Old October 31, 2003, 22:47   #1
geniemalin
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Trading for resources problem
I was recently playing a game where I discovered Steam Power earlier than my opponents, and unfortunately neither had coal in my territory nor any that I could easily access. A trading partner had two Coal deep in his territory. However, he did not offer Coal for trade (presumably because he hadn't 'discovered' it yet.)

So I gifted him with Steam Power. Still not offering Coal. Went out of the dialogue screen, re-entered it and still no Coal. And by next turn - no Coal, but he and one of my enemies (with no Coal in her territory) were both building railroads!

So my question - what am I doing wrong? At what point does the resource become 'available' to trade?
Old November 1, 2003, 00:46   #2
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 05:38
For one, ai will NEVER trade a recource if they only have one of it. Also, if they have more than one of a recource they will traded it off to another AI quickly. Also, you might not have seen the coal the other AI had, it is often under cities. press CTRL SHIFT M for a better look.

Should you choose to reload i would advise preventing the AI from getting steam for as long as possible, and use cavalry to take coal from an enemy that does not yet have nationalism,
Old November 1, 2003, 01:18   #3
geniemalin
Chieftain

Seizing the coal wasn't really an option - I'm not militarily strong.

I did see two Coal (there may have been more) so there should have been *at least* one available for trade.
Old November 2, 2003, 14:03   #4
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 08:38
Reload, go for the coal, don't make any prisoners. That's the catch.
Old November 2, 2003, 16:29   #5
ceroomaster
Civilization III PBEMNationStates
Prince

There's bound to be more... somewhere.
Old November 3, 2003, 08:20   #6
mimi
Warlord

Local Time: 07:38
Trading for RESOURCES???? The AI will actually do that?? I tried once, for coal too I believe. AI would've taken the 3 techs I had, 32 gpt and 1200 g for coal...

And, no doubt, would've declared war at the end of 2 turns too.

Needless to say I just rounded up some troops and helped myself to some coal. They should learn to play nicer. But I've never gotten a reasonable deal from the AI for any resource I've wanted. But, then again, I could have 14 extra horses and wouldn't trade them either...
Old November 3, 2003, 09:02   #7
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:38
geniemalin, the AI can't trade you a resource it can't see. And since it is impossible to make deals like 'I give you steam now and you give me coal later' with the AI you're screwed. Unless you can take the resource by force(in wich case, the AI is screwed )

I find that the prices the AI will demand for techs/lux/resources are often so high that war will be much cheaper.
Old November 3, 2003, 22:25   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:38
There could be a few things here - as soon as you gave the civ Steam Engine they see the Coal and can use/trade it. If it appeared in their side of the negotiations screen under Resources, then they could trade it. If it appeared ghosted out, then they have it, but you do not have a trade route to them, which is set up with roads or sea routes through harbours.

If it did not appear in their negotiations screen then they do not have enough coal connecterd via roads to their cities to trade, and, as has been said already, an AI will never trade away its only source of a resource/luxury.

This sounds to me like your ally did not have the Coals hooked up, but when you gave him/her Steam Engine he/she bought Coal off of someone else and started on RRs next turn. As to the enemy building RRs, either it was independent of all this or your ally traded them Steam Engine.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 3, 2003, 22:28   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

I agree with MWIA - it probably wasn't hooked up. If it was, congratulations; you've found a bug.
Old November 10, 2003, 13:06   #10
geniemalin
Chieftain

Absolutely positively definitely hooked up.

And another nice little bug - in a game as the Vikings England didn't have Astronomy (I negotiated with them that turn.) However, at the end of the turn they built Copernicus' Observatory! As far as I know, you can't change your builds *after* discovering a tech.... at least I can't; apparently the AI can.

No, I didn't save the turn (for which I'm duly kicking myself.)
Old November 10, 2003, 13:56   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What do you mean you can't change your build after a discovery? I do that all the time. what am I missing? You can't switch to a wonder if you have corrupted shields in that build. That is if you did a chop or a disband or anything to add shields to that build.
Old November 10, 2003, 13:57   #12
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by geniemalin
As far as I know, you can't change your builds *after* discovering a tech.... at least I can't; apparently the AI can.
Yes you can. Click the "Details" button from the new tech pop-up to bring up the tech tree, then you can click on your domestic advisor screen and change the builds for your cities.

By the way, I discovered Steam Power in my second C3C game way before anyone else, and guess what? Sumeria is willing to trade coal to me without having the Steam Power tech.
Old November 10, 2003, 14:34   #13
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:38
Well, that's...interesting....

Anyone got a clue when c3c lands in scandinavia?
Old November 10, 2003, 14:35   #14
geniemalin
Chieftain

But if England didn't have the tech at the beginning of its turn, how did it change its build to something requiring that tech *during* its turn?
Old November 10, 2003, 15:00   #15
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

The same way you can change your build after receiving a tech from another civ. As long as you have the tech before your turn ends, you can build units/ buildings/ wonders requiring that tech.
Old November 10, 2003, 17:35   #16
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This is something I do all the time. Trade for a tech to get riflemen or some other thing I feel I need and switch build to that or upgrade.
Old November 10, 2003, 21:15   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:38
Quote:
By the way, I discovered Steam Power in my second C3C game way before anyone else, and guess what? Sumeria is willing to trade coal to me without having the Steam Power tech.
Either they got Steam Engine at some point by the time they offered it to you or you ahve found a bug.

As to the original problem I cannot remember if I have ever successfully given a tech to an AI so I can trade for their surplus resources the same turn. Has anyone else managed this? It is possible the AI doesn't notice the resources until it's next turn, or that this is another bug.

And yep, I have been going to the Domestic advisor screen often immediately after discovering a tech - usually to change science rates for the best rate possible (no benefit to be gained from doing this now as opposed to later in my turn), but sometimes to head off Disorder. Also, if you get a city that builds something/goes into disorder, if you zoom in and try to go the the F1 screen it will not work until all the cities are checked. If however you click on the arrow buttons next to the cityname when in the city screen, you can tour your citites and stop any disorder/change any builds in cities that have not been processed yet. I do this often because I am lazy and rarely check my cities every turn for disorder, so when I get one in trouble I check the rest.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 11, 2003, 13:22   #18
geniemalin
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Tall Stranger
The same way you can change your build after receiving a tech from another civ.
I guess I didn't clarify - *nobody* had Astronomy....
Old November 11, 2003, 15:05   #19
Stuie
King

If England discovered Astronomy that turn, and someone else beat them to another wonder during the AI city build phase, they could have switched to Copernicus.

Last edited by Stuie; November 11, 2003 at 15:12.
Old November 12, 2003, 11:38   #20
geniemalin
Chieftain

I guess that might be it (still doesn't explain the Coal situation though )
Old November 12, 2003, 16:28   #21
pvzh
C3CDG Team Babylon
Warlord

geniemalin, sorry for stupid question, but... Do you see at least the line "Resources" either in your or AI part of negoatiation screen? Is it collapsed or open?

Maybe you just forget to open it and do not see it. AFAIK, if AI has any resourse or luxury that you do not have you can see Coal(0) or Iron(0) etc. (number in brackets is number available to trade). I think this line should be visible even if AI trades from somebody else for resourse you do not have.

NB. When AI makes trades for resources or luxuries, it makes no distinction between unconnected resource in its territory and no resource.