Old November 3, 2003, 14:07   #1
oetkenjc
Settler

Local Time: 11:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mod for Max # of Cities ?
I've been playing for quite a while now, which makes it seems weird I'm only encountering this obstacle just now....

I started up a huge game last week or so... played it religiously without consequence of being tired at work the next day.... I'm whooping up pretty good and I'm methodically taking out each race, one at a time. Finally to where I take my next city and it tells me "You have reached the maximum amount of cities that you can control with this style of Government. Aquiring my cities past this number will result in your citizens becoming unhappy."... or something like that.

Anyway... I'm sitting here thinking that my Corporate Republic (eh, I think that's what it's called... didnt feel like going to the game to find otu) style of Government should be more sufficient to hold more than 45 cities. I mean it's well past Democracy yet, for Democracy it says 30 max I think....

First it was my inclination to hurry and get the next best style of Governemnt (Virtual Democracy or Ecotopia) to up the number to 60... but... why ? I still have a large portion of the world left and for what...? to only be able to take 15 more cities? Realistically... the entire nation of the US (for example) or Germany... or England... or just about any damned place is going to have a massive amount of cities.

Why is the amount going to be a restriction ? Doesnt make sense to me.... but I wasnt on the CTP2 team... so I dont really know where they were going with this...

It was my next thought to go ahead and conquer more cities but I wasnt sure how severe the unhappiness hit would be on me.. (I was already getting spammed every round with the "everyone's having a bachelor party because they are happy to be romans..." or something like that

Anyway... to finish up this novel... I was wondering if anyone knows how to modify your max cities... to either infinity, or a number that is almost impossible to achieve just to clear this up ?

Thanks for your help in advance..
Old November 3, 2003, 14:37   #2
ahenobarb
Prince

A text file sets the mximum number of cities you can have. All you have to do is go change the numbers and save the file. I believe however that you have to start a new game for the changes to take effect however. I foget the name at the moment, but it is controlled by your government type so the file should be called something like that. It is in the ctp2_data\default\gamedata folder.

You can also do a windows file search and search for files containing the phrase MAXCIT -- just leave it at that since I forget if it is "cities" or "city". The file will pop up.

hope that helps.
Old November 3, 2003, 15:27   #3
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 12:46
It is in govern.txt. You can alter not only the cap, but also the penalty for each city over the cap.
Old November 3, 2003, 16:30   #4
oetkenjc
Settler

Oh... cool... hope I dont screw anything up )

Thanks fellas...
You're always going to have a problem lifting a body all in one peice. Apparently the best thing to do is cut up the corpse into six peices, and pile it all together. And once you get your six pieces, you have to get rid of it... because it's no good to put it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do.. is feed them to pigs. You've gotta starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped up body will look like curry to a piss ant. You've got to shave the head of your victims and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies digestion. You could do this afterwards of course, but you dont wanna go sifting around in pig **** now do you? They will go through bone like buttah. You'll need at least 16 pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about 8 minutes... that means each pig can consume 2 pounds of uncooked flesh.. every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig." -Bricktop in Snatch
Old December 7, 2003, 18:35   #5
RolandtheMad
Trade Wars / BlackNova TradersCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 06:46
The whole max cities concept is screwed up. It works for Regular maps but doesnt work at all for Gigantic maps. I wonder if they didnt play test this when it came out? Maybe we should just make 4 different govern.txt files for the four different map sizes and decide what were going to play before we open the game. Heheh.

Are there any ingame ways to get around this limit? I figured you could use some sort of happiness increasing buildings to keep the peasants in line? Its kind of hard to tell how much each additional city is going to annoy your citizens though.

Maybe instead of capturing cities or claiming territory I should just build lots of fortifications and only take the capitols and most choice areas. It takes awhile to get that amount of PW though and I hate it when the AI slips in and starts colonizing the usually barren interior.. ah, decisions, decisions..
Old December 7, 2003, 20:22   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Well thats why all the mods come with a "raze city" option and you can portion out the citizens from the conquered city around your own cities.
Old December 8, 2003, 18:13   #7
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:46
You can also use entertainers to cope with the problem if you just have 'some' cities over the limit.

One reason for us to get the source code was to fix such little annoyances.

-Martin
Old December 8, 2003, 18:34   #8
RolandtheMad
Warlord

Is there a way to essentially 'raze' cities in a normal game? I know you can obliterate cities with nukes & eco terrorists. Can you starve them down to size 3 and disband them as well?
Old December 8, 2003, 19:04   #9
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Keep attacking the enemy city with cheap units in ones and theres a 50% (IIRC) that the population will go down 1 pop by each attack, even if your one lonely warriors lose, this is an excellent way to kill a large population before taking the city.
Old December 8, 2003, 20:04   #10
RolandtheMad
Warlord

Yeah I just noticed this effect when I had to attack Abbis Abba in a few waves. Knocked their population down 2 points

You know the max # of cities wouldnt be so much of a problem is you could make vassal states like on SMAC. Maybe I should learn the slic code. Hmm..
Old December 8, 2003, 20:10   #11
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:46
When you conquer a city you could give it back to its former owner, of course afterwards you went with your troops in front of the city or better have some units in front of the city and then take it again, give it back, take it again and so on until no city is left to quonquer.

-Martin