Old November 7, 2003, 14:28   #1
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Local Time: 13:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A funny problem with an overeager ally
I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this problem, and in fact, I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it at all. It's not that unusual of a situation I suppose, well in fact I've had it before, but never quite this acutely.

I'm playing the Drones, transcend, large map. Build huge 1-1-1 exploration army, find Hive, bully for laser technology, shunt whole army to Hive territory, upgrade to 2-1-1's, try to get Hive to declare war without success, then just sneak-attack to take an undefended city, kill many Hive scouts, formers, and CP's, Hive shocked and awed, becomes a vassal. (...then soon afterwards I vassalize the Morganites and a custom Morgan-like faction I've added to the list, but that's irrelevant here except to say... DANG, the Drones are a strong faction.)

30 turns or so later, the Hive has gotten a bit... overeager in its desire to lend a helping hand. For some reason, they've sent a terraformer really deep into my territory, and they're chopping down my forest to build farm/solars! Of course I can just replace it again, but it's kind of annoying. I've acquired every Hive base through bullying and "ALL your techs" trades, so wiping him off the face of Planet wouldn't be a problem, though I'd rather focus on wonders and my economy for a few more decades. Also, the pact income he sends me is really nifty. If anything, actually, I may have to go to war sooner than I'd like (since I'm now in FM and my border with the Caretakers is full of undefended bases and is teeming with Caretaker units), since I'm a bit worried poor Yang will be overrun by the Caretakers, whom I don't yet dare to ask to stop trampling through my territory to massacre him. (My only hope is that I can get them up on the commlinks and ask them to call a truce with Yang during my "one request.")

But anyway... any keen ideas on how to get rid of this @#$@ terraformer? If he starts re-terraforming boreholes (my first ones in its area will be built soon), it won't be so funny anymore. I did just have a crazy idea right now -- shortly switch to Planned and use the +1 PLANET from the Manifold Nexus to capture some worms, then disband them next to the terraformer -- but maybe someone else can come up with a better idea?

USC
Old November 7, 2003, 14:36   #2
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
Just destroy it. It sounds like Hive is nothing to be afraid of.
Old November 7, 2003, 15:17   #3
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Quote:
Also, the pact income he sends me is really nifty.
Old November 7, 2003, 16:55   #4
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 12:04
I like the unleashed worms trick to get rid of it. Just build the worms instead of trying to capture them though, much easier that way.
Old November 7, 2003, 18:35   #5
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 05:04
Re: A funny problem with an overeager ally
Quote:
Originally posted by UnityScoutChopper

But anyway... any keen ideas on how to get rid of this @#$@ terraformer?
USC
You should be able to subvert it with a probe. Also, what would happen if you demanded that Yang remove all units from your territory? A former's not a military unit, but it might work anyway. In my experience, submissive pactmates (which Yang is, right?) always comply with this demand.
Old November 7, 2003, 18:44   #6
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Nice ideas! (And nice point about the worms.) I'm not sure I can steal a pactmate's units without losing the pact -- I think I'll pick the demand-withdrawal trick, since it doesn't involve building and disbanding a unit (or switching SE choices).

USC
Old November 7, 2003, 20:54   #7
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 05:04
I tested the "probe pactmate" possibility in a game that I had saved. Doesn't work. You can't subvert a pactmate's units. The option isn't even present.