order to keep the computer's aluminum casing from bending.

The 15-inch PowerBook G4 comes in two models. One is a 1GHz model that sells for $1,999 and includes 256MB of double data rate (DDR) memory, a 60GB hard drive and a combination drive that can play DVDs and burn CDs. A 1.25GHz version that's priced at $2,599 adds AirPort Extreme plus a backlit keyboard. It comes with 512MB of DDR memory, an 80GB hard drive and a drive that can burn both DVDs and CDs.
Old October 31, 2003, 22:19   #55
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
http://news.com.com/2100-1044_3-5100...l?tag=nefd_top

So Apple's customers are having some minor problems with one of Apple's newest products: the Aluminum Powerbook. Big deal. Stuff like that happens to all kinds of new products on the market. The best thing a company can do in a situation like this is to fix the problem ASAP, which is what Apple is doing right now.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old October 31, 2003, 23:11   #56
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Prevent kids from learning how to use computers while they are young, and they'll stick with Microsoft for life.
Old October 31, 2003, 23:15   #57
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
So Apple's customers are having some minor problems with one of Apple's newest products: the Aluminum Powerbook. Big deal. Stuff like that happens to all kinds of new products on the market. The best thing a company can do in a situation like this is to fix the problem ASAP, which is what Apple is doing right now.
To me it smells like lack of adequate testing -- a familiar tune with Apple products these days.

I don't see crap like this about IBM's ThinkPads, why is that? ThinkPads even outsell Apple's laptops.
Old October 31, 2003, 23:53   #58
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:

To me it smells like lack of adequate testing -- a familiar tune with Apple products these days.

I don't see crap like this about IBM's ThinkPads, why is that? ThinkPads even outsell Apple's laptops.
Dang Asher, you're narrowing things down quite a bit, aren't you?

Minor problems like this happens to all kinds of new products from all companies in all industries all the time. It's nothing to be too concerned about.
Old November 1, 2003, 00:07   #59
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
Minor problems like this happens to all kinds of new products from all companies in all industries all the time. It's nothing to be too concerned about.
White blotches on your screen are not, IMO, a "minor" problem.
Old November 1, 2003, 00:22   #60
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
Prevent kids from learning how to use computers while they are young, and they'll stick with Microsoft for life.
I learned how to use a computer when I was four, so the theory doesn't hold.