Old November 7, 2003, 16:00   #1
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 07:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hannibal gives me the willies
I think it's been mentioned before, but I just got Conquests and never bought PTW. I just can't look at Hannibal in the civ selection screen - he creeps me out! It looks like he's flirting!!!!
and in the darkness bind them.
Old November 7, 2003, 16:27   #2
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 13:04
Just you wait until you see him in the Industrial and Modern Ages...
Old November 7, 2003, 16:50   #3
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
Re: Hannibal gives me the willies
Quote:
Originally posted by justjake73
It looks like he's flirting!!!!
Well, what do you expect him to do? He finds you attractive.
Old November 7, 2003, 16:57   #4
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Look better at Genghis Khan. He looks like an idiot.
Old November 7, 2003, 17:27   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Especially in the Modern Age... look at the last DAR thread for AU 210.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 7, 2003, 17:27   #6
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 05:04
Not so much Hannibal - it’s Joan that ends up giving me a start: “Great Caesar’s Ghost! Woman what did you do to your head?!”
Old November 7, 2003, 18:06   #7
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 06:04
Once Hannibal said to me "Despite propaganda spread by my enemies, I am NOT a cannible. Come closer."
Old November 7, 2003, 18:07   #8
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Especially in the Modern Age... look at the last DAR thread for AU 210.
Theseus is right. Nothing beats this picture:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	temujin.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	56843  
Old November 7, 2003, 19:13   #9
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:04
I don't like Alexander, he looks like he's drunk and hitting on me. Caesar looks like he's ready to pass out.
Old November 8, 2003, 09:09   #10
Panther_ca
Settler

Local Time: 12:04
Well, at least the hoplites have sexy legs!
Old November 8, 2003, 11:51   #11
Plotinus
Prince

[Panther_ca] Ha, I noticed that too!

I have to say I was always disappointed with how Alexander looks, since Alexander the Great is normally depicted as very young (obviously) with blond curly hair and a headband with a pair of rams' horns in it. That's how they showed him in Civilization I... ah well...

Am I the only person to have a minor crush on Jeanne d'Arc? Or have I just been playing this damn thing far too much?
Old November 8, 2003, 12:19   #12
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Even playing a tremendous amount of Civ would not explain an attraction to Joannie... you need serious psychiatric help.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 9, 2003, 11:20   #13
Plotinus
Prince

No-one else, eh? That means I have her all to myself. Eeeexcellent!
Old November 10, 2003, 21:36   #14
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

My vote is for Theodora of the Byzantines. She's a hottie.

Today I gave her an extra luxury, but alas, no Right of Passage agreement - if you catch my drift...
Old November 11, 2003, 03:07   #15
bvoncranium
Warlord

Local Time: 07:04
I don't even use my diplomacy screen once Catherine The Great starts smiling at me
Old November 11, 2003, 12:19   #16
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by bvoncranium
I don't even use my diplomacy screen once Catherine The Great starts smiling at me
That's pretty bad. I would rather have Ivan the Terrible smile at me!

At the very least Firaxis could have put Cathy on the Adkins diet. If she won't do it for herself, she should do it for show business!
Old November 12, 2003, 06:21   #17
Plotinus
Prince

Shogun Gunner, you may be interested to know that Theodora was, in real life, not only a Monophysite but an actress and high-class prostitute. The future Emperor Justinian had to have a special law passed by his uncle, Emperor Justin, allowing him to marry her, since Roman Emperors had previously only been allowed to marry nobles.

Perhaps you just need to raise the price a little...
Old November 12, 2003, 07:17   #18
grappleman
Chieftain

wow justinian seemed to be a man of class a new law eh? thats funny, very classy justinian, very classy....
Old November 12, 2003, 09:31   #19
Plotinus
Prince

Justinian was classy through and through - the last of the great Roman Emperors, a military colossus who reconquered pretty much the whole of the old Empire, the man who essentially wrote Western law for the rest of history (when people talk about "Roman law" they mean the Code of Justinian), and a surprisingly good theologian to boot - even if he did call the Second Council of Constantinople in 553 and destroy the writings of Origen, the greatest Christian writer of all time. He also lapsed into the Aphthartodocetic heresy towards the end of his life, and in my opinion anyone who can even pronounce that, let alone believe it, is clearly someone to be reckoned with (especially as Justinian was actually a Slav and always spoke Greek with an accent). Justinian was the obvious choice for the Byzantines' leader in CivIII, too, but I think it's rather nice they went for his wife instead, who was also very important. They were kind of the Posh and Becks of the early Byzantine Empire, with added armies.

I'll shut up now... ;-)
Old November 12, 2003, 09:56   #20
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus
Shogun Gunner, you may be interested to know that Theodora was, in real life, not only a Monophysite but an actress and high-class prostitute. The future Emperor Justinian had to have a special law passed by his uncle, Emperor Justin, allowing him to marry her, since Roman Emperors had previously only been allowed to marry nobles.

Perhaps you just need to raise the price a little...
Hmmm... A "Christian Prostitute" I must say Plotinus, either you are a throwback or a great student of history. I had to look up "monophysite" on google.

Next time I'll offer her ivory and gems!
Old November 12, 2003, 11:21   #21
Plotinus
Prince

lol, yes, Christianity was much more interesting in those days, it seems...

Can't I be a throwback *and* a great historian? ;-)
Old November 13, 2003, 02:14   #22
Vince278
King

There sure are alot of ugly people in the portraits. I'm sure Attila looked better than that.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old November 13, 2003, 02:37   #23
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

... portraits are just that, fake computer portraits. im sure most of these CG models don't have much mass below what you see on screen.
Old November 17, 2003, 19:17   #24
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 06:04
I still think that Cleo, with her Ptolemic good looks takes the cake. But, when PTW came out, Isabela gave her a good run. And now we have Theodora.

There's 3 countries that I'll now just occationally have to give techs to. That's so unfair!
Old November 18, 2003, 00:10   #25
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
I still think that Cleo, with her Ptolemic good looks takes the cake.
Oddly enough, by all accounts and depictions, the real Cleopatra was not an attractive woman by modern standards. She had a round, chubby face, a hooked nose and overly-large eyes. She looked more like the lead actress from My Big Fat Greek Wedding than a she did a young Elizabeth Taylor.

I wa so annoyed by the Alexander graphic that I swapped his and Caesar's. What they were thinking when they did Alexander's leader head, I don't know. He looks Anglo-Saxon, not Greek/Macedonian. He also looks like a dandy, something he certainly wasn't.

Joan of Arc's graphic bothers me in that it is Joan of Arc rather than an actual French leader. That they wouldn't choose Napoleon, who is iconic of French leaders, is off-putting. Even if it was due to PC and wanting another female leader, they could have at least chosen Catherine de Medici, a woman who held real authority over France.

While we're griping, let's talk about Gandhi. Can we say, "we haven't bothered to look beyond cultural stereotypes to find other leaders, so we picked Gandhi!" I mean, having him as the civ leader is wrong because 1) He never was an actual Indian head of state, and 2) He would never be waging war and acting like the game Gandhi behaves. Now, this is being picky, except there are several other choices more suitable. How about Indira Gandhi, a female? Or Chandragupta, a great emperor?

Anyway, that's enough for now...
Old November 18, 2003, 00:15   #26
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus
The future Emperor Justinian had to have a special law passed by his uncle, Emperor Justin, allowing him to marry her, since Roman Emperors had previously only been allowed to marry nobles.
This isn't quite true--Roman Emperors could marry whomever they pleased, once they were actually Emperor. Heliogabalus married a chariot driver. So it wasn't just a marriage of uneven rank, it was a homosexual marriage of uneven rank.

Sure, sure--the army eventually killed Heliogabalus, but that was because his mother was a controlling ***** whom everyone hated, and because the Emperor had spent so much money on lavish parties that he was unable to pay them...
Old November 18, 2003, 09:08   #27
Plotinus
Prince

[Boris] Apologies - my memory's a little rusty after 14 and a half centuries, you know. Of course Justinian wasn't yet emperor when he married, although he was pretty much acting like it, I recall.

I agree with the inaccuracy of Alexander, and the slightly odd choice of Gandhi - I suppose they wanted someone everyone had heard of. But I've always found it odd having Gandhi turn up and demand things with menaces before declaring war on me. The French leader in the original Civ was indeed Napoleon. They also had Stalin leading the Russians, who was much more fun to deal with than Catherine - although I suspect they've removed him on grounds of questionable taste. But they've kept Mao, of course, who (unverified historical assertion alert) had more people killed than Hitler and Stalin put together.
Old November 19, 2003, 02:16   #28
Feldspar
Settler

Local Time: 04:04
the five turn plan
The Mao AI should never irrigate - mine everything!
Old November 19, 2003, 03:12   #29
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
The Mao AI should never irrigate - mine everything!
Ha! ALL the AI would do much better if they almost did that.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 19, 2003, 14:20   #30
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

While acknowledging historically there could be leaders that make far more sense for India, and can see how it aggravates those who would like to see more historical accuracy, I am amused that Ghandi is in the game as one of the toughest trade negotiators and prone to the sneak attack. It adds a certain amount of off balanced levity, much like the goofy comments the various leaders give during various diplomacy situations.