Old October 30, 2003, 22:35   #1
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 11:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How Will the US Meet Its Committments?
It's becoming increasingly clear that with all of the new international deployments and committments forced on the military, more personnel will be needed to both meet these committments, and maintain a large enough "strategic reserve" to meet unforseen contingencies.

So, one obvious answer to this problem is to reduce the number of committments worldwide, however, that doesn't seem to be a realistic option, given the current Administration.

The solution then becomes to increase numbers of personnel in the military - or at least combat soldiers. What is the best way to do this? The options I see are as follows:

Persuade the international community to provide more forces

The downsides here are that these troops would not be used to working with the US military; language barriers; the fact that much of the world is none too happy with the US right now; and the fact that greater international contingents could conceivably lead to foreign officers commanding US troops, something that isn't desirable (to the US, anyway).

Re-establishing the draft

Undesirable for obvious reasons - and the military doesn't want conscripts anyway.

Increase enlistments through greater enticements

Possibly the best solution, given the fact that more manpower must be found, however, the downside here is that this would be expensive.

Any other views?
Old October 30, 2003, 22:38   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Well, we can't ask the international community. They'll say "OK. Any country that wants to can ", and then send a meager amount.
Exception: Poland. They love us, and we love them because their gonna be a superpower

Second: Ha! That'll never happen.

Third: Best option. It will cost more, yes, but that is the solution to this problem.
Old October 30, 2003, 22:40   #3
David Floyd
Emperor

It may sound like it is the best solution, but somehow I doubt its effectiveness. I, for one, would be extremely unwilling to sign up for the military right now, knowing there would be a chance I'd end up in Iraq, regardless of the enticement. I imagine many other people my age would feel the same way.
Old October 30, 2003, 22:42   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Well, it's certainly better than international forces, and...Well, I don't have to explain why the draft would never work
Old October 30, 2003, 22:42   #5
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 07:35
Quote:
So, one obvious answer to this problem is to reduce the number of committments worldwide, however, that doesn't seem to be a realistic option, given the current Administration.
The US is reducing its commitments as we type.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 30, 2003, 22:48   #6
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
The US is reducing its commitments as we type.
Not where it counts. The US isn't going to be able to maintain such a large occupation force in Iraq, with substantial forces in Afghanistan, Korea, etc., and still maintain a credible strategic reserve of more than a division or so - and that division will probably be on rotation back home from deployment, anyway.

When I say "reduce committments", I'm talking about major ones involving brigade- or division-sized forces, from major theaters - Iraq and Afghanistan, for starters. And I hate to make a Vietnam comparison WRT to Iraq, as this isn't really an Iraq thread, but the fact is that US casualties are going to continue, and even increase, as long as the US stays in Iraq.
Old October 31, 2003, 01:17   #7
DanS
Deity

Quote:
The US isn't going to be able to maintain such a large occupation force in Iraq
Why would we maintain such a large occupation force in Iraq?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 31, 2003, 01:20   #8
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 05:35
we sould have zuxiliaryts

KJon Mil;er
Old October 31, 2003, 01:24   #9
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Why would we maintain such a large occupation force in Iraq?
I see few indications of a large scale withdrawal, although admittedly, that's hardly conclusive evidence.

In any case, though, you must admit that the US military needs more combat personnel. The invasion of Iraq was run nearly on a shoestring.
Old October 31, 2003, 01:58   #10
DanS
Deity

We now have some 120,000 troops in Iraq. As I understand it, we have been withdrawing troops slowly over the last couple of months.
Old October 31, 2003, 02:24   #11
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

Local Time: 06:35
What about if the US only drafts right wing Apolytoners ?
They shouldn't even have to be American citizens... sort of a Foreign Legion...

... actually, a US Foreign Legion might not be a bad idea ... I bet a lot of impoverished folks would join up. Maybe they could even be granted full US citizenship if they reach the rank of sergeant/major or equivalent ...
Old October 31, 2003, 02:40   #12
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 03:35
Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
I bet a lot of impoverished folks would join up. Maybe they could even be granted full US citizenship if they reach the rank of sergeant/major or equivalent ...
We already have that. Non-US citizens can join the military, and after 7 years, they automatically become US citizens. However, they have to be legal immigrants and stay in the military for 7 years.
Old October 31, 2003, 02:51   #13
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by POTUS

We already have that. Non-US citizens can join the military, and after 7 years, they automatically become US citizens. However, they have to be legal immigrants and stay in the military for 7 years.
The French Foreign Legion didn't require members to be legal immigrants. Generally they were assigned to the really bad postings and other cannon fodder positions. Wouldn't it be great to send 100,000 "American" troups into the wilds of Afghanistan to finish the job there? All you'd be putting to risk is foreign nationals, and America can take the credit !
Old October 31, 2003, 03:24   #14
germanos
King

Local Time: 13:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Sparky

The French Foreign Legion didn't require members to be legal immigrants. Generally they were assigned to the really bad postings and other cannon fodder positions. Wouldn't it be great to send 100,000 "American" troups into the wilds of Afghanistan to finish the job there? All you'd be putting to risk is foreign nationals, and America can take the credit !
Hey! You just stole Osama's idea!

And isn't it so that the US wants to fight those countries who alledgedly use the same tactics? (Syria and Iran)

I get the feeling the world is at a much worse point I could have ever imagined.
Old October 31, 2003, 03:50   #15
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

Actually, the French Foreign Legion was just a variation on the mercenary theme... but even Dubbya isn't dumb enough to suggest the US hire mercenaries.

He would much rather spend billions of $$ and call them "allies". Foreign Legion would be cheaper.
Old October 31, 2003, 04:26   #16
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

"mercenaries" is soooo last century.

We call them PMCs now (Private Military Companies)
Old October 31, 2003, 04:29   #17
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
We now have some 120,000 troops in Iraq. As I understand it, we have been withdrawing troops slowly over the last couple of months.
There's a lot of loggies, squids and airedales that are sort of ToaB for occupation purposes, and other sorts of REMF's like 1 CAB and MP's and stuff which are useful, so there's a transformation of force, more than a real reduction. We're also thinning some things out, and lowering our density in Indian Country, such as by having only a single brigade of 82 ABD in country. That's not necessarily a good solution either way.
Old October 31, 2003, 06:22   #18
Sikander
King

Local Time: 04:35
Increasing the size of the American military might be a good idea, especially while the jobless recovery is still on.