Old March 25, 2000, 22:09   #1
Rasputin00

Tales from the Diplomatic Front VI
And as the sun rose upon this new world, the history books show that many many years ago, two nomadic tribes met together at the junction of a long peninsula , it was here, a site south of the present day Raz Central that they performed many a sacred and secret ritual, so secret that even to this day , they cannnot be repeated. It was here that these two tribes of mad wanderers formed a mutual bond and decided to worship the same great supreme being, they chose a leader to lead them and he was given the Name "The Great Raz" . With great authority , he sent the two tribes to explore and find somewhere to settle in fertile lands.
The first tribe headed north and then west, not finding much but swampland and plains, but soon they discoverd a flock of pheasants which the women folk took about catching and so the men folk decided to settle here and called the place Raz Central after their leader, and the Kingdom of Raz was founded, and the people begun calling themselves the Mad Monks.
The second tribe headed south and soon found a wandering gang of arcehrs who wished to worship our god and they were initiated into the Mad Monk sect. Together they continued to explore south and found a clear beach with access to nearby whales and so founded a new city, this they called South Raz after hearing of the former city being founded. in the interests of further expansion and resource needs the Archers were ordered to explore further south.

And so begun the lives of the Mad monks.....

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Rasputin00 (edited April 08, 2000).]</font>

Old March 26, 2000, 00:22   #2
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 17:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
So it was.... that in a cold plains square of the great north the two greatest tribes of the wandering Northmen met and chose a new leader to unite them to make them the greatest tribe in the world. The wise leader knew of another tribe near by in the great river valley so he ordered the tribes to go to their settlment and get their help. So the tribes set out and found the tribe of the great river valley, whose warriors were masters of the "swift-ones" creatures of great speed.

With the tribes all united the wise leader gave out his commands. We for all time shall now we known as the Texans. Let our Capital be at the source of the great River and be known as Austin. Let another great City, Houston, be built at the place where the great river met the sea. Let our warriors and their swift-ones explore the lands and find great riches for our new empire! And so it was....

The reports were good. While the northlands were cold, their were many rivers where settlements could thrive. The swift-ones found another tribe and they joined the great tribes of the north and settled in the River of the Plain and their city was known as Dallas.

The Texans grew and thrived. Restless young settlers left the cities and went to the lands told of by the swift ones. Settlers from Houston Settled the River of the Warm Sea. Settlers from Austin settled in the land of easily grown food, and their city was known as San Antonio.

The swift-ones found another tribe who were masters of the "swift-ones". They held a tournament to determine whose warriors were the fiercest. The Texans prevailed and the defeated tribe was excited of the stories of the great empire of the north. So the swift-ones with their new friends continued exploring for the great empire. They reached the land were the green grass grows. Their they found a great city. The swift ones descended on the city and camped with the people. They too were amazed of the power of the great empire of the north. Their chief desided that he would joni the empire and secure the land were the green grass grows. And so it was and their city was known as Galveston. And the year was 2750.

Frank Johnson
Head Honcho of the Texans
"Come and get it!"
Old March 26, 2000, 02:45   #3
Empress
The Empress

In the year 3500 bc the nation of Fountinia rose with the founding of the prime city, Fountinia on a lush forrest with fish and minerals nearby. The people unanimously chose me, Goddess Empress to guide them, protect them, and to lead them out of the darkness from which they came. The second band of settlers was sent out to inspect a hut and found an archer who agreed to join our humble tribe. This archer proved very useful, as he found several technologies, which greatly added to the prosperity of the Fountinians. In fact, there is even rumours of making the kingdom a monarchy. Soon a second city, Fountain's view was established.
Very soon there shall be two other cities founded. My wish is that the Fountinians continue to prosper and become a world leader... a wish that may soon become reality.

Goddess Empress
Old March 26, 2000, 09:23   #4
Visaggio
Settler

Local Time: 23:01
In the beginning, before The Empire, we were wanderers. The land before us was fertile, and the Buffalo were plenty, and tasty. Some of us decided to make our home here, between the plains and the coast. Others went on in search of new horizons, they wandered off to the south. Our little gathering eventually grew to a city, the Immortal Emperor called this Altdorf. After some time a message from the wanderers arrived. They had moved south to form the city of Marienburg and had discovered a band of great warriors manning wonderful machines that they called "chariots". Furthermore the chariots told us of yet another city even further south. This wonderfull news brought joy to our hearts, the dreams of our Immortal Emperor were coming true. Alas the latest reports tell of a savage attack by wild barbarians that has left the city of Nuln in ruins. We have dispatched scouts to confirm these stories.
Old March 26, 2000, 20:29   #5
Frank Johnson
King

Deity and I were throwing some ideas around to pick the game up. One suggestion was to give all civs that did not yet have Bronxe working that tech.

Is anyone opposed? I for one already have it, but dont care if it will keep you alive at least!
Old March 26, 2000, 20:57   #6
Empress
The Empress

Sounds good to me. Who doesn't have Bronze working yet though??
Old March 27, 2000, 02:05   #7
Rasputin00

I thijnk not to idea above, if some civs have chosen not to research defence first then they deserve to be punished by barbarians, I hav eenough prolbems restasrting for romans after i had 4 citys and coming back with only 2 and then we had another crash and restart that again cost me a city....

Old March 27, 2000, 02:14   #8
Visaggio
Settler

As far as the tech is concerned, i could go either way, i havent gotten any techs yet so naturally i would welcome any freebies, but i'm not going to get upset if we decide not to give any free techs. I am curious as to how we will start the next game, are we going to go back a turn or are we just going to press on? Or is this up for a vote? Im unclear as to how these things work.
Old March 27, 2000, 07:40   #9
hydey

this is all new to me so I will just go with the flow best not sleepin on sundays hey
ps thanks for all the help raz & deity

------------------
hooray hooray its a Hydey Hydey day

Old March 27, 2000, 23:19   #10
iadkins

The munificent DEITIANS set forth on a new quest to colonise yet another world.
We landed in a nice area and built our capital, DEITICITY.
There was significant activity from within strange hut-like dwellings from which weird and angry creatures would spew forth. No match though for Captain DEITICUS. They were fodder for training exercises

Occasionally a little wealth was uncovered but not sufficient to attract the attention of THE DEITY who was still caught up on planet "Diplo IV" waiting for time to restart

However Captain DEITICUS, determined to prove his worth as a leader, remains firmly in control in this new world and set forth settlers to build new cities in the safely secured nearby terrain. There has been no sign of any indigenous life nor any arrivals by sea.

There are whisperings of alien tribes present on the planet but word has arrived that maybe they are nearly extinct...

The DEITIAN (Day-ee-shan) people look to the stars once in a while and wonder when THE DEITY may arrive...

------------------
*THE DEITY*

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by iadkins (edited March 27, 2000).]</font>

Old March 28, 2000, 00:53   #11
Matthew
Prince

Grave misfortune befalls early Rome. First goody hut- masonry. useless for defense at this stage and in no way linked to Monarchy.

Dilemma: upon founding Rome, Caesar is left with 2 options.

1.Beeline for Monarchy. If the game imbalancing Raging Hoards show up, Rome may be screwed.

2. Research Bronze working or Horseback Riding first. Monarchy becomes a distant dream, as somewhere down the line yet another intermittent non-monarchy tech will be required before Monarchy can be persued further. Them Rome would surely be screwed.

For Caesar, who understands well the importance of effective government, the choice is obvious. Go for Monarchy and pray for mercy from Jupiter.

See, the problem is that Jupiter was a false god. Hello game imbalancing raging hoards.(So far 2 separate groups have landed. One group was killed off by the all powerful HOST. Unfortunately the all powerful HOST is not also all knowing. The other group was not.) Bye bye Veii.
Old March 28, 2000, 05:54   #12
Rasputin00

actually I find hte RH to be great game balasncers for all your above points it forces people to make decisions re reserach path, some choose defence jus ti ncase some choose monarchy to get a quicker expansion going, choices were made choices must be lived with...

Old March 29, 2000, 09:19   #13
hydey

in the worlds before Hydey civ2 kaos rained. EDYH RETEP HYDEY the father hydey said, with our thoughts we change the world. the 4 worlds formed again and yet again, elemental forces caused the egg to hatch from it came a stone HYDEY the nature of HYDEY was irrepressive

------------------

Old March 30, 2000, 10:29   #14
Matthew
Prince

First of all, in Raging Hoards in MP barbarians have a way of showing up in the same spot over and over and over, bombarding any nearby civ while leaving the others much more in peace. Surely you`ve noticed this. there used to be a thread on the matter, but it has likely been deleted by now. This can be a good thing if you have a decent peace of defensive terrain between you and that spot or if it is far enough away that you can build some walls, because then you can just let them attack and get the leader. But usually they will start showing up before you have walls. (Like when you have 2 cities that are size 2). Early in the game one just can`t afford to build walls unless you are guaranteed to get a barb leader out of it, which you aren't, even if you do have both horseback riding and bronze working, because often the leader will disapear or stack up with another set of barbs before you get to him. Even if this player has bronze working, one must still consider the fact that in RH barb archers and chariots attack at 4.5, and barb horses at 3, whereas a fortified phalanx defends at 3. Likewise a horse attacks at 2, vs the defense of 2 for the barb archer. So whichever defensive tech you pick you are going to have a lot of losses if you live near barb land. Your growth and developement is still going to be slowed dramatically even if you have a defensive tech. And to try to survive this and keep up with the others while mutting off Monarchy until 1000 to 1500 BC?

And getting out of despotism isn't just about expanding. No matter how you intend to play the game getting out of despotism asap has got to be a priority, even if it does mean taking chances.
Old March 30, 2000, 11:49   #15
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:01
Sorry to continue an off-topic diversion, but:

Matthew - ignore everything you read, and treat the barb archer as if it has a defense of 1. Horsemen have no problem picking these guys off in clear terrain, and usually win in forest/swamp/river. A couple horsemen can defend your cities pretty well against barbs.
Old April 1, 2000, 02:29   #16
Matthew
Prince

Normally barbs attack your first 2 cities at a disadvantage, and yes, often they do seem weak on defense. That's why I attacked the archer with a warrior in Veii. My reasoning was simple. weaken the archer, and the early city defense bonus would certainlty be enough to help the remaining warrior defend the city. The first warrior left the archer virtually unscathed, and the second fell easy pray. Bye bye Veii. Earlier I had another archer kill a warrior in my capital, and another warrior in Veii. Usually your first 2 cities geta big defensive bonus against barbs earlyon, but not this game.
Old April 1, 2000, 03:47   #17
KhanMan
Prince

Mat-I feel for you: in my duel with War, I lost my second city (triple special on a river, pop 3, no less) to a pair of barb archers. The city was defended by three vet fortified phalanxs...

That's why I always build on hills and mountains on raging now...

-KhanMan
Old April 1, 2000, 04:12   #18
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:01
white also has no response time against barbs in MP.Later this not a huge prob but early it is.Especially if you are near a "hot" spot.Matt knows this.I'm sure he'll come back.

I think this was 1x and building your first 2 or3 cities on a hill or forest might not be a good plan
Old April 1, 2000, 04:37   #19
hydey

looking forward to our continuing struggle against the barbarian hordes. playing in such a friendly enviroment is such a joy to be a part off see you all sunday morning or saturday night for the yanks

Old April 1, 2000, 22:21   #20
Rasputin00

Well after many bad connections we eventually switched hosts and apart from one dropout which didnt affect too much we are on our way again
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Rasputin00 (edited April 01, 2000).]</font>

Old April 1, 2000, 22:48   #21
Rasputin00

As our settlers founded more citys our people begun researching many wonderous technologies. These new advancements were used to keep our people happy and as most of our poeple were religous, temples were first thing on the agenda.

As our nation grew the raging barbarians of the world heard of our great citys and landed and unfortunalty the Great city of West Raz was burnt to the ground in one evil raid. Fortunalty to our south we met with a tribe of civilised folk not more barbarians and soon we had agreed borders, and so the borders of our nation to the south was on the "River Babylon", for there we sat down and there we wept, as we remembered West Raz.

And so with our southern border fixed we headed north again and discovered more barbarians and so for the next few centuries an evil war raged as we tried to expand in that direction.

The Great Mad Monk scientists made an awesome discovery of map making and so set upon forming the Royal Raz Navy. The new navy was put under the control of Robus Aulus, a very charming young man with many abilitys.

Soon we also met a Sioux archer who wished peace and after smoking traditional peace pipe, ( i wonder what was in it, we both felt really good afterwards) we also agreed to sharing of our learninigs with each other.

And so with the Royal Navy out exploring the grand frontiers and our home citys developing more scientists and growing wiser every day, another era passed.
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Rasputin00 (edited April 08, 2000).]</font>

Old April 2, 2000, 01:28   #22
hydey

as the sun god shone down pleasently so too did the mighty sioux empire grow soon we met mighty horseman of another tribe they were rightfully afraid and begged our mercy. After much thought our mighty leader HYDEY HO (the living god) chose the path of peace and thus a mighty treaty was signed and borders agreed upon. While this friendship aided our respective empires it was the meeting and friendship of the religious ones far to the north that started us all on the journey to the futore. Long may the Gods favour the all powerful sioux

------------------

Old April 2, 2000, 03:44   #23
Empress
The Empress

The past thousand or so years have brought much prosperity to my land. Four more cities have been built and the Fountainian dream of manifestdestiny was realized when the exploration team revealed we were on a small island. However, with the discovery of mapmaking, ships are now under construction and the list of those wishing to colonize distant lands grows with each passing day. All has not been blissful. For several hundres of years the people were restless and disorderly, refusing to work. However, upon the construction of temples in which to worship their goddess empress, order was returned and productivity increased. In fact, the people became so productive that they errected the Hanging Gardens of Fountain's View in my honor. I am looking forward to further expansion and city growth, as fleets of ships and throngs of settlers will soon be building irrigation systems and roaming the seas.
Wishing to form an eternal alliance with another empire...

Goddess Empress
Old April 2, 2000, 13:22   #24
Empress
The Empress

The Hanging Gardens of Fountainia and the top 5 cities of the world.
Old April 2, 2000, 13:24   #25
Frank Johnson
King

Texan explorers finally explored the extent of our continent. Its constistance of long penisulas make expansion difficult, however no less than 5 new cities were constructed. One however was destroyed by barbarians. After finding no others on my rather small and akward contient I have claimed it solely for my use. Those landing on my continent with the idea to stay permanently will be interperted as an agressive action. Respecting my territorial claim, which is fair and reasonable, is a requirement for a peace treaty. Obviously anyone whom respects my territory shall obtain a favorable view from the Texans on their territorial claims, and future cooperation. Keep in mind the structure of my contient, it is full on penisulas and very strange. Alot of the area I am listing is near useless interitor oceans.

A western boarder
(45,13)
(52,26)
(63,43)

South-East
(70,46)
(78,40)
(81,29)
(73,11)

North
(62,4)
(50,6)
(45,13)

Thus, while you are loading up your ships, send embassies and maybe caravans this way, but if you want cooperation with the Texan Empire leave your settlers at home. It is my home that by doing this we can avoid any conflicts at a later date.

Dangime
Leader of the Texans
Old April 3, 2000, 00:45   #26
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 18:01
Unable to attend to his Empire for a period Matt looking among the waiting peasants/would be leaders and asked "who among you is fit to rule?"
When it was apparent that no answer would be forthcoming, he ordered that one known as "Sparrowhawk" be ceized to act as leader in his absence.

Upon surveying the empire, Sparrowhawk's first order of business was to deal with the barbarians. Unfortunately for the absent Matt, the best solution Sparrowhawk came up with was to ingore the Barb's believing that in time they would go away, and the matter would deal with itself. Much to his surprize then when the barbarian archers arrived at Rome and quickly killed the defenders and torched the city. Among the few survivors were Sparrowhawk and his ministers. An angry Sparrowhawk confronted his Defense Minister on the way to the site he selected for his new palace, asking him "why wern't we better prepared for the barbarian menace?" to which his Defense Minister, who was still annoyed that he was not the one selected to lead in Matt's absence, retorted, "I told you not to come to me when they put your palace to the torch, now be off before I select us a new leader". Seeing no support forthcoming from the rest of council, Sparrowhawk wisely held his tongue.

Not satisfied with a simple palace, Sparrowhawk arranged for architechs, artisans, and labourers to spend 500 years in the construction of a new palace. By the time the palace was complete the growth of the empire had been greatly stunted by corruption and waste as the people were clearly dissatisfied with this "man who would be king". The final straw for the people came when he did finally reform the government into this "Monarchy" that he had heard whispers of from the leaders of other lands. As a further sign of impudence he named himself "King" and was arranging for the scribes to remove all mention of the name "Matt" from the history books when the aforementioned Matt returned to assess his Kingdom. Travelling first to the Ruins of Rome he was not pleased with the state of affairs in the new capital. He ordered Sparrowhawk to attack the barbarians, alone. Seeing the futility of this, Sparrowhawk choose rather to offer his services to the barbarians as leader, and they accepted. Rumours have been heard that he leads them into every battle, his head mounted on the pike of the bannerman.
Old April 3, 2000, 20:37   #27
Rasputin00

The Mad Monks, followers of the Great Raz , have made peace with all they meet. They met the not so friendly Texans, but then due to a quirk of the space time continuum (or maybe the contents of those peace pipes) the world reversed in time and suddenly we have now not met the Americans

It was with great interest that we read of the Texas peoples claims to all the land on "their " continent, in such a smallworld as this (Frank made it this size) all land is there to be settled, if one civ has been lucky to be alone on a continet of large size it is not fair to expect the other civs to accept that they remain isolated on small islands whilst one nation enjoys the excesses.

To our nation it appears this may become a major bone of contention over the years.

Our Naval Attache Robus Aulus, has set out messages in bottles, hoping they find the shores of distant lands, the messages clearly state the Mad monk peoples objectiv ein life is to form peace throughout world, detsroy all barbarians and make love whenever they can .

Stay tuned for more

Old April 3, 2000, 20:47   #28
Rasputin00

As can be seen fvrom powergraph below, The Texans (Americans - Light blue) are well ahead, followed by Deitians, the Mad Monks, Empress's lovely Green people, a fast accelarating Sioux tribe, and then well behind but close together is Spanish and Romans

Old April 3, 2000, 21:36   #29
Frank Johnson
King

Well my main concern is securing primelands which I had settled, but were destroyed by barbarians as I had mentioned before. It would be unfortuent if my neighbors were to plop a city near the location of the former Brownsville, which could lead to very bad relations in the future, even to the point of having to drive those out of the location. Once Texaan arimes go out on a mission, there is little I can do to stop them from completling it. The location was painstakenly cleared, and I was trying to avoid this situation from happening. As I type a garrison from Galveston is proceeding to that area to rout the barbarians and reclaim the area.

As for my claims on the continent, as I said before most of what I have claimed is useless inland sea. The rest is made of narrow penisulas which I an struggling to navigate with my settlers which are constantly infested by barbarians, none the less it is my only remaining frontier and I intend to settle it. Advances in sea technology will certainly speed up the process. Hopefully I will not have to start looking overseas for new territories if others don't feel it nessesary to clutter my homeland.

That's my statement. Texas prefers to keep things simple, and the situation is potientally dangerous. Texas will look favorably on those who respect my homeland, and laugh at those who try to settle my territories and the barbarians, ment for me, come to rout your cities. The eastern coast of my continent is where my espically tense efforts have been located and where the mad monks navy has been located, and I felt it would be better to inform you now of the history of the region and mention it would be better for everyone if you sought colonization elsewhere.
Old April 5, 2000, 00:24   #30
Matthew
Prince

Great Caesar is mightily saddened by the continuing misfortunes that have befallen Rome in his absence. He requests understanding and consideration from other nations who would settle lands that rightfully belong to Rome, but as of yet, due to the afore mentioned misfortunes, have not yet been settled.

Those of you who would count Rome as being out of the game, understand:

I, Matthew, PHYSICS Dude of the HOUSE of BUBBA, have a plan.