Old November 5, 2003, 21:25   #1
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 05:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
CURSE St Louis!
I live in st louis, Missouri. Not a single store in the entire city sells conquests! I thought it was supposed to be out by the 4th in america, but nieither EB, best buy, gamespot, circute city, comp usa, or any local hardware stores sell conquests. Are other people having this problem in other cities? or is it just st louis...
Old November 5, 2003, 21:45   #2
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Local Time: 06:58
Your best bet would have been to go to Gamestop and put down a small deposit last week, then the manager would have been forced to order it for arrivial today
Old November 5, 2003, 21:52   #3
Terser
Warlord

Re: CURSE St Louis!
Quote:
Originally posted by zorbop
I live in st louis, Missouri. Not a single store in the entire city sells conquests! I thought it was supposed to be out by the 4th in america, but nieither EB, best buy, gamespot, circute city, comp usa, or any local hardware stores sell conquests. Are other people having this problem in other cities? or is it just st louis...
I live near Sedalia, Missouri Zorbop. I knew Conquests wouldn't arrive in my neck of the woods anytime soon so I preordered it from Gamestop.com months ago.

I'll have it--and the preorder CD--in my grubby mitts tomorrow if UPS package tracking is correct(which it usually is).
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old November 5, 2003, 22:46   #4
volsang
Settler

Local Time: 11:58
It wasn't in Madison, Wisconsin the 4th either. I was told that the 4th was the day of shipping and it didn't nessarily mean it was in the stores at that time. Didn't have this proble m with CIV 3-vanilla and CIV 3-PTW. I was under the impression that it was like a music release and that it would be in the stores on Monday only they couldn't sell it until Tuesday. Guess, I was wrong. Next year if there is another Xp, I will be ordering online.
Old November 5, 2003, 23:21   #5
G'Kar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by volsang
I was under the impression that it was like a music release and that it would be in the stores on Monday only they couldn't sell it until Tuesday. Guess, I was wrong. Next year if there is another Xp, I will be ordering online.
That's the way it's supposed to work, but apparently Atari et al were a little slow.
Old November 6, 2003, 08:02   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:58
You should remember that the release date was supposed to be later, and that you guys are just very very lucky to get the game so soon thanks to some magic somewhere along the chain. No being ungrateful now, y'here?

Some of us have to wait another two weeks.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 6, 2003, 11:07   #7
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 07:58
- right mouse click
- Abandon City
- Do you really want to abandon St. Louis
- YES
Old November 6, 2003, 13:45   #8
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
- right mouse click
- Abandon City
- YES
Priceless!

(btw - I pick up my copy at EB games here in Toronto this afternoon. )

(and btw - it was pre-ordered and paid for.)
Old November 6, 2003, 14:25   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
- right mouse click
- Abandon City
- YES
LoL
Old November 6, 2003, 17:32   #10
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I just picked up Conquests from EB at Dulles Town Center (Washington DC). The guy at the store said its been selling very, very fast. I did not pre-order and was lucky to pickup the second to last copy.
Old November 6, 2003, 21:28   #11
zorbop
Warlord

Quote:
- right mouse click
- Abandon City
- YES

that is terrific.
Old November 6, 2003, 22:25   #12
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
zorbop,

I grew up in St. Louis (Creve Couer and Ladue, Dad at Barnes).

Abandon.

T
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 7, 2003, 00:04   #13
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

I was born in St. Louis! My dad was in a graduate program at Washington University when I was born. Don't remember too much, but I've always been a St. Louis Cardinal fan.
Old November 7, 2003, 15:49   #14
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 06:58
RELEASE DATE 11/4/03 + Two Days Shipping = 11/6/03

I got it at Gamespot yesterday - they hadn't yet put them on the shelf.
and in the darkness bind them.
Old November 7, 2003, 16:42   #15
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by volsang
I was under the impression that it was like a music release and that it would be in the stores on Monday only they couldn't sell it until Tuesday.
Game Software releases never work like that. The "release" date is the date distributors get the software. It is then up to the individual retailer to distribute the product to their own outlets.

Some stores (Gamestop, EB) have really good distribution systems because they are geared to software. Others (Best Buy, Compusa, etc.) are slower because the distribution system has multiple layers and is not software specific.
Old November 8, 2003, 14:32   #16
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 08:58
All you guys are very lucky getting the game within 1 week of the release. Europeans, well, just 2 weeks waiting, and that's it.

Now, down here in Brasil...
Old November 8, 2003, 17:34   #17
G'Kar
Prince

Quote:
I was born in St. Louis! My dad was in a graduate program at Washington University when I was born. Don't remember too much, but I've always been a St. Louis Cardinal fan.
Well that's what I'm doing now; maybe this post is a message that I need to make a kid now.
Old November 8, 2003, 22:41   #18
heysewa
Settler

Got it friday at a gamestop on manchester in STL suburb
Old November 10, 2003, 21:18   #19
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
quote:

Originally posted by G'Kar
Well that's what I'm doing now; maybe this post is a message that I need to make a kid now.
Hi Dad,

It's me -- your son! What? You don't recognize me? Well maybe its because I've time travelled 20 years into the past. You see, it's 2023 and I wanted to thank you for doing such a great job raising me.

However, we have to talk about mom...I mean your girlfriend. Here's a hint, try not to embarass her at the party this weekend. If you don't listen to me, you will be hearing about this for the rest of your life -- trust me.

There's so much I could tell you - I don't know where to begin. However, I would remiss in my duties to not warn you about that 2015 Subaru Outback you bought. What a piece of crap. You know how hard it is to get laid in that thing???? Oh, that's right, you do. I've been following you around recently in your 2002 Subaru Outback... Well, father like son... By the way, the Cardinals have sucked since 2010

Anyway, I must go now. We have a Civ8 multi-player game going on with 200 civs back in 2023! I'm stuck with Iceland, but I'm going to try and make the most out of it. The damm patch was 4.7 gigs and took 3 minutes to download!!! The patches keep getting bigger and bigger...taking longer and longer to download -- Who's got that much time? I just don't believe technology can keep progressing like it has...oh wait a minute... I think I remember you saying that all the time when I was growing up! You sounded like such a geezer.

Well, I must get going. I just got accepted to the graduate program at Washington University in St. Louis. I know you are going to be so proud. By the way, I met a girl and I think she's the one... Don't worry, I have condoms with me...hmmm...somewhere around here....

Your loving son.
Old November 11, 2003, 12:37   #20
Mad Bomber
King

I stopped by Best Buy on the 4th and they told me it was a 6:00 PM release, had to go to work that day, but I picked up my copy on the 5th. (Columbus, OH)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.