Old November 3, 2003, 08:15   #1
mimi
Warlord

Local Time: 07:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why do they INSIST on doing that?
I am trying to play a "peaceful" game as the Romans (first time with them)... Ok, it isn't peaceful 'cause Egypt is sharing my land and I didn't want them there so I trimmed them a bit. Oh,and the Arabs settled north of my land and demanded tribute so I removed them. But, otherwise, it's peaceful.

Anyway, all of a sudden Carthage moves one of it's NM into my land (had to go thru Greece first too) - thought it was odd 'cause it just fortified outside a former Arab town I control and sat there for two turns. Then about 20 knights come out of Greece and join it! I hadn't even had a prob with Carth before... we trade gems too. Don't know what got up their bottoms! Anyhow, cost me a fortune to get Greece to sign up vs Carth (can't defend against 20 knights in lands I just conquered - spread too thin.)

Managed to regain control of that former arab town and can only figure it must be sitting on a soon to be discovered valuable resource, what with all the fighting going on over it. And I have to say Greece very gallantly lost several cities in defence of my honor!

So I will think twice before expanding farther into Greece's lands, in honor of their defence.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:03   #2
Stuie
King

Did you have a small military? The Carthaginians may have perceived you as "weak", and thus figured you'd be easy pickings for some warmongering.

Of course they didn't count on your Greek defense.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:29   #3
mimi
Warlord

Well... weak wouldn't be the correct word in my mind. But spread thin after my kick-out-that-rude-tribute-demanding-Arab presence... had 4 towns of former Arab descent with a single knight in each while I built some back up support in my core towns... guess to Carth that's weak. But, to me, that's just a tiny break while I rush temples in my new lands...

Yay Greece! I played Greece once a very long time ago and didn't like the green of them. Maybe I'll give 'em a swing again someday...
Old November 3, 2003, 16:59   #4
eris
Prince

Local Time: 05:45
Quote:
Originally posted by mimi
Well... weak wouldn't be the correct word in my mind. But spread thin after my kick-out-that-rude-tribute-demanding-Arab presence... had 4 towns of former Arab descent with a single knight in each while I built some back up support in my core towns... guess to Carth that's weak. But, to me, that's just a tiny break while I rush temples in my new lands...
If an enemy has the military capability to create 20-knight stacks, then one knight per city is not only "weak", it is nearly an engraved invitation with explicit driving directions. It is one step up from no defenders at all, welcome mat and city keys laying at the front gates.

But you already figured that out.

The important thing, from your overall narrative, is not necessarily that they are weak or not, it is that they are no longer Arab. That, I can understand.
Old November 3, 2003, 17:47   #5
spy14
Prince

Local Time: 11:45
I think thats the first time ive seen anyone here praise the Greeks. Agreed about the Arabs though XD
Old November 3, 2003, 18:40   #6
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:45
This is a completely seperate question...

Does the AI ever attack each other without human injection? I never see the AI attack each other without me forcing some sort of treaty that causes the war. I just started playing Civ3 again and haven't played in a long time. I've yet to see the AI attack each other. It's only me being attacked by the AI, which is fine since they get destroyed each time. I don't remember if this is a constant sort of thing where the AI rarely attacks each other. Could someone comment on this for me? Thanks.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old November 3, 2003, 18:44   #7
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

AI civs attack each other all the time. On larger maps I have seen civs basically destroyed shortly after I have become aware of them.
Old November 3, 2003, 19:03   #8
TechWins
King

I thought I use to see Civs attack each other all the time, too. Just recently, like the past month or so, I've played two games and not once have I seen the AI attack each other on their own. It got me to thinking maybe the AI doesn't attack each other. It's really weird.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old November 4, 2003, 07:57   #9
mimi
Warlord

Yep, I had some Egyptians walking thru my lands en route to their private little battle with the Arabs. I let them go 'cause, well, I like to watch them lose their military without any risk to myself.
Old November 4, 2003, 08:01   #10
mimi
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by eris

If an enemy has the military capability to create 20-knight stacks, then one knight per city is not only "weak", it is nearly an engraved invitation with explicit driving directions. It is one step up from no defenders at all, welcome mat and city keys laying at the front gates.

But you already figured that out.

The important thing, from your overall narrative, is not necessarily that they are weak or not, it is that they are no longer Arab. That, I can understand.
Well... what else could I do? Arabs got rude and I had been in building mode so I sent out most of my knights (mainly used as "defenders" while I build) to kick them off my land. Lost several and, well, couldn't stop until I removed the last Arab town (and, besides, he wouldn't give me anything for peace... I never stop war until I get some juicies for peace)... by that time I had only enough knights left to put one in each town. And a handful of old spearmen lying around but takes too long to move them to my new unroaded lands. So I'm building more knights to put in these towns when Carth comes. Silly Carthage... they are wanting peace now... HAHAHAHAHAHAH...