Old November 1, 2003, 04:02   #1
orty
Settler

Local Time: 11:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
queries
hey all. i recently started playing call to power 2 and think its an awesome game! but i just have some quick questions about the game, i hope someone can help me out.

1) is there a way i can get an enemy spy, after ive detected him with my own stealth units, out of my borders without attacking him and starting a war? i try diplomacy proposal, threatening the enemy to withdraw their troops, but they just accept my proposal and keep their spies there to steal my technology!

2) every time i launch a new game, its always the same nations, so i want to change them. i heard u can edit a txt file to change the nations that u start the game with but dont know which or how?
(btw, is there a way to do that with Civilization:Call to Power 1?)

3) and finally, is there a way to use Call to Power 2 units in the first Civilization:Call to Power game and/or vice versa??
besides apolyton, r there any other websites where i can get more units for both games?

btw, im still deciding whether i like CtP 2 or 1 better. its basically the same game but i was really fond of the space view and space units in CtP1 but CtP2 has a lot more naval units!
Old November 1, 2003, 05:41   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:39
1) You can kick out all Civilian units (Spies, Settlers, Diplomats, Clerics, etc) from your lands by 'Expelling' them. To do so, use place any military unit next to the unt you want to expel, and then either right-click on your unit and select Expel, or click on the button with the picture of a boot on your control panel. Your mouse cursor will change into a boot, and you can now click on the unit you want to expel. Note that this does cost 1 movement point, so it won't work if you have less than that.

2) I think what you mean is explained in Question 1 of the FAQ (one of the topped threads in this forum).

But this is only an issue in CtP2, I don't think it should be a problem in CtP1. If you actually want to add new civs to the game, you should alter ctp2_data\default\gamedata\civilization.txt and ctp2_data\english\gamedata\civ_str.txt (same for CtP1, only replace ctp2_data with ctp2_data; the files should be identical). But I doubt this is what you'll want to do, at least for CtP2

3) You can use CtP1 units in CtP2 but not the other way around. All fan-made units can be used on both games. As for downloaing units, unless I'm very much mistaken Apolyton hosts pretty much all units that are out there so no need to look elsewhere.

At first glance CtP1 and CtP2 are very similar, but if you play more I think you'll find there are significant differences. Mostly in areas such as city management, combat, AI, UI, etc.

Last edited by Locutus; November 1, 2003 at 06:48.
Old November 1, 2003, 06:03   #3
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 12:39
Loc: You might want to fix that URL tag .

Also, with the advent of SpriteEdit it's entirely possible that the CTP2 units could be downgraded to work with CTP1. I haven't downloaded SpriteEdit myself, though, so I don't know exactly what its capable of.
Old November 1, 2003, 16:36   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
3) You can use CtP1 units in CtP2 but not the other way around. All fan-made units can be used on both games. As for downloaing units, unless I'm very much mistaken Apolyton hosts pretty much all units that are out there so no need to look elsewhere.
Or at least all the good ones. Though some are only available inside other mods. FRITZ made some sprites for his Napoleonic war scenario, my crossbowman is in Cradle, etc. My battering ram has somehow managed to not get uploaded to Poly as well. I think this was my laziness in making targas actually.
The Crossbowman and Battering Ram are the top two here.
Old November 3, 2003, 00:01   #5
orty
Settler

ok, i was able to randomise the civs i play against when i start a new game. however, i was wondering if there is a way i can actually select the specific civs i want to play against? is it possible for either CtP1 or CtP2?

Quote:
Also, with the advent of SpriteEdit it's entirely possible that the CTP2 units could be downgraded to work with CTP1.
how difficult would that be to do for someone, who is a complete newbie when it comes to mod programs and computers in general, like me!?!?!
Old November 3, 2003, 04:44   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
ok, i was able to randomise the civs i play against when i start a new game. however, i was wondering if there is a way i can actually select the specific civs i want to play against? is it possible for either CtP1 or CtP2?
Start a LAN game.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:26   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Yes, a 1-person LAN game, or a 1-person Hotseat game will let you specify which civs you want to play against. Both for CtP1 and CtP2, IIRC. Hopefully that's another thing we can add for the regular game as well, now that we have the source code.
Old November 3, 2003, 17:54   #8
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by orty
how difficult would that be to do for someone, who is a complete newbie when it comes to mod programs and computers in general, like me!?!?!
I think all you should have to do, if this is possible with the current build, is to load the sprite you want, and resave it, since it will only save as a CtP1 sprite, that's it.
Old November 3, 2003, 18:00   #9
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Yes, a 1-person LAN game, or a 1-person Hotseat game will let you specify which civs you want to play against. Both for CtP1 and CtP2, IIRC. Hopefully that's another thing we can add for the regular game as well, now that we have the source code.
Also dont forget to put Dynamic Join ON, or it wont launch, IIRC.
Old November 6, 2003, 21:13   #10
orty
Settler

where can i download SpriteEdit??

i found the CTP SpriteTool but i dont know if thats what you are referring to?
Old November 6, 2003, 21:38   #11
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

From Martin the Dane's website: http://home.worldonline.dk/~isl34882...spriteedit.zip

The development thread is here
Old November 9, 2003, 06:57   #12
orty
Settler

thx immortal wombat!!! i got the program and its damn good! ive managed to include the cruise missile into Civ:CtP with sprite, icons and Great Library info from CtP2!! it works well! im curious to know, would AI need to be adjusted to be able to use the cruise missile properly?? will it cause major problems if i just leave it as it is??
Old November 9, 2003, 07:16   #13
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Any new units you add to CTP will be ignored by the AI unless you alter the AI, but they shouldn't cause problems besides that.
Old November 10, 2003, 01:55   #14
orty
Settler

hmm, just when i solve one problem, i run into another...or actually 2, was wondering if u guys could help me out.

firstly, this is what i added into Units.txt for the cruise missile

Quote:
UNIT_CRUISE_MISSILE {
SHIELD_COST 2000
POWER_POINTS 2000
MAX_HP 10
ATTACK 240
DEFENSE 10
FIREPOWER 2
ZB_RANGE_ATTACK 0

BATTLEFIELD_RANGE 1
BATTLEFIELD_RADIUS 1

VISION_RANGE 1

ACTIVE_DEFENSE_RANGE 0
ELECTRONIC_COMBAT_FACTOR 0

MAX_MOVEMENT 1000
FUEL 1000

SHIELD_HUNGER 60
FOOD_HUNGER 0

DEFAULT_SPRITE SPRITE_CRUISE_MISSILE
DEFAULT_ICON ICON_UNIT_CRUISE_MISSILE
DESCRIPTION DESCRIPTION_UNIT_NUKE
# #id string of the default sprite

SOUND_SELECT1 SOUND_SELECT1_NUKE
SOUND_SELECT2 SOUND_SELECT2_NUKE
SOUND_MOVE SOUND_MOVE_NUKE
SOUND_ACKNOWLEDGE SOUND_ACKNOWLEDGE_NUKE
SOUND_CANTMOVE SOUND_CANTMOVE_NUKE
SOUND_ATTACK SOUND_ATTACK_NUKE
SOUND_WORK SOUND_WORK_NUKE
SOUND_VICTORY SOUND_VICTORY_NUKE
SOUND_DEATH SOUND_DEATH_NUKE
ENABLING_ADVANCE ADVANCE_ROCKETRY
OBSOLETE_ADVANCE NULL

############## special flags #############################
MOVEMENT_TYPE_AIR
LOSS_MOVE_TO_DMG_NONE
NO_FUEL_THEN_CRASH
SIZE_SMALL

CANT_CAPTURE_CITY

VISIBILITY_CLASS_0

VISIBILITY_CAN_SEE_0

CANT_ENTRENCH
CANT_PATROL
IS_SPECIAL_FORCES
CAN_BEACH_ASSAULT
IGNORE_ZOC
HAS_NO_ZOC

LAND_ATTACK
SEA_ATTACK
AIR_ATTACK
MOUNTAIN_ATTACK
SPACE_ATTACK
SHALLOW_WATER_ATTACK
SINGLE_USE

CHEAT_INDEX 3
}

### UNIT DONE ###
i basically copied and pasted the NUKE info and changed things here and there but now it doesnt explode, it just attacks. pretty funny watching a missile fight with a marine but not realistic! and the single_use flag doesnt seem to work cause after the fight, i can still use the missile. r there any flags i should add to make it blow up like a nuke without the nuke devestating effect?

also, im having problems with the icons. ive used photoshop, ive got black backgrounds, and the dimensions seem to be correct but during the game, the icons r all "fuzzy"! here is my great library image (as a jpeg file), maybe u can pick up on something i havent?

im real sorry guys, im just a real newbie with all this...but it is fun just playing around with!! hehe
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cu082f.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	56991  
Old November 10, 2003, 09:27   #15
Locutus
Deity

You should make it a single-use fuel-dependent bombarding unit that can't attack, like the Cruise Missile from the CtP1 Apolyton Pack:

Code:
UNIT_CRUISE_MISSILE	{ 
SHIELD_COST	500
POWER_POINTS 	4000
MAX_HP	5
ATTACK	0
DEFENSE	0
FIREPOWER	4
ZB_RANGE_ATTACK	220

BATTLEFIELD_RANGE	1
BATTLEFIELD_RADIUS	1

VISION_RANGE	1

ACTIVE_DEFENSE_RANGE 	0
ELECTRONIC_COMBAT_FACTOR	0

MAX_MOVEMENT	400
FUEL	301

SHIELD_HUNGER	15
FOOD_HUNGER	0

DEFAULT_SPRITE 	SPRITE_CRUISE_MISSILE
DEFAULT_ICON	ICON_UNIT_CRUISE_MISSILE
DESCRIPTION	DESCRIPTION_UNIT_CHARIOT
#	  #id string of the default sprite

SOUND_SELECT1	SOUND_SELECT1_NUKE
SOUND_SELECT2	SOUND_SELECT2_NUKE
SOUND_MOVE	SOUND_MOVE_NUKE
SOUND_ACKNOWLEDGE 	SOUND_ACKNOWLEDGE_NUKE
SOUND_CANTMOVE 	SOUND_CANTMOVE_NUKE
SOUND_ATTACK	SOUND_ATTACK_NUKE
SOUND_WORK	SOUND_WORK_NUKE
SOUND_VICTORY	SOUND_VICTORY_NUKE
SOUND_DEATH	SOUND_DEATH_NUKE
ENABLING_ADVANCE 	ADVANCE_ROCKETRY
OBSOLETE_ADVANCE 	ADVANCE_ZERO_G_MANUFACTURING

############## special flags #############################	
MOVEMENT_TYPE_AIR	
NO_FUEL_THEN_CRASH	
SIZE_SMALL  	

CANT_CAPTURE_CITY	

VISIBILITY_CLASS_0	

VISIBILITY_CAN_SEE_0	

CANT_ENTRENCH	
CANT_PATROL	
CAN_BEACH_ASSAULT	
IGNORE_ZOC	
HAS_NO_ZOC		
CAN_BOMBARD_LAND		
CAN_BOMBARD_WATER	
CAN_BOMBARD_MOUNTAIN
BOMBARD_ROUNDS	30

NO_AIR_ATTACK

SINGLE_USE

SEA_CITY_CAN_BUILD

CHEAT_INDEX	3	
}
Old November 11, 2003, 15:46   #16
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
Quote:
Originally posted by orty
also, im having problems with the icons. ive used photoshop, ive got black backgrounds, and the dimensions seem to be correct but during the game, the icons r all "fuzzy"! here is my great library image (as a jpeg file), maybe u can pick up on something i havent?
Use the Unsharp Mask filter in Photoshop. You'll probably have to experiment with it to get the look you want. Make sure that your object edges are clean too - if you do not have a straight black background behind the object, then you will get stray pixels around the edges.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old November 12, 2003, 00:25   #17
orty
Settler

ok, ive made it like the apolyton pack unit. im not very good with numbers, but my intention is to have the cruise missile to be relatively cheap and not too powerful (but enough to kill of a unit such as a marine) so would i need to change any of the numbers to those in the apolyton pack?

also, ive tried sharpening the image but im still getting that fuzzy look. my edges rnt really clean but ive compared them to other icon images and its not too bad. does it have to be perfect or something?
but recently i added the Morey Striker into Civ:CtP with icons. i didnt bother "blackening" the background, i just left it as it is (water being the background as they are in CtP2) and it worked! the great library icon comes out perfectly, without black as a background!! it actually has the water as the background! im confused!

btw. i would just like to thank all u guys for the help uve given me so far. i suck at this so it must require a lot of patience to help me, LOL!!

Last edited by orty; November 12, 2003 at 03:52.