Old December 4, 2003, 12:45   #31
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Okay, I just scratched taxi cab company off my list of companies I planned to invest in.

Honestly, if I can extrapolate and extracate something meaningful from the CharlesBHoff postings.... is the bottom line message in the postings the concept that a company can use assets, investments, losses, etc in a manner to show a financial "loss" when actually they are a solvent company? I'm willing to wager that everyone on the board knows that...

This is a debate about depreciation, asset valuation and tax loopholes???
Old December 4, 2003, 12:50   #32
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:59
Second rule of how to make money as a French company:

2) Rename yourself to something not too Frenchy, like a game company name you acquired in a previous deal so people don't realize your the same crappy French software company you've always been.

Oops, doesn't look like rule two is working yet. Maybe they should go back and read Rule number one.
Old December 4, 2003, 17:48   #33
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Local Time: 11:59
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
First rule of how to make money as a French company:

1) Leave France.
First rule to make money as than French Company stay in French and knick America ass.
Old December 4, 2003, 18:33   #34
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
They were probably trying to move away from their french company roots,
They were probably just dumbasses. I have yet to meet and verify someone who geniunely boycotted the French and kept it up. There might be Wiglaf or Fez, but they can't be verified as they are only online personalities.

In fact, if they were, thumbs down. Have they no sense of loyalty and pride to their country?

The name change was probably more attributible to "Hey look we own this brand name that made a few really cool things then went down the shithole, why don't we use it" plus a severe lack of mental function...

Also note, "Infogrames" is IMO a hell of a much cooler name than "Atari".
Old December 4, 2003, 22:31   #35
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 21:59
Shogun: Yeh, that's about it really! I was trying to make the point to our dear CharlesBHoff that in the real world you cannot continue to make cash profits and book losses indefinitely, if the book losses are reflecting a decline in your asset values (ie, depreciation). The only way this works is if the value of your asset is actually growing (eg, goodwill, which can be amortised but often grows in value). In his example of taxi cabs, the asset value would almost certainly decline over time, meaning that his wonderful tax free cash operating surplus would be more than offset by the need to replace the taxis after a few years.

Unfortunately however, Mr Hoff would prefer to make rash generalised claims based on his worldly experience and hearsay rather than address specific issues of detail. People like that are a dime a dozen!
Old December 5, 2003, 01:15   #36
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Traelin
Wowsers is it just me or is anyone having a hard time understanding Hoff's posts?
That has come up before. He's disabled.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 5, 2003, 05:07   #37
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller
Shogun: Yeh, that's about it really! I was trying to make the point to our dear CharlesBHoff that in the real world you cannot continue to make cash profits and book losses indefinitely, if the book losses are reflecting a decline in your asset values (ie, depreciation). The only way this works is if the value of your asset is actually growing (eg, goodwill, which can be amortised but often grows in value). In his example of taxi cabs, the asset value would almost certainly decline over time, meaning that his wonderful tax free cash operating surplus would be more than offset by the need to replace the taxis after a few years.

Unfortunately however, Mr Hoff would prefer to make rash generalised claims based on his worldly experience and hearsay rather than address specific issues of detail. People like that are a dime a dozen!
Also that 10 million dollar in income might be only apart of the
bussien income which they must report. I have to take than taxis home from the emergry room of the hositial at 1 AM afew time medicare paid for it which mean the taxis company bill Social Security which paid by chech. When I worked for the IRS in the 1970's we estimable 80 % to 90 % of the taxis fare are pay in cash and less than 20 % of that cash is ever reported as income . Which is why the Mafic like to own taxis companies indirectly.
Old December 5, 2003, 05:31   #38
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

He's screwing with me, isn't he? Please, somebody tell me he's screwing with me!

This guy can't be for real. You try to have a debate and he waffles off on a tangent about some spurious irrelevant rubbish.

Oh well, can't say he's the first person like that I've ever encountered...lolol
Old December 5, 2003, 06:00   #39
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Sun Metro the public own Bus Company want to buy new buses every 3 year. There are dumb people in El Paso who are up in arm about this as they say I can keep than car for 9 year than why cann't the city keep it buses for 9 year.

The answer is very simple how many car owned drive they car 18 to 20 hour aday 7 days aweek, rain, sunshine, snow and in steep hill an mountous ares. This add up to alot of wear and tear on buses. The only car owner who come close are traveling saleman an they buy new car every year or every 2 year because of wear and tear. Taxis company have the same problen wear and tear. I never hear of than big city
taxis companies going out of bussien. In El Paso most car owner use they car 4 to 5 hour aday at most. There is no mad rush hour traffic like on long island NY where there can be traffic back up than 100 miles because of than car cash on the Express Way.
Old December 5, 2003, 06:15   #40
CharlesBHoff
Prince

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Thriller
He's screwing with me, isn't he? Please, somebody tell me he's screwing with me!

This guy can't be for real. You try to have a debate and he waffles off on a tangent about some spurious irrelevant rubbish.

Oh well, can't say he's the first person like that I've ever encountered...lolol [/QUOTE

Big Corporation rotine report loss to the government and rotine report profit to the shareholder. They use 2 differen accounting method to do this.

During WW II the Roman Church got cirr from the America military because the Church didnot smoke tocace they turn then over to the Mafic control black market an they agree to slip the money 50-50. After the War the slip was 80-20 with the Mafic getting 20 % and they where happy. It was 100 % clean money from the Church bank worth to the Mafic 100 time it value of 200 million dollar. Each bussien
and orgination have they own way of looking at it they loss
or gain money. To the Mafric clean money is worth more than drity money any time.
Old December 5, 2003, 08:59   #41
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Mr. Hoff: You seem to know a lot about the mafia....

Notice I said MR. HOFF

Whack Thriller, not me, I didn't say anything bad, I swear!
Old December 5, 2003, 20:44   #42
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
First rule to make money as than French Company stay in French and knick America ass.
Ah, yeah, sure.

Vivendi Universal
France Telecom
Alstom
Danone
Michelin
Pechiney

Impressive.

Not using their Commercial trait very well, I guess.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old December 5, 2003, 21:16   #43
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

@ Theseus. Maybe Religous and Agriculural for the French?

Impressive that you could pull all those French companies together. I'm underwhelmed...
Old December 6, 2003, 14:05   #44
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

I actually run a task force for my firm in working with European companies with a large US presence, so I track things like this.

To their credit, French banks are doing extremely well, so maybe that is where there trait kicks in!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old December 7, 2003, 04:13   #45
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
Mr. Hoff: You seem to know a lot about the mafia....

Notice I said MR. HOFF

Whack Thriller, not me, I didn't say anything bad, I swear!
I live right next door to the local Godfather, and have uncled in Mafic leadership as well as Uncled in law enforcement.
Durning WWII money tranaction and tranfer where tightly contro( some control before WWII and tight control untril 1980) to turn one billion dollar of dirtry money into clean money with 1 to 2 % of being detect as dirtry money cost the
mafic 99 % of the total money involved. Most of the money went to bride government official's, bank official's to either sign the needed forms or look the other way. So the Godfather didnot see the Pope cheating the him out of 300 million dollar of dirtry money but as the Pope giveing him 200 million dollar in 100 % clean untraceable money plus than Papal Cheching account. He kiss the Pope ring many time than enter the Sistine Chapel to say 10,000 Hail Mary.
Old December 7, 2003, 05:02   #46
Vince278
King

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 7, 2003, 11:57   #47
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff

I live right next door to the local Godfather, and have uncled in Mafic leadership as well as Uncled in law enforcement.
That's charles b HOFFA. uh oh.

Your "neighbor" right? Are you in the witness protection plan? I want the scoop.... people have been looking for you under Giants stadium for some time now.
Old December 7, 2003, 12:26   #48
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:59
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
They were probably just dumbasses.
Bingo.

Look at last year's figures. They made less than 1m net on 109m or something sales? That's less than 1%, which means they are doing worse than supermarkets. I don't know if I should or
Old December 7, 2003, 20:25   #49
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:

They were probably just dumbasses. I have yet to meet and verify someone who geniunely boycotted the French and kept it up. There might be Wiglaf or Fez, but they can't be verified as they are only online personalities.

In fact, if they were, thumbs down. Have they no sense of loyalty and pride to their country?

The name change was probably more attributible to "Hey look we own this brand name that made a few really cool things then went down the shithole, why don't we use it" plus a severe lack of mental function...

Also note, "Infogrames" is IMO a hell of a much cooler name than "Atari".
What the heck are you talking about? Americans couldn't care less about France and anyone could live without doing business with French companies.

Now a French company trying to survive without selling stuff to Americans is a tad bit more difficult.

They changed to Atari from Infrogrames because they had already run their own name into the ground.
Old December 7, 2003, 20:43   #50
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller

Oh well, can't say he's the first person like that I've ever encountered...lolol
Unfortunately, he's not screwing with you. He genuinely is a completely incomprehensible moron. He was also the first person to recieve the honor of being on my ignore list (the second was MOBIUS)
Old December 7, 2003, 23:38   #51
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? Americans couldn't care less about France and anyone could live without doing business with French companies.
You get today's reward for repeating the post you quoted. That's exactly what I said--they didn't care. I didn't even know Infogreed was French until they become Atarpit.
Old December 8, 2003, 06:00   #52
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

That's charles b HOFFA. uh oh.

Your "neighbor" right? Are you in the witness protection plan? I want the scoop.... people have been looking for you under Giants stadium for some time now.
I than not in the witness protection program. The cost which the mod have to paid to tranform dirtly money to clean money was well know to the authority as they where the one getting paid off. Now day it pettry hard to have the control over money they have in the past when the big corporation have to wait afew month to sent large sum of money fron one country to another. It is easy to struggle money from Italy to Switzerland but getting than bank to accept it is another matter without then asking alots of question. Try walking into than Swiss Bank with than few billion dollar in small bills and they donot know you. Swiss have bank secretly law but bank are require to ask question about questionable depot of large sum of money.

Swiss have arule that the old current of some nation that where change over to the Euro have to change it to dollar paying than 25% of amount of money fee and another 25% of amount of money to change dollar to Euro or you have to withdrawn the money and struggle it back to your country to change it when the change over took place. Alot
of tax cheap where caught struggleing the money back in.
The real criminal paid the fee both way to change the old currently to Euro. The Swiss Banks look as it as than tax on
criminal. There are some other place that charge than tax
on money kept in their bank with bank secretly law of 1 to 2 % on all despot of money.
Old December 8, 2003, 06:10   #53
CharlesBHoff
Prince

The Euro is here to stay as it make bussiens in those nation happy as they donot have to worry about the current exchange rate on they balance sheet. Like than Germany Company that have stores in Italy, and French doesnot have to worry about exchange rate which can play havos with finical statement. One time in America Bank where allow to issue they own Bank Notes which every confuseing to people
that they have than book which came out every year listing all good banknotes, bad banknotes, and the discount to apply on both good and bad banknotes, plus it list all confect banknotes. People where time of happy when the Federal Reservive Bank System was form.
Old December 8, 2003, 17:59   #54
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:

You get today's reward for repeating the post you quoted. That's exactly what I said--they didn't care. I didn't even know Infogreed was French until they become Atarpit.
I disagreed with your post. You claimed you have yet to find many who have been able to boyott French products and keep it up, insinuating that its virtually impossible to live without French products.

Unless your post was sarcasm, in which case I missed the sarcastic tone.
Old December 8, 2003, 18:12   #55
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
I disagreed with your post. You claimed you have yet to find many who have been able to boyott French products and keep it up, insinuating that its virtually impossible to live without French products.
I meant their attention span or seriousness was too small to keep up the list of French products and how to avoid them. Not that it was impossible to get by without lovely French inventions like...uh...damn.
Old December 8, 2003, 23:42   #56
Aqualung71
Emperor

Skywalker.....having read his latest few posts, I would have to agree with you - he is a moron and stark raving mad to boot.

Shogun - gee, you know who your friends are here! We've never even met and you're telling our mafia friend CharlesBHoff aka Jimmy Hoffa to whack me!!! Oh well, wait till I meet you in multiplay! (if I ever work out how to use AND have the time to commit without having to pull out half way through!)
Old December 9, 2003, 00:32   #57
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Thriller Its all good, my brotha...
Old December 9, 2003, 06:02   #58
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 06:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I actually run a task force for my firm in working with European companies with a large US presence, so I track things like this.

To their credit, French banks are doing extremely well, so maybe that is where there trait kicks in!
What's your take on the looming French bank scandal in California?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 9, 2003, 11:48   #59
Theseus
Emperor

No way a deal happens without Pinault being protected... he has a MPP with Chirac!!

Old December 9, 2003, 11:56   #60
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Not that it was impossible to get by without lovely French inventions like...uh...damn.
My bad, I misunderstood your post, I agree with you.