Old October 31, 2003, 19:47   #31
Fve Crathva
Warlord

Local Time: 04:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If you land in Vancouver, hop a ferry over to Victoria for a day. It's cleaner, has better weather, is smaller, has more tourist attractions, and I'll loan you my unlimited bus pass.

SP
Old October 31, 2003, 20:14   #32
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:34
Sounds good. Thanks.
Old October 31, 2003, 21:17   #33
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 23:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Oh hell. Visas.

Do I need a Visa for travelling into and through any of these countries for about a month?
USA, Canada, Oz, NZ, Fiji, Mexico.

And where's Mobius.
If you have a British passport, you receive a visitors permit in your passport, valid for 6 months.

Naturally, you must:
hold a valid ticket to a country you have the right of entry to; and
have sufficient money to support yourself during your stay; and
hold a passport valid for 3 months beyond the date you are leaving New Zealand; and
only wish to visit New Zealand for the time granted on arrival (if you wish to visit for a longer period you will need to apply for a Visitor's Visa).
Old October 31, 2003, 21:20   #34
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Excellent. Thanks Frozzy
Old November 1, 2003, 20:09   #35
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Well it turns out the BA etc. consortium can get me to Madagascar then Australia, but only via Mauritius and Johannesburg (twice), at a cost of roughly four grand. So it looks like Air France is the way to go. Whoo!
Old November 2, 2003, 08:21   #36
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:34
France saves the day again.
Old November 2, 2003, 09:11   #37
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 22:34
Quote:
The plan so far is fly from Madagascar to Adelaide, then get the train to Darwin, stopping off for a week in Alice. The fly to Cairns and see the reef for a bit, before flying on to NZ. Get the train down the spine, and fly off to... and then I think Austin then, Vancouver, Chicago, Montreal or NYC?

Then to Europe: Milan, Prague, Helsinki, London.
You better ****ing visit Sydney too, or I will be forced to call you a skanky wench.
Old November 2, 2003, 09:24   #38
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I'd agree with Skanky, if your going to Australia, it would be a shame to skip Sydney.

I'm still trying to decide where I'll go, now I've decided I want to go travelling. However with doing exams in June, and wanting to go to Glasto and Reading, that only leaves me fromthe end of June to the middle of August to go travelling. Also having almost no money is kinda a problem. However I can get a Europe inter-rail ticket, stay in Youth Hostels and travel round Europe, which shouldn't cost the Earth.

Where to go in Europe is another matter though. I'd like to see Scandinavia, Eastern Europe (former commie bloc) and Southern Italy, but not sure how to do it, and which places are worth visiting. Any ideas would be welcomed Oh, and I also plan to spend at least a few days in Shetland, since I haven't been back there since I was 6.

As for any other places for you, if your in Milan, I suggest spending a couple of days in Florence. Even if art isn't your thing, it's a great place, and there is so much to see there. Just to see Michealangelo's David it's worth the trip, and there's so much more than that there.

Can some of the Scandinavian people here give me a few ideas of places worth visiting, since I know practically nothing about the geography up there, but I'd love to go see.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old November 2, 2003, 09:27   #39
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Steady income, approaching zero outgoings.
I wish I was like that. Steady income, almost as high expenditure, and that's without paying for rent. Although I do pay for food, car and going out, the latter of which is huge

Old November 2, 2003, 09:30   #40
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Always a good thing.
Old November 2, 2003, 10:14   #41
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

From Mauritius to Adelaide, without going via Europe or South Africa? Impossible, surely?

(My guess would be that a return flight to Madagascar from europe and one to Adelaide from europe together would be about a third of that four grand price. Worth checking out I'd say, it wouldn't be more than perhaps 12 hours extra flight time.)
Old November 2, 2003, 10:20   #42
Drogue
staff

A return flight from Madagascar and then to Oz? That would cost a lot. 4 grand is way to much, but flights from UK to Madagascar will likely be over a grand, and to Oz is near a grand. Surely you can get a round thew world ticket though? That shouldn't be more than a couple of grand, stopping say 10-15 times, and will take you from Oz right back to the UK.

Old November 2, 2003, 10:27   #43
Skanky Burns

Now that I think about it, who the hell would deliberately go to Adelaide?
Old November 2, 2003, 19:50   #44
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
From Mauritius to Adelaide, without going via Europe or South Africa? Impossible, surely?
If you meant Madagascar to Adelaide... Yeah, it looks like if I can do it in one trip, I'll be going through Johannesburg. The only other way would be to get Air Mauritius, which does do Mauritius to Adelaide direct, and Madagascar-Mauritius direct. But that would be another £800 since none of the round-the-world consortia will let me do it.
Quote:
(My guess would be that a return flight to Madagascar from europe and one to Adelaide from europe together would be about a third of that four grand price. Worth checking out I'd say, it wouldn't be more than perhaps 12 hours extra flight time.)
This is looking the most likely option. There isn't any other way to get from Africa (including SA) to Australia on the same ticket.

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
A return flight from Madagascar and then to Oz? That would cost a lot. 4 grand is way to much, but flights from UK to Madagascar will likely be over a grand, and to Oz is near a grand. Surely you can get a round thew world ticket though? That shouldn't be more than a couple of grand, stopping say 10-15 times, and will take you from Oz right back to the UK.
Return to Madagascar is about £800-900. A RTW then would have to include Oz and America, but not Africa, so would come down to about £1200-1300 I think.

Skanky: I may go to Sydney, I was planning to get the train down from Cairns, it seems quite reasonably priced. I'm going to Adelaide to catch the Ghan