Old November 5, 2003, 13:27   #1
ragou
Settler

Local Time: 12:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Inflation hell
I'm playing as Spain and I have a rather big inflation problem. Du to that I've conquered all of the old indian countries (Aztec, Zapatec, Maya, Chimu, Inca) I have rather lot of gold coming into my treasure. Unfortunately I therefore have 0.5 inflation per year approximately. I usually try to always minimize inflation if possible, so this is irritating.

The real problems started after I got an event of bankruptcy (no, I hadn't let myself into bankruptcy by loaning too much) that made me get +20 inflation. I am now up to about 75% inflation.

What can you do to lower inflation (I haven't enough techs to upgrade to mayors yet) without cheating?
ragou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 13:57   #2
adi321
Chieftain

you only get inflation from gold if you don't earn enough from other things. so to stop the inflation from increasing you ill have to olonize a lot and/or conquer some more land.

As for lowering inflation the only thing that works apart from Guvenors are random events...
adi321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 15:04   #3
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 13:57
That's right. But as you probably already earn a LOT of money, you should drag the slider all to the left( =0% inflation) and research all infrastructure. When you get level 4, you'll get the option to build guvenors. Build that in all your privinces ASAP(provided you have 1.07 or 1.07beta). Then you'll get a deflation percentage that will (hopefully) be bigger than the inflation percent.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 15:52   #4
adi321
Chieftain

*cough* infra 5 *cough*
Old November 5, 2003, 17:22   #5
Colon™
Emperor

Every single loan also adds to inflation by 1% IIRC. (at least I witnessed this in my latest EU game as Spain on the hardest level)
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Colon™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 17:36   #6
Nikolai
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by adi321
*cough* infra 5 *cough*
Wooops! My bad...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old November 5, 2003, 17:37   #7
ragou
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
That's right. But as you probably already earn a LOT of money, you should drag the slider all to the left( =0% inflation) and research all infrastructure. When you get level 4, you'll get the option to build guvenors. Build that in all your privinces ASAP(provided you have 1.07 or 1.07beta). Then you'll get a deflation percentage that will (hopefully) be bigger than the inflation percent.
Yes, hopefully I'll get governors sometime.

I can now inform you tat after the second of these bankruptcy events I'm now up to about 125% in inflation-level. I want some deflation events!

At least I earn rather lot of money as you say.
Old November 5, 2003, 17:42   #8
Nikolai
Deity

125 % inflation is much, but it's like nothing compared to Carolus Rex's! I don't remember the number he had once in one of his AARs, but itr was HIGH!

But do as I said, and drag the slider all to the left. It gives more money to research(and you really want to get the infra techs, I assure you!) and less inflation. And you should also conquer some (preferably rich) provinces without gold, for example France or NA.
Old November 5, 2003, 17:58   #9
ragou
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
125 % inflation is much, but it's like nothing compared to Carolus Rex's! I don't remember the number he had once in one of his AARs, but itr was HIGH!
I was hoping that if you get high enough, it would somehow go round and down to zero again Besides, I'm used to 0% in inflation, so this is indeed very high for me.
Quote:
But do as I said, and drag the slider all to the left. It gives more money to research(and you really want to get the infra techs, I assure you!) and less inflation. And you should also conquer some (preferably rich) provinces without gold, for example France or NA.
I always have that slider to the left (except if I have some loan I want to pay off). But I should perhaps go about and conquer the remaining tribes in NA. Conquering France sounds good too, though I haven't had much of wars in Europe, concentrating on North America. I did annex Portugal though, and that brought down the inflation by approx 0.1 each year at least.
Old November 6, 2003, 11:53   #10
adi321
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Colon
Every single loan also adds to inflation by 1% IIRC. (at least I witnessed this in my latest EU game as Spain on the hardest level)
Not in the beta's IIRC
Old November 6, 2003, 18:31   #11
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 04:57
I almost always have a hard time controlling inflation. I guess I'm just not patient enough.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 17:17   #12
ragou
Settler

It is possible to get rid of that inflation. I now have 0% inflation-level again! It took a lot of mayors to get there.
Old September 19, 2004, 11:12   #13
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

It was possible in the basic version; but in the mod I downloaded, mayors just cause minimal deflation, and You can't cut inflation completely
Heresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2004, 11:15   #14
Nikolai
Deity

You mean in the beta patches?
Old September 19, 2004, 11:19   #15
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

The thing I needed to install to play Independent Europe
Heresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2004, 18:25   #16
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 07:57
I usually have trouble w/ inflation every now and then, most often when playing a nation for the first time. Right now, that nation is Sweden, and my inflation has hit 60%. But, I'm just now promoting mayors, so...
dojoboy is offline   Reply With Quote