Old November 12, 2003, 07:12   #91
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 13:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I think I have seen it under some other name....

- Paul Valery
Old November 12, 2003, 10:33   #92
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 07:58
I don't know what a lot of you are *****ing about. Revolutions was a good movie. Sure, the plot was crap and had holes you could drive a truck through, but it's no worse than any other action flick. And as action flicks go, this one was pretty bad-ass.
Old November 12, 2003, 10:46   #93
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 06:58
imho...

people are being too harsh on revolutions, and people weren't harsh enough on reloaded.
Old November 12, 2003, 10:54   #94
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
people are being too harsh on revolutions, and people weren't harsh enough on reloaded.
I sort of agree, although, in the end, I liked both Reloaded and Revolutions. They're both really enjoyable action films once you free your mind of the idea that the Wachowski's vaunted "philosophy" is anything more than a loose collection of ideas borrowed from various religions and entertainment sources. If you don't go into the films expecting a deep story, you are sure to have a good time.
Old November 12, 2003, 11:14   #95
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

In short, the Second Renaissance:

The humans invent robots, and get them to do all the work. The humans laze and party all the time. This is fine until aman tries to destroy his robot, which promptly kills him. The robot claims he "didn't want to die", while the prosecution claim a man's right to destroy his property. The robot is put to death, and the destruction of robots is ordered. Mobs go on the rampage killing them. The machines create their own nation, which because of their work, lack of need for sleep, and general processes, rapidly dominates world production, and their economy soars. The nations of man try to combat this, and fail. The machines go to the UN for a treaty, and are thrown out. The nations of man blockade the machine nation, and so the war starts. The machines are winning, so the humans try to scortch the sky. The machines, when winning, experiment on the humans to find a power source, and to find how they work, to help win the war. They win, conviningly. The rest goes as Morpheus explains in the first film. It's done pretty graphically at times.

Summary: Men are *******s and we deserved it
Old November 12, 2003, 20:27   #96
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Saw it just now.

This movie left me with many questions, the most irrelevant of which I must ask first (not unlike Neo)

When did you guys realize Bane was the real-world Smith?

To me it was immediately obvious when I first saw Reloaded, but during the break in Revolutions I think I had to explain to about 2 dozen people who he was, and many still didn't believe me. Got a few compliments afterwards

To quote a famous Duch football coach: am I so smart or are they so stupid?
Old November 13, 2003, 03:31   #97
Koyaanisqatsi
King

They're stupid.

Very.
Old November 13, 2003, 05:16   #98
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Saw it just now.

This movie left me with many questions, the most irrelevant of which I must ask first (not unlike Neo)

When did you guys realize Bane was the real-world Smith?

To me it was immediately obvious when I first saw Reloaded, but during the break in Revolutions I think I had to explain to about 2 dozen people who he was, and many still didn't believe me. Got a few compliments afterwards

To quote a famous Duch football coach: am I so smart or are they so stupid?
Well Smith took him over at the beginning of Reloaded so I was aware since then that Smith had bridged the gap...
Old November 13, 2003, 06:58   #99
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

The triology is cinematic history... The first film is a masterpiece; the sequels don't (can't!) live up to the expectations created by it. Demanding that they would push the boundaries just as the first film did, is to demand too much...

The Wachowski brothers are geniuses and I highly regard them for the first film...

That being said, I can't believe they could let such a rotten, corny dialogue as the one in the third film slip through... Sentimental drivel, conceived only to appeal to immature teenagers?

I saw the third film in Geneva. It's ok except for the pathetic dialogue. People laughed out loud (and rightly so!) at several occasions. The scene where Trinity dies (I kept sinking deeper and deeper in my chair, wanting to disappear; people were laughing everywhere), when Neo becomes blind ("I'll be ok"), when Morpheus and Niobe race towards Zion and drop pursuit clichées left and right as in some bad cop movie (no dialogue needed at all here), when the rookie-about-to-be-a-man (blah!) is about to blow port/gate 3 open ("Do it, kid!") and so on and so on... Where's a vomit smiley when you need one!

All in all, one masterpiece and two ok films. The third film suffers from extremely poor dialogue... The second film suffers from some bad computer animation: did anyone else feel like playing a console game when Neo fought the cloned Smith, or found themselves counting pixels in Trinity's face when she falls towards her death, firing away at an agent?

Carolus

Last edited by Carolus Rex; November 13, 2003 at 07:07.
Old November 17, 2003, 03:12   #100
korn469
Emperor

Ok I saw revolutions today, I'd been busy and hadn't gotten a chance to see it yet because originally I had intended to see it on the opening night. I had seen reloaded on the opening night. In preparation for revolutions I rented and watched reloaded last night.

I enjoyed the movie, although I wasn't blown away by it. My first though walking out of the theater was they packed quite a bit into the movie. It was a good action movie, and good but not great.

Things I liked:

*The Mervoginian(sp?), he is one of the best characters of the entire movie, and I wished that he'd had more screen time with more of his background filled in. This was maybe my favorite part of the entire movie, especially when he asked for the oracle's eyes. What a great request!

Some questions: Did all of Merv's best programs get killed in reloaded? Were the twins really dead? they looked liked they might have made out out of the freeway explosion alive. Did Merv and Persephone(sp?) make it into the newest version of the matrix? How did Merv meet the train man, and what was he doing exactly?

*Agent Smith

he kicked ass...I just hate it had to end like that
his scene with the oracle was great!

*the guy who played the human version of smith...he did an awsome smith impersonation!

also the fight between him and neo was great

*the sentinals chasing the ship niobe was piloting, good scene there

*the machine city, and the sky above the clouds, i just noticed the sky isn't just blacked out, it's basically like an emp layer covering the earth

*i actually kinda liked trinity's death speech

*commander locke
he was just cool

ok things that i wasn't so hot about

*the sentinals battle scene, i don't think it could have been done better on film but it was unsatisfying

*a lack of a major adrenaline rush...no storming the military building like in the first movie, and no freeway scene like in the second one...the sentinal assault just wasn't as cool

*the dialouge was bad at times, not horrible but could have been tightened up

to reiterate a few other negatives i agree with

*the kid was a waste of time, not really fleshed out, and fairly annoying...the extra drama he added could have been spent on other things (like fleshing out niobe and morpheous {damn why are all of the names fairly hard to spell)...he shouldn't have been in either movie

*link's wife running around being a sentinal killer was overdone as well

*i wasn't truly fond of them changing the oracle, but oh well

*the child program wasn't as developed (plotwise) as it should have been

*the death speech for the kid was overblown

*too many people going on faith, yea it's the whole point of the movie, but maybe they indulged themselves a little too much

*everything was slightly too much deus ex machina

all in all reloaded and revolutions were good, not as ground breaking or as lean and mean storywise as the first, but good. What impressed me the most...

*each movie added more to the background world, it felt much larger than what we saw in the movie

*even being basically all powerful, neo didn't break the movie...this was my biggest worry between the matrix and the matrix reloaded, i thought it would be boring because neo could basically kick everyone's ass. Moving much of the last two movies out of the matrix, then making it impossible for one person to do it all really got around a major drama handicap

*good production values, the last two weren't as good as the first, but all were good action flicks
Old November 17, 2003, 04:09   #101
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
*i wasn't truly fond of them changing the oracle, but oh well
They had to change the Oracle because the original actress portraying the character died during shooting.
Old November 17, 2003, 04:22   #102
korn469
Emperor

Drake

I didn't know that, which is too bad. I thought that since they shot both movies at once and since she was in reloaded so much that she was alive for both. I'm sorry to hear that.
Old November 17, 2003, 04:53   #103
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

I think this guy has come up with by far the best explanation I've seen so far.
Check it out http://wylfing.net/essays/

- Paul Valery

Last edited by laurentius; November 17, 2003 at 05:20.