Old October 31, 2003, 01:39   #1
cracky
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A question about patching...
With Conquests coming out, I've finally broken down and decided to get Civ 3 for the PC. Now, if I'm planning on immidiately installing Conquests, do I still need to upgrade to the latest patch, or is this included on the Conquests CD?

Also, offhand, does anyone know how well Civ 3 works with Windows 95? Or should I just get 98, or even higher? (I'm a dyed in the wool mac user, so I don't know these kind of things )
Old October 31, 2003, 01:51   #2
zorbop
Warlord

Local Time: 05:35
Not sure if it works on windows 95 or not, but conquests will come with all the previous patches already on it. You should not have to download any (exept upcoming conquest patches, that is)
Old October 31, 2003, 01:53   #3
cracky
Chieftain

Thanks
Yes, I figured as much, but better safe than sorry.

The system requirements for Conquests includes Windows 95, but I'll probably end up with 98 just to be on the safe side.
Old October 31, 2003, 02:06   #4
cracky
Chieftain

Woops
Though Amazon.com includes Windows 95 in the system requirements, the conquests faq at http://civ3.com/conq_faq.cfm does NOT.
Old October 31, 2003, 03:12   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:35
I would think it would not work on Win95 as it requires Direct x 8.1 and I doubt that is part of Win95.
Old October 31, 2003, 04:04   #6
cracky
Chieftain

Yeah,
that was the requirement that led me to start fishing for system requirements.

Actually, the last windows I used *was* 95. Hell if I can remember now what version of DirectX they were up to before 98 came out. Doesn't matter though, I've found a 98 CD.

As a side note, I just realized there's a whole Conquests forum.... So much for going to bed early tonight. $Deity help me if I find one over at cfc as well.
Old October 31, 2003, 14:56   #7
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 04:35
Re: Thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by cracky
Yes, I figured as much, but better safe than sorry.

The system requirements for Conquests includes Windows 95, but I'll probably end up with 98 just to be on the safe side.
If your going to upgrade your OS anyway, don't even bother with 98, just go for XP. It's a much better platform. 98 is notoriously unstable.
Old October 31, 2003, 14:58   #8
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 04:35
Re: Yeah,
Quote:
$Deity help me if I find one over at cfc as well.
Well they have one there too, so I guess you won't be going to bed for a couple of days then.
Old October 31, 2003, 17:33   #9
cracky
Chieftain

Yes, I know
Oh well, I guess reading about all the new units and seafaring/agriculture was a good way to spend the night before a midterm. Now I have nothing to do all weekend but anticipate!

As for Windows, this is a fairly tame PC we're talking about here, and it has a very weird chip, a 700 Mhz Via Samuel2 (go China!). I don't know how well either Windows 98 or XP will handle it, but since the only reason I'll be using the Windows partition is for Conquests, and I have a 98 CD sitting in a drawer next to me and no access to an XP CD, I don't really see the need to go blow $170 on XP. Though, if I get too many crashes I'll certainly consider it...

Thanks for the heads-up though.
Old October 31, 2003, 17:46   #10
vmxa1
Deity

I have an Win98SE PC going and it rarely crashes. No new drivers have been added in at least a year. It has Direct X 8.1 and plays CivIII and PTW just fine.
I do prefer my XP system though and that is my main PC.
Old November 1, 2003, 05:39   #11
cracky
Chieftain

well, THAT was fun
Well, 98 is installed, updated, patched, latest drivers downloaded, those got patched. Pretty much anything that'll cause a reboot, I've done tonight (up to 385,199 reboots so far tonight)......

...and of course Civ 3 Gold is installed! yay, my first games with the PTW civs (little behind the curve, ain't I?). Anyway, the upshot of this whole thing is that (Obviously. Doesn't everyone?) I need a faster computer . When the opening movie is choppy, and occasionally I see a worker multiply three or four times while moving from one tile to another, it's time to upgrade.

But, do I care? Nope. 'cause as soon as I saw that Civ *will* run, I went and preordered Conquests, heh heh.
Old November 1, 2003, 13:09   #12
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 13:35
Re: well, THAT was fun
Quote:
Well, 98 is installed, updated, patched, latest drivers downloaded, those got patched. Pretty much anything that'll cause a reboot, I've done tonight (up to 385,199 reboots so far tonight)......

...and of course Civ 3 Gold is installed! yay, my first games with the PTW civs (little behind the curve, ain't I?). Anyway, the upshot of this whole thing is that (Obviously. Doesn't everyone?) I need a faster computer . When the opening movie is choppy, and occasionally I see a worker multiply three or four times while moving from one tile to another, it's time to upgrade.

But, do I care? Nope. 'cause as soon as I saw that Civ *will* run, I went and preordered Conquests, heh heh.

hi ,

what you have on ram

defrag , close of everything that you dont need ( big saver there )

have a nice day
Old November 1, 2003, 16:13   #13
cracky
Chieftain

Meh.
Closing everything doesn't really help, and it has 256M of RAM. The thing is, I never expected to put windows on this machine. It was just supposed to sit in the closet, humming away, being my firewall and file/web servers. But, it'll have to do for Civ until I talk myself into ponying up the dough for a new machine....

...anyway, back on topic , I don't really need to worry about patching. The Civ 3 Gold edition is already up to date with 1.27f.
Old November 1, 2003, 16:41   #14
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 06:35
It may be too late, but you could have just bought the original Civ 3 and then Conquests, and ignore the gold edition. Conquests holds all the improvements in PTW, so you don't have to buy both.

Probably too late, but you could have saved a couple of bucks...

--Kon--
Old November 1, 2003, 17:03   #15
cracky
Chieftain

Yes, it is too late heh heh.
But I went to three stores and nobody had the regular Civ3, only the gold. I suppose I could have ordered the regular version along with Conquests, but I wanted to make sure it'd run before ordering Conquests... ...and it does run, just not speedily
Old November 1, 2003, 18:22   #16
vmxa1
Deity

If you look on cruical.dom or already know the mem in that box, I would add another stick. Get to at least 384 or 512MB. You can buy mem for the price of the game for the non cutting edge stuff.

Civ does not really need more than that and Win98 has no clue as to what to due with more. Turn of animation for all but your battles. Look at the read me and find the INI setting to turn off the movies. Set desktop to 1024.
Old November 1, 2003, 19:30   #17
cracky
Chieftain

I really appreciate all the help guys, but I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with the slowsies for now.

For one thing, the video card (along with pretty much everything else) is on the motherboard. It doesn't have *any* RAM to itself. I've given it 64 megs in the BIOS, which helped a bit. I reduced my regular screen resolution down to 640x480 (actually, I might have overdone this, seems like civ UPs the resolution now. Both RAM slots are full (each w/ 128M sticks, and I'm not really willing to go buy more RAM, I'd rather return this computer to its former blockade duty and just buy a decent used one off of craigslist or something like it in a month or two.). I've already turned off all the animations , well except for the enemy moves. Seems like I always miss something crucial at some point in the game if I turn those off.

Oh well, back to my first Celtic game. I'm stuck on a 10 city island (w/ two luxuries however!) with the Mongols, Japanese, and Vikings on the mainland. I'm starting to catch up in tech, but I just got mapmaking. And back to REX'ing I go.
Old November 2, 2003, 00:33   #18
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 13:35
Re: Yes, it is too late heh heh.
Quote:
But I went to three stores and nobody had the regular Civ3, only the gold. I suppose I could have ordered the regular version along with Conquests, but I wanted to make sure it'd run before ordering Conquests... ...and it does run, just not speedily

hi ,

nah , you did good , imagine you have to play with someone who has only ptw , .... you save the use of a disk and with the gold edition you get everything together , .....

and waiting for platinum is still to far away

have a nice day