View Poll Results: Bush is a good president?
Aye 31 22.14%
Nay 103 73.57%
Banana (I could care less) 6 4.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 6, 2003, 16:29   #91
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 07:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I've got an idea about why there is a discrepancy. Perhaps the Dutch TV confused Bush's poll numbers for Schroeder's?

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 6, 2003, 22:06   #92
Zealot
King

Local Time: 12:43
Quote:
Originally posted by rah

We have no 8 o'clock news. hmmmmmmm
You must be confused. We have two distinct types of news shows on the broadcast networks. This does not include the cable news channels like CNN CNBC etc.

One is the local news that is produced locally. It may cover briefly national or international stories, but that's not it's purpose.

Then there is the network news that covers mostly national and international stories with an occasional local story if it's big enough. CBS ABC and NBC. Much more credible than Euros give them credit for.

So it depends on which news broadcasts you're talking about. Get your facts straight before you make biased statements like that.

I was making an excessive argument on purpose oh mighty rah, what you say is true, but if I'm biased, then it's only in the part that the majority of the american people only watch their local news. I've never been on the US, but I've been told by someone who lived there fo quite some time. This is all the biased I can be.

DanS your head must be full of bullcrap if you really think there's a European conspiracy to overthrow Bush's Administration or something. Just don't start arguing that what is said over here is untrue. You still haven't said what's YOUR version of Bush's popularity, but whatever it is, ours sure isn't made to make Bush look dumb. He already does that on his own.
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old November 6, 2003, 22:24   #93
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:43
Quote:
It has never been below 50% in his presidency. Where do you guys come up with these bullshit numbers?
It's been below 50% a number of times (though not at 38%). It currently is at 48% according to Zogby. It was at 45% a couple months ago.
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=754
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old November 6, 2003, 22:35   #94
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
No, but YOU must be! I keep getting more and more surprised by the amount of censorship there must be in USA's media!
You have no clue what you are talking about. The only way the Government can "censor" anything is by limiting what they tell the press or limiting what they leak to the press. The government does not control the media. While each news company does have their own particular bias, that is determinded by their ownership, and not the Government. If there was "censorship" there would never be a negative story done about the Bush administration... and we know that happens all the time... Each media outlet provides the stories they think there audience will want to know about... If one of the major outlets don't pick up on a story, I can always find it out elsewhere... If I don't like the bias applied to a story by a news outlet, I can always go to another outlet that is more balanced.

So you are the one that seems to be living in fantasy land... Your own biases are starting to show as you just make stuff up about something you obviously know very little about
Old November 6, 2003, 23:18   #95
DanS
Deity

Quote:
You still haven't said what's YOUR version of Bush's popularity, but whatever it is, ours sure isn't made to make Bush look dumb. He already does that on his own.
That's a rather boring troll.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 7, 2003, 17:44   #96
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Zealot: I can only go by SM tells us. If the reporters say that Bush's approval rating is at 38%, then they're dumb shits or big fat liars.
http://www.tiscali.nl/content/article/bui/571376.htm

Rectification. Bush's approval rating isn't 38%...but only 38% of Americans will vote for Bush in the next election.

Uit een landelijke opiniepeiling... blijkt dat maar 38 procent van de kiezers van plan is volgend jaar op Bush te stemmen

A nation wide opinion pull shows that only 38% of the voters plans to vote for Bush next year.

Uit een opiniepeiling...bleek dat een meerderheid van de Amerikanen...het Irak-beleid van president George Bush afkeurt.

An opinion poll shows that a majority of the Americans disproves of president Bush's Iraqi policies.
Old November 8, 2003, 18:17   #97
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:43
Saturday, November 8, 2003 Posted: 4:41 PM EST (2141 GMT)

(CNN) -- A poll released Saturday finds that more registered voters want to see President Bush voted out than kept in office in the next election, but his job approval rating has remained constant.

In the Newsweek poll, 50 percent of registered voters who were queried said they do not want to see Bush re-elected, while 44 percent said they do.

The survey of 1,002 adults interviewed Thursday and Friday has a margin of error of plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The president's overall approval rating in the survey was 52 percent -- the same it has been in previous polls by the magazine during the past two months.
Old November 9, 2003, 10:03   #98
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
In the Newsweek poll, 50 percent of registered voters who were queried said they do not want to see Bush re-elected, while 44 percent said they do.

bye bye Dubya!
Old November 9, 2003, 14:45   #99
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus

bye bye Dubya!
I wouldn't worry too much at this time. The Democrats have been campaigning for some months now attacking Bush. Bush has not been campaigning and has not been directly responding to the Democrats.

I don't have the poll, but if you run Dean, the most likely Dem candidate, against Bush, Bush wins. Dean appears to have created a very bad first impression among many Americans.
Old November 10, 2003, 09:30   #100
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
Bush has not been campaigning

Quote:
has not been directly responding to the Democrats.
Cause he has no adequate response.

Quote:
if you run Dean
what about Clark?
Old November 10, 2003, 10:57   #101
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 11:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

I don't have the poll, but if you run Dean, the most likely Dem candidate, against Bush, Bush wins. Dean appears to have created a very bad first impression among many Americans.
Not if you ran Dean with Clark. I think that would be strong ticket that would blunt the effect of Dean's weaknesses in foreign policy and homeland and national security.

That's the only chance Dean has.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old November 13, 2003, 16:13   #102
DanS
Deity

Bush's approval among registered voters doesn't mean anything. There are more democrats registered than republicans, but republicans vote more often than democrats. Because of this, among likely voters Bush probably has a higher approval than among the entire populace.
Old November 13, 2003, 18:00   #103
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 11:43
Niet

Old November 13, 2003, 18:13   #104
NeOmega
Prince

The Republican strategists actually thought their 70% approval ratings were going to carry longer than this. I would never put such faith in the American attention span.

Quote:
Bush's approval among registered voters doesn't mean anything. There are more democrats registered than republicans, but republicans vote more often than democrats. Because of this, among likely voters Bush probably has a higher approval than among the entire populace.
Not this time around. Bush has definitley mobilized his detractors. I am positive his supporter turnout will be quite similar to last election, but his detractor turnout will be much higher. I was talking to my brother about it earlier today..... Every single person who opposed the Iraq war will be voting in the next election. Every single one of em. I have talked with so many people about it, and most of them do not bother to vote, but this time around, with no convincing required, they have assured me they most definitley will.
Old November 13, 2003, 18:16   #105
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
So say Republican strategists. So, essentially, Republican strategist are saying "choose someone else please, this guy might have a chance"

Fact is, Dean is very popular. Look at how many people have decided already to put their money where their mouth is. I for one, intend to be on of the 2 million, and I only make $9 an hour.
Old November 13, 2003, 18:22   #106
DanS
Deity

Quote:
Every single person who opposed the Iraq war will be voting in the next election.
This is funny. You actually believe this?
Old November 13, 2003, 18:46   #107
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
This is funny. You actually believe this?
A vast majority, yes. Do you actually think I am wrong?

Face to face conversation with dozens of people. Bushies are quite oblivious to how deeply his actions have angered these people. If millions were willing to spend an entire day protesting, tens of millions will be willing to spend the few minutes to vote.
Old November 13, 2003, 19:00   #108
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 13:43
Quote:
I've got an idea about why there is a discrepancy. Perhaps the Dutch TV confused Bush's poll numbers for Schroeder's?

I doubt it, maybe Balkenende's....
Old November 13, 2003, 19:02   #109
DanS
Deity

Quote:
Do you actually think I am wrong?
Of course you're wrong.
Old November 13, 2003, 19:10   #110
Evil Knevil
Prince

It's okay, the bastard will get justice when he gets to the UK on the 19th. We're going to to flashmob him and moon him.

Either that or do a Gavro if one can get close enough. Two bullets, that's all it'll take.

I wonder if I'd get the chance to chuck high-explosive eggs at him
Old November 13, 2003, 19:14   #111
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Of course you're wrong.
Well, we will see, won't we. I see no reason to argue about the future, but.....

When I get the chance I'll be sure and let you know.... I TOLD YOU SO!
Old November 14, 2003, 02:48   #112
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Knevil
It's okay, the bastard will get justice when he gets to the UK on the 19th. We're going to to flashmob him and moon him.

Either that or do a Gavro if one can get close enough. Two bullets, that's all it'll take.

I wonder if I'd get the chance to chuck high-explosive eggs at him
You cannot possibly think this is amuzing. I hope you don't mind if I forward this post on to the proper authorities?
Old November 14, 2003, 05:44   #113
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
However, the people who hate Republicans are heavily into class warfare in the United States. I assume that this must be true outside the US as well. It just seems that those who believe in class warfarism (the "social-justice" crowd) are in the majority in Europe.
"Class warfare" in the current US context is simply a propaganda label to apply to anyone or anything that challenges the current policies and systems which reward those who are already privileged and create barriers for those who aren't.

Oppose tax cuts that benefit the rich, when their total tax burdens are generally less (or structurable so they could be less, but that's not always the goal) than the middle class and working class? Then you're into class warfare, because you don't automatically accept that your betters deserve it more than you.
Old November 14, 2003, 05:46   #114
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by NeOmega

A vast majority, yes. Do you actually think I am wrong?

Face to face conversation with dozens of people. Bushies are quite oblivious to how deeply his actions have angered these people. If millions were willing to spend an entire day protesting, tens of millions will be willing to spend the few minutes to vote.
What "millions" "spending and entire day protesting?"

They got realllllllllllllllllll good ganja where you come from, mon.
Old November 14, 2003, 16:50   #115
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

"Class warfare" in the current US context is simply a propaganda label to apply to anyone or anything that challenges the current policies and systems which reward those who are already privileged and create barriers for those who aren't.

Oppose tax cuts that benefit the rich, when their total tax burdens are generally less (or structurable so they could be less, but that's not always the goal) than the middle class and working class? Then you're into class warfare, because you don't automatically accept that your betters deserve it more than you.
See.
Old November 14, 2003, 18:00   #116
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

What "millions" "spending and entire day protesting?"

They got realllllllllllllllllll good ganja where you come from, mon.
Before the war, in one day, millions of people protested across the world.

200-300,000 in New York, 100,000 in Chicago, 30,000 in Seattle, these are the only rough figures I remmeber from the day, but since the protests were all over America, I know there were more than 1 million .
Old November 15, 2003, 01:52   #117
DanS
Deity

Good for you. You must realize that Louis Farrakhan can also turn out that many people. Haven't seen him have much of an electoral impact.
Old November 15, 2003, 02:55   #118
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

NeOmega:

You want to bet against Bush in this next election? I'll call that bet. Name your terms.
Old November 15, 2003, 03:29   #119
johncmcleod
Prince

Bush is a terrible president.

He has completely destroyed our reputation in the international community, and many more people have been recruited as terrorists around the world because of his actions.

Bush invaded Afghanistan, has weakened their economy and in everywhere except Kabul the country is torn apart by violence. Warlords rule the country and they are unchallenged by the US.

He went into Iraq. Now the Iraqis have no security, infrastructure, and power and running water took months to get working. Thousands of lives have been lost, and are troops are now in a bad position. They are in a land where they are being attacked almost daily and the people do not want them there. A perfect situation for terrorists. So many more lives will be lost, and Iraq will become another brutal dictatorship (of course it will be on that supports the US).

Bush has also put the country into the biggest national deficit the country has ever seen. It could destroy our economy. And to 'fix it,' he cut taxes to make it way worse. I just don't understand my opponents' point of view on this situation. Since when is it good to be in major debt?

Bush has also turned the country into a country filled with nationalistic, zealous fanatics that believe the country can do no wrong and that Bush is on a quest to spread liberty throughout the world.

Bush has done absolutley nothing for the environment.

Bush is also spreading the message that international law and the rest of the world's opinion does not matter. Not to mention his policies encourage nuclear proliferation.

Quote:
The hatred of socialist and communists is well deserved because they hate freedom.
Please, stop posting BS here. You are wasting everyone's time by making such idiotic statements. It is obvious that you live in the US, because you have been brainwashed to hate an entire ideology without understanding it to the point where you make rash generalizations that are so blatantly false it is almost funny. And you hate everyone who believes in that ideology. Such closed-mindness and blind hatred is dangerous. There are millions of people in the world you hate and you don't even know them.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old November 15, 2003, 05:43   #120
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
NeOmega:

You want to bet against Bush in this next election? I'll call that bet. Name your terms.
I didn't say a democrat would win, I said the anti-war people will turn out in force for the election.

We'll get back to that when we see who is running. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my statement:

If DEAN runs, a vast majority of those who oppose the war will turn out. If it is Kerry or Gephardt or Lieberman, Bush wins hands down, the anti-war people will still turn out, but not as heartily.

However, after the primary decides who is running.....

My location will say Ben Kenobis B**** for 3 months if Bush wins, or yours will say NeOmega's B****. However, we can negotiate real terms, or even if the bet is to go through, after the primary.