Old October 31, 2003, 18:26   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 11:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Just....checkin' in! :D
Hey guys! Long time, I know....was missing this place after recently firing up SMAX (which, to this day, remains on my hard drive!)....had to come home...

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old October 31, 2003, 18:49   #2
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 06:38
Who were you again?

It's on the tip of my tongue, but...

Oh!

Weren't you on that sitcom?
Old October 31, 2003, 18:58   #3
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 07:38
Hello Velociryx!

Welcome back! Although an odd day to pop back up...

And if you didn't think anyone could teach an old dog (SMAX) new tricks, why maybe you should check out the CGN Halloween Challenge .

Regardless, hope you stay around a while and impart some wisdom onto this generation of SMAC(X) players!

D
Old October 31, 2003, 18:58   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

No, that was that other guy! I'm best known for dressing up in a purple dinosaur costume and....erm....nahhhh, that wasn't me either!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old October 31, 2003, 19:00   #5
Velociryx
staff

And thanks for the words of welcome, Darsnan! Will definitely do some reading in the thread you included!

As for stickin' around....sure, I can sit a spell! What's been going on lately?

-=Vel=-
Old October 31, 2003, 19:40   #6
Z|insane
Settler

Hmmm I seem to be the new person here. You have quite the name for your self here... Must buy book and laptop collection!!

Edit: Spelling Error..
Old November 1, 2003, 00:38   #7
Ancyrean
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:38
Hi Vel,

I've been playing following this forum for quite a long time and playing SMAC/X for even longer, and I recently downloaded your guide. I must take this opportunity to once more congratulate you on your excellent work . Going through the guide, I realised once more no matter how long you play this game there's always something new you can learn about it

So although I don't always have the time to be as active a contributor as many old hands on these forums, just wanted to say good to see you around here again

Wish you good luck in whatever you are working on in your absence

Cheers
Old November 1, 2003, 01:36   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Hi Vel.
Old November 1, 2003, 03:58   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Just....checkin' in! :D
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Hey guys! Long time, I know....was missing this place after recently firing up SMAX (which, to this day, remains on my hard drive!)....had to come home...

-=Vel=-
Communism is glorious! DEATH TO CAPITALISM!!

Oh...wrong thread...
Old November 1, 2003, 10:14   #10
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:38
Hi Vel, and welcome back .
Old November 1, 2003, 10:58   #11
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

How fitting you checked in on Halloween Vel.

All types of ghosts rattling around here.

Even ghosts of failed economic systems. LOL

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old November 1, 2003, 11:10   #12
Velociryx
staff

You know what rocks? The forums for this game are still surprisingly active, and given the age of the game, and the fact that sci-fi has always been considered somewhat of a niche market, that is very, VERY good to see! I was pleasantly surprised by the number of views and replies this thread got after less than a day, and even more pleasantly surprised to realize that I still recognize some faces 'round here!

'tis good to be back!

Since it's been a while since I've had the pleasure of playing SMAX, I was thinking....maybe I should start out on Citizen as a warmup?

I looked back over the history of the last year of this forum and I must say, the folks who continued to work and discuss strategy here have REALLY taken things to the next level, especially with terraforming....highly specific, very exacting terraforming/base-spacement paradigms...no doubt brutally efficient, and that was always my failing....never had the heart of patience to sit down and wade through the maths to get at that ultimate level of efficiency....I'm sure glad others did tho!

Hmmm...and that makes two comments bout my choice of days to return, so yep...I'll fess up and admit that it was intentional....just thought it...fitting...

-=Vel=-
Old November 1, 2003, 11:39   #13
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:38
Great legends never die.

It's good to see you 'round here, Vel.
Old November 1, 2003, 11:51   #14
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Hey Vel

How about a little PBEM Perhaps you can be beaten now, if you're out of shape

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old November 1, 2003, 14:02   #15
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:38
Why don't you join the ACPSG or one of the ACDG factions?
Old November 1, 2003, 14:03   #16
Z|insane
Settler

Quick Question? ACPSG ?? and ACDG?? What are those?
Old November 1, 2003, 14:18   #17
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:38
ACPSG is the Alpha Centauri Police State Game. This is the forum. In this thread the third post you can read a FAQ I have compiled about the ACPSG. Feedback on whether or not this FAQ gives you a good idea what the game is about would certainly be appreciated!!!

The ACDG or ACDTG - Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game is another variation on the same theme. Threads with explanation what the game is, can be found here and here.

At the moment the ACPSG and ACDTG are relatively inactive as the most active members are all very busy at the moment, but judging from the past I hope the cycle of activity-inactivity will soon turn back towards the positive side.
Old November 1, 2003, 14:19   #18
Z|insane
Settler

I'll look into it sounds like fun
Old November 1, 2003, 18:43   #19
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 12:38
Heah good to see you post again.

Unless I am looking in the wrong place I find the (your) insight into the newer SMAC/X factions: Pirates, Cycon, Data Angels, Drones, Cult, just a tad lacking.

Maybe there is not more to add than what you have contributed.

Anyhow those are the factions I am exploring at the moment.

I think the original designers of the game didn't anticipate the crawler effect/impact on the game.

I think they thought of the game as most of us played it at the start, and that thinking (pre Crawler effect) determined the make up of the SMAX factions ie not being aware of the impact of the crawler on the game.

But I suppose that's life

Last edited by Hercules; November 1, 2003 at 18:48.
Old November 1, 2003, 22:01   #20
Velociryx
staff

Thanks for the continued words of....re-welcome? welcome...back. Whichever, I'm just glad to be here!

Too right on the observations re: the newer factions, btw....there's undoubtedly more to be said in all aspects of the game, but there especially.

To at least partially explain those gaps, I'll bring back to the fore some ancient history, 'least it's ancient here, in this place, where time is measured in picoseconds, but around the time SMAX came out--a bit before, actually--I croaked, did a temporary dance with the grim reaper, kissed the scythe, etc. Completely overrated experience by the way, and not one I'd recommend (don't try that at home!). So, if there's some....weaker spots in the guide as written, that's where they stem from. The stuff that was discussed in depth here benefitted from the collected wisdom of all the veterans of the board in those days, casting me more in the role of chronicler than anything else--though I suppose I did/do have a penchant for looking at old problems in a new light perhaps?-- so any mistakes found (and there are some), are mine entirely and no fault of the extensive analysis here! Back in the day, when this place saw several hundred posts a day, the level of detail and discussion was....staggering to say the least! It truly stretched everybody who participated. Awesome stuff!

And for the record, in MP, I'm always an easy mark. Proud of it, actually. I lack the killer instinct that most of you posess--understand it in theory of course, and can talk at length about it, but I can't bring myself to be mean to the other player...), would rather spend my time making my Empire "pretty," or losing myself in the inner efficiencies and forgetting all about the competition.

Since the abovementioned experience tho, the clock ticks very loudly in my mind, so I don't actually play many computer games anymore. Some, sure, and I'll even binge once in a while (couple days at a stretch), but for the most part, I'm retired from playing and focused on leaving something behind. creating a game, and workin' on the next novel...always have time to talk the talk tho!

-=Vel=-
Old November 2, 2003, 18:03   #21
Adalbertus
Prince

Hi Vel,

I knew you never can leave forever!
Old November 2, 2003, 21:29   #22
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Thanks for the elaboration. Yeah good idea to keep that person with the Big Scythe well away from the door.
Old November 3, 2003, 01:36   #23
gwillybj
Prince

Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Hi, Vel!
Did you ever settle on a logo?
Old November 3, 2003, 15:55   #24
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 04:38
Greetings Velocyrix. Your candle'bred followers remain a force to be reckoned with. As always, I am Marid Audran of Apolyton.

Your so-called pactmate Hydro has gone mad, and now spends his days dancing naked in the trees with Masterbuilder. Won't you renounce your pact to gain my friendship?

Anyway, great to see you Vel! I need to hear your thoughts on two custom factions of mine which have become such a mainstay in my games (replacing the aliens) I feel like they were pre-packaged with SMAC.

Maybe to welcome yourself back you should load up a game with those "brutal survivalist mod" tweaks you recommended in the AC Creation forum w-a-a-a-ay back in the day.
Old November 3, 2003, 17:50   #25
Velociryx
staff

Hey guys!

Nope...haven't settled on an avatar yet, but am strongly leaning toward one of the candle'bre icons....just can't decide on the color!

And Master Marid! Good to see you, bud!!! Give me the scoop on those factions! I'd LOVE to take a look at 'em!

d'oh! And would you believe it but I had almost forgotten 'bout those proposed changes to SMAX! :: shivers:: That'd be a good way to break back in tho! I'm likin' that plan!

-=Vel=-
Old November 4, 2003, 01:05   #26
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 04:38
Always happy to pique your interest, Vel! I've extracted the noveau faction stats straight from my SMAX folder.

The first faction, the Agrarians of Ceres, is sort of a hodge-podge of Spartan and Gaian ideology; the pacifistic tendencies and ecological know-how of the later, the isolationist self-interest of the former. This includes using planet toward their own ends; not really raping it for resources like a proper Morganite, but terraforming it into one big arable farmers' eden.

LEADER: {High Councillor Wren Norbury}
BACKGROUND: {New Zealand Agronomist; Unity Terraforming Engineer}
AGENDA: {Planned society; Harvest of Planet}
TECH: {Centauri Ecology}

We seek only to live in peace and practice our agricultural skills. For more people will come to populate this planet we now call home. And none are loved more or held in greater esteem than those who fill the stomachs of the hungry.

-- High Councillor Wren Norbury
"A Cultivator's Journal"

+1 POLICE: {Populace feels secure with citizen militas}
+2 GROWTH: {Nutrient surpluses and high-yield farms}
-1 INDUSTRY: {Limited space for factories}
-25% penalty when attacking: {Lack of aggressive military paradigm}
Robust EFFICIENCY: {Communal values; Emphasis on family}
GROWTH penalty doubled for GREEN economics: {settlers find co-habitating with fungus abhorrent}
Formers may raise/lower terrain at half the cost
{May not use Free Market economics}

The second faction, the Nautilus Mercantile, is basically a sea-based Morgan type faction. In terms of the SMAC narrative, they are in fact an opportunistic off-shoot of disillusioned Pirates and disenfranchised Morgans. They are pacifistic with a WEALTH agenda in AI terms.

LEADER: {Admiral Etienne Peraud}
BACKGROUND: {8th French Republic; Nautilus Commerce Director}
AGENDA: {Oceanic Energy Monopoly}
TECH: {Progenitor Psych, Doctrine: Flexibility}

While Svensgaard indulges in his Jules Verne and Bluebeard fantasies, the real power of Chiron's oceans remains untapped. Beneath Chiron's fungal expanse is a cornucopia of energy, the envy even of Morgan from his gilded terraces! All that's needed are the right tools and proper industries. Do you, as I, dare to dream?

-- Admiral Etienne Peraud
"Merchants at Stern" Lecture

-1 GROWTH {Long merchant expeditions away from families}
120% Tech cost: {Cramped labs; research grants at a premium}
125% Probe cost: {Computer techs behind latest encryption techniques}
150% Hurry cost: {Difficult to network industries at sea}
Extra DRONE per Six citizens: {Sea-weary traders miss comforts of home}
Penalty doubled for PLANNED: {Regulated economies breed mass smuggling}
Bonus COMMERCE from Treaties/Pacts/Loans: {Aquatic conglomerate}
2% INTEREST on energy reserves: {Trans-aquatic loans}
+1 ENERGY from fungus squares: {Attuned to xeno-energy resonance}
Bonus mineral from shelf squares, sea former/colony pod prototype costs waived, may eventually terraform trench squares: {Nautilus Pirate roots}
{May not use Knowledge values in Social Engineering}

I spent a lot of time fine-tuning these new factions, trying to balance their respective pros and cons just right, testing different tweaks in single-player and automated games run overnight on my computer (the stapler holding down the ENTER key ). I finally think I've got it just right! Personally, it was worth it just to take those progenitor buffoons out of the random start-up permanently. Talk about a killjoy. I hate it if diplomacy is rendered worthless with a faction, and dealing with those guys made Miriam look like the saint she preaches herself to be.

Of course, I also play with a fairly modified alphax.txt and some substantial tweaks to the other five SMAX factions in a gestalt "re-balancing" effort. I'm obsessed with tinkering this endlessly exhaustable game!

Last edited by Marid Audran; November 4, 2003 at 04:21.
Old November 8, 2003, 23:18   #27
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Vel!

You came back just as I took a leave of absence from Poly.

I'm sorry about not returning your emails but I still have the roses and chocolates. Let's meet up in some romantic parking lot somewhere and rekindle the multiplayer memories!
Old November 9, 2003, 15:29   #28
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Vel, I wanted to know, is your transcend OCC updated or did you managed to get better ?
Old November 9, 2003, 21:57   #29
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:38
Allie is back!!!!

Old November 10, 2003, 22:50   #30
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 21:38
Hi Vel! So many friendly faces. Where is Googlie?