Old February 8, 2004, 15:32   #91
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
you mean I can actually walk around!!

I'm so used to running, I doubt I will walk. Although I wished for that ability in small rooms.
Old February 8, 2004, 15:35   #92
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
My favorites, though I haven't played with it yet:

....Holding Shift when clicking Give Item or double-clicking the item to give will transfer the entire stack, without shift it moves the items one at a time

Now I can finally dump all the useless crap at the EH containers, one at a time was not getting it done. not sure however, if I can select more than one type of item at a time...

...Added the ability to see all available party members character, ability, and equip screens while on the Ebon Hawk or in the apartment.

great. I hate having to disembark just to see who is equipped with what. makes workbench work much easier.
cool

dropping items seemed impossible. If I did not sell the item, I kept every single item from the very start of the game until the end. That really annoyed me. I almost wished for limited inventory space. As sorting through the inventory is a pain in the ass.

And being able to see their equipment will make the workbench much easier. Often I'd use different color lightsabers to help figure out who was carrying which lightsaber.
Old February 8, 2004, 15:40   #93
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

what's the deal with removing the +2 bonus for using a balanced weapon?

I often use 2 lightsabors. One short, and one regular.

and what about dead party members? How can they die? I didn't think anyone could die- unless you died of course- but then it wouldn't matter.
Old February 8, 2004, 15:48   #94
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 13:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
and what about dead party members? How can they die? I didn't think anyone could die- unless you died of course- but then it wouldn't matter.
At some points of story they can get killed (usually by you )
Old February 8, 2004, 16:36   #95
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
Quote:
what's the deal with removing the +2 bonus for using a balanced weapon?

I often use 2 lightsabors. One short, and one regular.
I understand it in the case of the double blade, but am not sure of the reasoning for the off hand weapon. Hmm. maybe they're trying to get people to fight with one saber. I never fight with only saber.

What does: Put in a symptomatic fix for your character's attributes being reset to all 8's. mean?
Old February 8, 2004, 16:45   #96
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I've never had my attributes go down to 8. So I don't think I've had that problem. Although maybe they have, and I didn't notice. I don't check my character sheet that often.
Old February 8, 2004, 16:48   #97
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
I've never had my attributes go down to 8. So I don't think I've had that problem. Although maybe they have, and I didn't notice. I don't check my character sheet that often.
My character has always reset to 8 after becoming a jedi. I'm not sure what they were talking about, if its supposed to or not, and if they fixed it to or not .
Old February 8, 2004, 16:50   #98
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Quote:

My character has always reset to 8 after becoming a jedi. I'm not sure what they were talking about, if its supposed to or not, and if they fixed it to or not .

This isn`t supposed to happen! A pity for you character!
Old February 8, 2004, 16:52   #99
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by obstructor

This isn`t supposed to happen! A pity for you character!
its not! We're talking about stuff like strength, wisdom, etc, right?

Damn, I need to load a game and double check. I'm pretty sure that they reset to all 8s upon jedihood.

Old February 8, 2004, 16:55   #100
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:

its not! We're talking about stuff like strength, wisdom, etc, right?

Damn, I need to load a game and double check. I'm pretty sure that they reset to all 8s upon jedihood.

Probably a bug when game thinks you are creating a new character for game start - for such a bug in such a great game.
Old February 8, 2004, 20:30   #101
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:39
Quote:

What does: Put in a symptomatic fix for your character's attributes being reset to all 8's. mean?
I've seen this happen sometimes in the levelup screen.

I think its basically just a display issue as far as the attributes are concerned but it makes it tricky when you're trying to allocate a point.
When it happens you only get a single skill point in the process too.
I (now) save before going to the levelup screen.
Old February 9, 2004, 00:49   #102
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
Blah. That patch seems to be pretty damn useful, but I started playing last week and completely forgot to update it to 1.02. Nice to see all the gripes I had fixed, though. Except for the whole affair of having your levels as a mundane around when you go Jedi. I tried to keep myself from leveling up as much as possible before Dantooine, but I just couldn't slaughter the Sith governor on Taris without leaping to level four. I also foolishly spent lots of points on melee weapons on Taris as I thought lightsabres weren't their own weapons class. Oh well, it's not like I needed blasters or heavy armour either, lightsabres completely rule and heavy armour gets only in the way when you want to use the Force.

Otherwise, I really love this game. Really the true Star Wars feeling, running through corridors and throwing enemies around with the Force and then cutting them to pieces with a lightsabre. As a jedi I took Consular and didn't regret it one bit. Using Persuade and Force Persuade were one of the things I really enjoyed, even though I was more than qualified to whoop people's ass. The plot was great, too, the inevitable twist got me off my guard even though I have an instinct for that kind of things.

I played it now through first with a Light side character, but I'm definitely going to give the Dark side a spin, with the hard difficulty level... possibly... Malak was pretty tough, I had to throw him out on Force Wave, then slap in a life support pack and then activate my body shield, then charge... What I've read, the replayability on this one ought to be high, since playing Dark makes things so much more different. I wasn't even aware of the possibility of killing party members, permanently, until I read this thread.

The writing was great. The gizkas (so cute, I couldn't bear killing any) and HK-47 for example had me cracking up all the time, but I decided to not use him and usually ran around with a group of jedi, Juhani and Bastila but with Jolee thrown in every now and then. Carth too. I only used the droids when infiltrating bases, since T3 is so darn good at computers. Canderous just... got left behind, since I was playing Light side and thought he might not fit along, you know?

Two-handed fighting is really overweighted though. The dueling bonus is only so much, and I wanted and kept Jolee as a one-hand fighter, but he wasn't half as destructive as Bastila or Juhani (both wielding dual-blades) or me (one long, one short).

The only bad thing here is that I won't stand playing anything else after this for a while, KOTOR is just so damn immersive and wonderful and everything.

What I wonder though is, can you get romantic with Bastila as a female too? I'd rather play a female Dark Jedi, but I want to explore that venue too, as I played a pretty damn strict Light Jedi.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; February 9, 2004 at 01:00.
Old February 9, 2004, 09:26   #103
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
The only bad thing here is that I won't stand playing anything else after this for a while, KOTOR is just so damn immersive and wonderful and everything.

What I wonder though is, can you get romantic with Bastila as a female too? I'd rather play a female Dark Jedi, but I want to explore that venue too, as I played a pretty damn strict Light Jedi.
I agree, this game raises the bar for games in the genre, imho. very fun with a great story.

If you are female you can kinda strike up somethign with Carth. I'm not sure, as my current female is pure evil. He wasn't too pleased when I killed his son.
Old February 9, 2004, 14:31   #104
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:

I agree, this game raises the bar for games in the genre, imho. very fun with a great story.

If you are female you can kinda strike up somethign with Carth. I'm not sure, as my current female is pure evil. He wasn't too pleased when I killed his son.
You can find Carths son!?!
Old February 9, 2004, 14:35   #105
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:

You can find Carths son!?!
I found 'em. and I killed 'em

Old February 9, 2004, 14:49   #106
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:

I found 'em. and I killed 'em

Where! Where!
Old February 9, 2004, 15:18   #107
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Where! Where!
Korriban, he's a sith trainee, Dustil. if you want to "save" him, slice into the headmasters room or have his underling ask you to poison him, and get a datapad.

You have to talk to carth for a while for this quest to open up, ie every time you level up check with him.

Me, the only one I haven't done is Canderous, he just won't talk to me enough, or I answer incorrectly and can't do his quest.
Old February 9, 2004, 17:42   #108
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I did canderous. Eventually he gets into a duel with someone. Although technically it's not a duel.
Old February 12, 2004, 19:25   #109
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 21:39
Up until recently, I've only ever actually played as a Light Sider. Though, I finally got around to playing as a Dark Sider.

Usually, I play as a male Light Sider who is a Scout/Sentinel. He duel-wields two sabers. He teases (in good nature of course) and eventually romances Bastila, saving her in the end. And he treats everyone else in the group with respect (even Carth, Canderous and HK-47).

I've also been trying a female light sider, who is a Scoundrel/Consular with a single lightsaber. She romances Carth (though the teasing between these two is nowhere near as amusing as my male character's teasing sessions with Bastila). And like my male light-sider, she treats everyone in the group with respect (again, even Canderous and HK-47).

I made this guy a soldier/guardian, who uses a single lightsaber and Force Choke/Kill (much like the good Lord Vader). He was completely and utterly mean to Bastila, even telling her he let Saul torture her for the sake of seeing her suffer. And he was also mean to everyone else (he even killed Juhani at the grove).

Almost every atrocity committed by this character made my stomach turn. Or, that could be the fact that in a very short time (before even leaving Dantooine in fact), his character sheet had fire, brimstone and ash all around it (still looks kinda cool though, I'll admit), and he was starting to look like a gargoyle before he'd even left Taris (He was the bald guy with the evil-looking goatee). How is it that people don't notice how much of a freak he is? Though, I suppose it gives Bastila more reason to scrunch up her face 'like a kinrath pup' whenever she looks at him.

I really couldn't believe how gullible the Jedi council was (except for usually pessimistic and overly critical Vrook, whom I have a newfound respect for). This made the dark side of the plot even more unbelievable.

Although I will admit that there were certain parts of the Dark Side of the plot that were mildly amusing (Sandral/Matale feud for example). And I got to vent some frustration on those damn Selkath by venting poison into their precious kolto. I imagine after the ending, once this guy has his infinite fleet, Manaan will be the first place to be obliterated. Revenge for his permanent exile, and for the annoying voices and delusions of neutrality of the Selkath.

And suppose I did thoroughly enjoy doing the Genoharadan bounty hunting quests. Though my character did have to be uncharacteristically subtle at times.

The way of killing Mission near the end was perhaps the lowest thing I've ever seen the player character of any game capable of.

And the ending really wasn't much better than the Light Side ending, even with all its amusingly horrible cliches, and ridiculous smiles from Carth, Jolee, Mission, and my character.

As fun as it can sometimes be to wreak bloody vengeance without a second thought as to who gets hurt or killed along the way, to get all those cool visuals like the fire and ash on the character sheet, and to rule the galaxy with an iron fist at the end of the day, it just doesn't work for me.
Old February 12, 2004, 19:31   #110
asleepathewheel
Emperor

good recap
Old February 13, 2004, 06:41   #111
Jagdtiger
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:39
As for lying to the Jedi Council, you get the feeling that they're pretty desperate. For example, after the Matale/Sandral slaughter they ask you about it and you say "Well, maybe it was the Mandalorians" a dialog pops up that says they know you are lying, but go along with it. Maybe they hope that even if you do turn to the dark side you and Malak will destroy each other or Bastila will finish off whoever is left.

There's a way not to get kicked out of Manaan, just blackmail them and say you know too much. But you're right, that planet needs some serious boiling. I wish this game had different endings for every planet, like in Fallout.

I also agree that steamrolling the galaxy isn't quite as satisfying as having all that power and then just giving it away "for the good of the Force".
Old February 14, 2004, 04:17   #112
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yep, that was my recommendation to the deigners of the game (though I don't know if they saw my post ). To have endings for the various planets and areas of the game. Espeically on the Wookie planet, I like to know that my actions led to some good things for the Wookies.

I haven't been playing my dark side game recently. I'm waiting for my new computer. I want to play this game in high graphical detail. Right now I'm running 800 X 600 on a computer that is less than the minumum requirements- although despite this, the game runs pretty good- and looks good as well.
Old February 18, 2004, 04:05   #113
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

bump for bipolar
Old February 18, 2004, 05:39   #114
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Almost every atrocity committed by this character made my stomach turn.
I tried to play a dark side character, but after a few hours in Taris I got pretty much the same feeling. All those evil things just had no charm, class or enjoyment. I wonder if this is only because we played the light side first and have already developed attachments with all the people, or because the designers have been quite the geniuses and made the dark side just what it's supposed to be: emotionally very unrewarding.

I have considered that maybe I just went overboard with it, though. I've been thinking of some sort of "noble evil" play where you don't tell off and shout at people or kill every single person in sight and only do the bigger decisions in a dark side manner. This should rack up the DS points without leaving you feeling like a total *****.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; February 18, 2004 at 05:46.
Old February 18, 2004, 06:37   #115
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
It's funny, but i just had a thought that maybe this moral dilema as worked out in this game, is more to do with the way we as players view the star wars universe?

At best we(the fans of the films) all wanted to be luke, good and defeating the tyranny of the Empire.
At worst we all wanted to be Han , a bit mercenry and mostly out for himself(although he does redeem himself), but definately cool.

For the girls/women i guess there isnt much choice of role model

Now when you play a game like 'Grand Theft Auto - Vice City' or games like it(particularly FPS action games), you never find yourself thinking, "God i feel really bad about running over those 6 people" or "Damn that head shot was a bit too nasty" .

But in KOTR I never really liked playing as an evil character either - just didn't seem right to me. Although HK - 47 is a much needed npc for which ever side you play, meatbag is a great phrase.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old February 18, 2004, 08:26   #116
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
At best we(the fans of the films) all wanted to be luke, good and defeating the tyranny of the Empire.
At worst we all wanted to be Han , a bit mercenry and mostly out for himself(although he does redeem himself), but definately cool.
I don't know about you, but I've always admired Darth Vader above any others. Luke is a wuss. Maybe my disgust at the dark side in KOTOR is because I can't get black shiny full-body power armour in it. It can't be the ships, the Leviathan is quite comparable to the Executor in both cool design and the name.

When I was a child the dark side was a really scary thing, granted, so it could be that those feelings have been integrated into my tendencies more deeply than the later associations of evil = cool. In most games where there is the good/evil choice, I do tend to take the good side. Possibly because most games are primarily designed for the good campaign.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; February 18, 2004 at 08:32.
Old February 18, 2004, 11:14   #117
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia

I don't know about you, but I've always admired Darth Vader above any others. Luke is a wuss. Maybe my disgust at the dark side in KOTOR is because I can't get black shiny full-body power armour in it. It can't be the ships, the Leviathan is quite comparable to the Executor in both cool design and the name.
Well, i do own a pair of Darth Vader slipers, hope its not the beginning of the end in my slide towards the dark side

You could be right about it being something to do with the conditioning we get as children(and that most games, until recently, would have you as the good guy)?

Any Physcologists out there?(or someone to help me spell it!) we need help with our bad feelings after playing KOTR
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old February 19, 2004, 03:54   #118
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

When I was little, I had the record (33 speed LP) of the original star wars soundtrack. I always listened to the Empire dark side song. I loved that song. I listened to it over and over until my brother scratched the record because he was sick of hearing it.

But that may have to do with more of my love of dark music (I listen to Death metal today) than my love of the dark side.

But I did love Darth Vader. I didn't care for the emporer in return of the jedi though. And empire strikes back has always been my favourite movie. I think mainly because the dark side kicks a little ass in that one . Although not as much as I would have liked.

But there are several actions I find deplorable. Killing that one guy with the choke hold because he screwed up. And destroying the entire planet of people was bad as well.

But I've always found the dark side cooler.

That being said, it can be difficult doing evil things in KOTOR. I'm not sure why.

As for light side characters. I've always found Han Solo to be the coolest. I liked princess Leia alot as well. Luke was a weenie- we all know that. I never cared for him. R2D2 was the **** of course- I loved him. C3P0 I couldn't stand. Lando Carlisian was pretty cool as well. I hated Bubba Fett, and Jaba the Hutt.
Old February 19, 2004, 04:29   #119
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 01:39
Hmmm,

I always liked the Dark Side. I liked Vader when I was a kid simply because he didn't take s*** from anyone, and looked kick a** in his uniform.

The first time I played through, I played as the dark side. While I did help out certain people (the Jawas for one) I basically did what I wanted to do.

Maybe it's just me, but when I was a kid I was constantly picked on and made fun of....Darth Vader epitomized what I wanted to be and do to those bullies.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old February 19, 2004, 04:53   #120
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but when I was a kid I was constantly picked on and made fun of....Darth Vader epitomized what I wanted to be and do to those bullies.
Likewise, but I was a much more submissive person, I did have the odd fantasy of payback but mostly I just ignored the whole thing, resulting in a rather introverted person, hence rather... mixed feelings towards Vader. After all, he is the bully too, so maybe I just didn't want to "win" the bullies by becoming one of them...

Quote:
And empire strikes back has always been my favourite movie. I think mainly because the dark side kicks a little ass in that one.
I saw Star Wars IV when I was about eight, when life was still pretty easy on me, and didn't see TESB until I was thirteen. No Finnish television channel showed the rest of the trilogy until then, and then it was shown during a weekend, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, to celebrate the 20th birthday of the first film I suppose. It was magical. But I never saw the Empire striking back as a kid, just the atrocities in ANH.

Is it just me or are we doing a great deal of introspection over a game? If I were a game designer, this is something I'd aim to achieve.