Old November 3, 2003, 15:36   #1
mimi
Warlord

Local Time: 07:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Choosing who defends?
I thought I saw something about this awhile ago but can't find it or haven't remembered it correctly. Is there a way to choose who defends when you're attacked or does it always default the the one elite that you're trying to save up for an offensive? Nothing bugs me much more than having a reg pike and an elite knight together and knight ends up defending when it's supposed to be an offensive thing. Pike should defend, regardless of it's reg status, since that's what it's for. It's certainly not there to attack anything... so my pike ends up unharmed but knight doesn't have enough health left to attack... go figure.
Old November 3, 2003, 15:55   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 04:46
Whoever has the best defense ability after terrain, hit points and fortification status are considered, will defend.
So yes, if you come up with your tank army and you don't want it to defend, have an infantry army of sufficient strength in the same square (fortified, perhaps).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 3, 2003, 16:54   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

You can choose your defenders in Alpha Centauri, however.
Old November 3, 2003, 17:57   #4
spy14
Prince

Local Time: 11:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Whoever has the best defense ability after terrain, hit points and fortification status are considered, will defend.
So yes, if you come up with your tank army and you don't want it to defend, have an infantry army of sufficient strength in the same square (fortified, perhaps).
That should slow up your advance nicely. Most of the time being able to choose isnt an issue, but there are times when your potential counterattacking unit gets the c**p kicked out of it in defense.
Old November 3, 2003, 18:36   #5
TechWins
King

Whenever you have 2 units with the same defensive capability being attacked usually the unit that is classified as 'defensive' will be the defender. In fact, I don't ever recall seeing where the 'defensive' unit doesn't take predication.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old November 3, 2003, 20:11   #6
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 05:46
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Whenever you have 2 units with the same defensive capability being attacked usually the unit that is classified as 'defensive' will be the defender.
Yes, if the defensive stats are the same after all modifiers. But Mimi is talking about the situation where you have an offensive unit with more HPs than the defender and the off units winds up defending. It some situations it would be nice to chose. But, those situations are relatively few so I'm not that bothered.
Old November 3, 2003, 20:41   #7
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
You can choose your defenders in Alpha Centauri, however.
IIRC, Civ3 isn't SMAC
Old November 3, 2003, 20:41   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Thank you TechWins, for the reminder. All other things being equal, the defense-type unit will defend.
A carrier or transport, especially IF they are carrying something, will also not defend. If not loaded, I have seen a carrier showing above a destroyer, but the destroyer switches to the top if a plane is put into the carrier.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 3, 2003, 20:50   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Yeah, there have been many times I wished I could choose the unit to defend.
Old November 3, 2003, 22:25   #10
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

The only time I find this being a problem is when i have a cavalry army, and it defends instead of rifle men.
btw, you can find who defends by multiplying the modified defence (units defence with fortification bonus's, ect) by the remaining hit points of a unit. the unit with the hightest score defends...
Old November 4, 2003, 01:34   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

IIRC, Civ3 isn't SMAC
Didn't I say "however"? But it seemed as if mimi was thinking of the AC ability to choose defenders.
Old November 4, 2003, 05:52   #12
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:46
When there is a tie in defensive value, I have always believed that the cheapest unit defends. An empty transport are cheaper than a destroyer and will defend first but a loaded transport is more expensive and will defend last.
Old November 4, 2003, 07:27   #13
grappleman
Chieftain

to me it has always seemed like the last unit left on the top of the stack is the first to defend, and then it goes through and selects the best defender. But thats just what i have noticed.
Old November 4, 2003, 07:49   #14
mimi
Warlord

Nope... you're all incorrect... I've figured it out. Whichever unit I need most to attack the final defender in an AI town is the one that defends first. Yep... can have rifleman sitting there but if I need my calv intact to attack the remaining defender, that's what ends up defending. So then I'm left with a 1 HP calv and a full strength rifleman - yee-haw!

(I gotta get to playing Conquests... I'm a bit miffed at this silly game...)
Old November 4, 2003, 08:14   #15
grappleman
Chieftain

Yes i believe you may be right mimi, the computer does pick the most inappropriate unit to defend for you. Have fun with conquests. i need to wait till this afternoon
Old November 4, 2003, 08:51   #16
Mad Bomber
King

Defender's are chosen by its total defensive power; this can be calculated by adding the defensive value and the number of hp's the unit has . If there is a tie then the tie goes to a unit listed as a defender. Also a transport unit, (or any unit in a transport unit) excluding armies, will not defend unless transport units are the only units defending.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.