Old November 3, 2003, 04:58   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Saving Jessica Lynch- next Sunday
on NBC

We all knew it was coming. Now that dreaded day has neared. The tv movie (or possibly miniseries) will be on NBC next sunday.

Anyone plan on seeing it? I definately won't. But I will read about it the next day to see how bad it sucked.
Old November 3, 2003, 05:04   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:45
"OMFG We went in and there were SO MANY TERRORISTS it was scary but we are AMEERICANS and we got through it and saved GLLORREEUS Jessica Lynch! Aint she BEAUTIFUL?!" - Some illegal immigrant.

I'd rather not
Old November 3, 2003, 05:05   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:45
I'd hit that ass though
Old November 3, 2003, 05:20   #4
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 07:45
:takes a rat, saws it in half. throws the posterior end across the thread: i don't give that.
Old November 3, 2003, 05:50   #5
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 14:45
I give my maximum respect to PsyOps. And I'm not bashing anyone right now nor am I kidding. I think they are doing excellent work.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 3, 2003, 06:00   #6
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 20:45
Quote:
Originally posted by self biased
:takes a rat, saws it in half. throws the posterior end across the thread: i don't give that.
Old November 3, 2003, 08:11   #7
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 06:45
looks like ****, sounds like ****, smells like ****...

but we're supposed to think it's a heroic movie? at least it's on sunday, when nobody watches nbc.
Old November 3, 2003, 08:18   #8
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I'd hit that ass though
G.W.S.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old November 3, 2003, 10:02   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

total bullshit propaganda
Old November 3, 2003, 10:09   #10
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

If all she did was be there, then she's got more nuts than you candy-asses.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:12   #11
Pekka
Emperor

that's true
Old November 3, 2003, 10:42   #12
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
If all she did was be there, then she's got more nuts than you candy-asses.
Maybe they could have a made-for-tv movie for the other 2000+ wounded.

Too much of a buzzkill, I suppose
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:42   #13
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Excuse me. I've been warned not to call anyone a jackass or candyass.
So what I meant is bastards.
Old November 3, 2003, 11:00   #14
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yeah... warned and obviously ignored....

Enjoy your 48 hour chill Sloww...
Old November 3, 2003, 11:18   #15
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

So, is this gonna be the real version, where the doctors tried to take her back to the Americans and told them where she was and that there were no guars or is it gonna be an exciting shoot 'em-up?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 3, 2003, 12:08   #16
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 13:45
I can't wait until it shows up as a tuesday late night (early morning) film on one of the minor channels in sweden 4-5 years from now. Right after a rerun of Walker, texas ranger!
Old November 3, 2003, 13:40   #17
JCG
Prince

Might watch it just for its comedy value (this doesn't mean that I find the real incident "funny", but I surely will laugh at the very liberal "interpretation" of the same that will be shown on tv)...
Old November 3, 2003, 13:56   #18
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
Will she be naked in the show?
Old November 3, 2003, 13:57   #19
Q Classic
Emperor

i know slowwy won't see this for a while.

the reason why this movie is **** is not because of her, but because it's another blatant attempt to garner ratings and cash in on someone else's pain and suffering.

shades of that damn elizabeth smart movie. it disgusts me.
Old November 3, 2003, 14:06   #20
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:45
All Jessica Lynch did was get into a car crash and get captured my Iraq troops. The people who actually did stuff to save the lifes of people get ignored while POWs get all the attention.

I Think it will be stupid movie and I am not watching it.
Old November 3, 2003, 14:09   #21
Pekka
Emperor

Q Cubed is right. It's not Jessicas fault that the upcoming story might be little modified to suit the purpose. But there are some facts, that still holds. She was captured, she was wounded, and she was in short combat.
It is not the important part when considering her performance if she really didn't crawl 100 meters to get two handguns after shot in the leg and opened fire to attackgin enemy killing 20 of them. Most likely she didn't fire a single shot. Most likely if she did, it was in the air and not even closed to be considered aimed shot. But so what? She was in a combat anyway, and did combat. That's something rare people can say they have done, and survived to tell about it.

Also, what ever happened with the stories about the whole releasing thing, it's not her fault for how it happened. It happened, and that's the most important thing. Even if the Iraqi soldiers/doctors didn't beat the living crap out of her everyday, that should NOT diminish her performance in any level.

Besides, the US needs heroes now, that they can give a real face. It's a great opportunity to take this chance. So you modify the story little bit.. I guess that irritates lots of people, and there will be artistic freedoms to be taken place but.. I think we should focus on bashing the directors etc after seeing how it really was made, but we shouldn't bash Jessica. She's not to blame.
Old November 3, 2003, 14:18   #22
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Q Cubed is right. It's not Jessicas fault that the upcoming story might be little modified to suit the purpose. But there are some facts, that still holds. She was captured, she was wounded, and she was in short combat.
It is not the important part when considering her performance if she really didn't crawl 100 meters to get two handguns after shot in the leg and opened fire to attackgin enemy killing 20 of them. Most likely she didn't fire a single shot. Most likely if she did, it was in the air and not even closed to be considered aimed shot. But so what? She was in a combat anyway, and did combat. That's something rare people can say they have done, and survived to tell about it.

Also, what ever happened with the stories about the whole releasing thing, it's not her fault for how it happened. It happened, and that's the most important thing. Even if the Iraqi soldiers/doctors didn't beat the living crap out of her everyday, that should NOT diminish her performance in any level.

Besides, the US needs heroes now, that they can give a real face. It's a great opportunity to take this chance. So you modify the story little bit.. I guess that irritates lots of people, and there will be artistic freedoms to be taken place but.. I think we should focus on bashing the directors etc after seeing how it really was made, but we shouldn't bash Jessica. She's not to blame.
When ever they make a tv movie out of some event they always change it to make it more entertaining. This is nothing new and has been going on for a long time.
Old November 3, 2003, 14:24   #23
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
i know slowwy won't see this for a while.

the reason why this movie is **** is not because of her, but because it's another blatant attempt to garner ratings and cash in on someone else's pain and suffering.

shades of that damn elizabeth smart movie. it disgusts me.
agreed...
Old November 3, 2003, 14:25   #24
Pekka
Emperor

Sure.. But we shouldn't diminish Jessicas performance if the tv movie is kind of.. out of reality and goes too far.
That could easily happen, like 'Jessica didn't do that' 'Jessica did that' but more like 'the makers of this film made this scene completely wrong'... something like that.
Old November 3, 2003, 14:27   #25
Q Classic
Emperor

i know they'll change facts. it's a well-known law of adaptations.

that does not change the fact that this is a transparent effort to cash in and appear patriotic based off of someone else's suffering.
Old November 3, 2003, 15:07   #26
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 05:45
The main reason I will not view the Jessica Lynch movie isn't because I dislike the young woman. It's because the war and ongoing post-war situation in Iraq is much, much more than saving the life of a single, female, POW.

It's great that they saved her (and I think "her" is why there's so much attention ... if it'd been a male, the media coverage would have been much less intense). But, hey, we've had men and women over there killed. They're the ones that really gave it their all, and made the ultimate sacrifice.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old November 3, 2003, 15:16   #27
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 13:45
If Mark Bowden* or someone like him was involved in making the script, it might be a very good TV drama. But I doubt anything from this war will be retold in a neutral, accurate and still dramatized way.

*Author of Blackhawk Down
Old November 3, 2003, 15:22   #28
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Interesting fact:

Theres a new game out called "FSOMETHING: Operation Iraqi Freedom".
Are YOU planning on buying it?
Old November 3, 2003, 16:00   #29
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
All Jessica Lynch did was get into a car crash and get captured my Iraq troops. The people who actually did stuff to save the lifes of people get ignored while POWs get all the attention.
It wasn't a car crash, her Humvee was RPG'd and drove into a wall as a result. Lynch wasn't "wounded" because the company's First Sergeant and SP4 Piestewa's bodies, along with the Humvee itself, absorbed the blast damage and fragments.

And yes, POW's get a lot of attention, because there's not many of them, and the potential results of being taken prisoner (or attempting to surrender) generally go from real bad to real worse. PFC Lynch was very "lucky" in that respect.

And yes, there should be more attention paid to the at least 9 Marine KIA's and their brethren who diverted from their original mission in support of other heavily engaged Marines (at the north end of Nassiriya) to try to reach the 507th Maint. Company personnel and extract them. Those Marines saved a lot of Army asses, becaue most of the 507th Maint. Co. was able to back the hell out of Dodge with cover from the Marines.

Quote:
I Think it will be stupid movie and I am not watching it.
Agreed.
Old November 3, 2003, 16:42   #30
Q Classic
Emperor

don't know about that game. i do know that sony got slammed for copyrighting "shock and awe" as a title for a future video game that they've wisely decided not to make.