Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 12:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by zorbop
for the first course we could just combine "the power of seafaring" and "the power of agriculture" by just being the dutch in an epic game.
The Dutch are an incredible civ for an epic game, especially when they as agricultural civ additionally succeed to grab the Pyramids. But AU is not about epic games. Good thing the AU games are not a must, so you can play your Dutch game anyway. I for my part will.
Old October 31, 2003, 14:18   #32
cracky
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:32
The Power of Seafaring
Well, based on the the Portugese thread over in the Conquests forum, I'd like to throw my hat in for them. A caravel that *doesn't sink on ocean tiles*! But, to be honest, I'd be happy with any seafaring game (and I'm more than a little interested to see the greek fire animation (please let there be a greek fire animation).

About the AU mod. Are the AU games for Conquests going to use the old AU mod until one is hammered out for Conquests, or are we going to see a few 'vanilla' Conquests games first? I kind of think, and I could have sworn I read this somewhere, but it can't hurt to double check, that we should just play the game as is until the new mod is hammered out.
Old October 31, 2003, 14:23   #33
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 06:32
I think we should play a couple of vanilla Conquests games first, as the mod won't be really good before a certain period of time after Conquests is released.
Old October 31, 2003, 23:54   #34
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:32
Yes, I believe we're going to (and rightfully so) create a whole new version for the AU mod for Conquests "from the bottom up". This should take some time. First we have to all familiarize ourselves with the new gameplay (yes, there are some very significant changes), and then we have to come up with and agree on the modifications we want to include. I would be happy if the first version of the C3C AU mod were available about a month after the game's release.

Dominae
Old November 1, 2003, 03:59   #35
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 04:32
Even a month might be pushing it but we'll see. It will take some time to iron out the kinks.
Old November 2, 2003, 13:10   #36
pvzh
C3CDG Team Babylon
Warlord

New AU mod should not include all things from the start. We can start from very little and add more and more. For example, I am pretty sure that C3C will not have archers/longbowmen with bombardment of 0 range, so the AU mod 1.0 could be just that.
Old November 2, 2003, 13:43   #37
Tassadar500
Emperor

pvzh what advantage does that give us?
Old November 2, 2003, 15:36   #38
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I agree, we should play some vanilla AU games for a while... 2 months for the AU C3C Mod is my guess.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 2, 2003, 15:38   #39
Tassadar500
Emperor

So what civ are we planning to be? Portugese or Byzantines?
Old November 3, 2003, 23:15   #40
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

I could do either BUT I would REALLY like to try out the new Portugese Caravel.

Just MHO
Old November 4, 2003, 09:14   #41
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by pvzh
For example, I am pretty sure that C3C will not have archers/longbowmen with bombardment of 0 range, so the AU mod 1.0 could be just that.
Yes they do, according to Jesse Smith:

Quote:
• Archer upgrade tree - Defensive 1st Strike

Link: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...67#post2455467
Old November 4, 2003, 09:15   #42
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:32
Quote:
Originally posted by pvzh
I am pretty sure that C3C will not have archers/longbowmen with bombardment of 0 range
Actually they do, from what I've been reading. Perhaps a product of some AU players being beta testers?
Old November 4, 2003, 09:16   #43
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:32
Weird. No posts in a thread in 12 hours and then two people come along at once and cross-post essentially the same reply.
Old November 4, 2003, 09:19   #44
Stuie
King

Beat ya by one minute!
Old November 7, 2003, 20:40   #45
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'd like to suggest that:

1) We hold off a little bit on the next AU course. People worldwide have to get their hands on C3C, and mess around a bit with it.

2) Many of us are just damn over-committed, between the various DGs, eagerly getting familiar with C3C, and of course RL (and burnout too, I guess).

3) When we do get going... do we start with the scenarios or regular games? I was sorta thinking let everyone play out the tutorial scenarios, and then collaboratively do Rise of Rome?

4) We should prolly do the first one or two C3C courses stock, but there is the discussion of the new AU Mod.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 7, 2003, 21:11   #46
cracky
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I'd like to suggest that:

1) We hold off a little bit on the next AU course. People worldwide have to get their hands on C3C, and mess around a bit with it.
Definitely. In the meantime there's pleanty of messing that needs to be done by those of us who got lucky and already have the game.

Quote:
3) When we do get going... do we start with the scenarios or regular games? I was sorta thinking let everyone play out the tutorial scenarios, and then collaboratively do Rise of Rome?

I'm not so sure about this bit. I kind of think we should do an epic game and not one of the scenarios. The scenarios already provide a sort of AU course in themselves; set starting postions and challenges that can be compared/contrasted for strat tips and what not. Speaking of which, should we get some threads going on the various scenarios?

I'm also not so sure about the collaborative part. Didn't the AUSG threads die out through, not lack of interest exactly, but too large a difference in playing styles?
Old November 7, 2003, 21:14   #47
Tassadar500
Emperor

The AUSG mainly died out because the game was already won at that point