View Poll Results: What do you think of ze plan?
I think it's a brilliant plan. Aim for Spies, then Artillery. 5 50.00%
I think we should aim for Artillery first. 1 10.00%
I think we should aim for Flight first. 0 0%
I have another idea and posted it below. 0 0%
I missed the point of this thread and want to argue about whether science should be at 0% 3 30.00%
I'm apathetic, and didn't read the whole post before voting for this curvy yellow fruit. 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9, 2003, 15:06   #1
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 07:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Science 1842
NOTE: This thread is not a thread to in which to debate whether we do research at all; rather, it's to debate what research we do, if we do do research.

Quote:
Originally posted by an extremely wise man
So our real choices are:

Communism (1 tech away)
Espionage (2 techs away)
Flight (4 techs away)
Machine Tools (3 techs away)
Mobile Warfare (7 techs away )

Luckily, all of these have Industrialization as a prerequisite... which we are now researching.

Communism is a direct prerequisite to Espionage.

Flight requires Corporation (useless tech) Refining (pretty useless) and Combustion (useless tech).

Machine Tools requires Electricity and Steel, both useless unless we want to build a battle fleet out of Vetkovia

Mobile Warfare requires Corporation, Refining, and Combustion (like Flight) as well as Electricity, Steel and Automobile (much like Machine Tools). It will also take, obviously, a long time to research, and we could easily be forced to deviate from the tech path (techs not being offered to research) or distracted by other options (Machine Tools and/or Flight). MW therefore to me, seems a poor goal, as some other equally useful techs are available sooner.

Therefore, I recommend Communism be our next choice, followed by Espionage. Communism gives us options, and Espionage will be useful soonest (since we have Diplos which will auto-upgrade).

If we really want to get Machine Tools (or Flight, which I would consider useful only for scouting hidden AI cities - and we'd have to build Fighters from scratch), it would probably be faster to get Communism and then switch governments, which would speed our science rate, than to try and research the 3 (or 4) extra techs in Fundy.

If Communism is unavailable for research, either Steel or Electricity would be recommended, on the path to Machine Tools (our SMC has indicated a desire for big machines that go 'boom').
I see no reason to change this advice. We have just learned Industrialization, and a new tech hasn't been selected for research yet.

Communism and Espionage are 2 techs away. I recommend we aim at Espionage first.

If Communism isn't offered, I recommend we choose whatever techs are available leading towards Machine Tools.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old November 9, 2003, 15:52   #2
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 14:10
I looked over the save and we can capture the German core this month easy, and part of the Greek empire.

I'm not fully convinced we need this extra tech to win this asap.
Old November 9, 2003, 16:14   #3
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 13:10
Artillery is by far more efficient than canon or cavalry.

I voted for that, but with the pace things are going on these days the question is whether our enemies are going to be around when we commission our first crack arty troops.
Old November 9, 2003, 21:46   #4
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I think we should keep science at 0% and try to finish off the AI this month.

If we can keep up the pressure building railroads, than we may be able to do this.

Otherwise, we will have another term and likely finish up for Christmas.

Edit:

Post 20K in this Forum.
Old November 10, 2003, 09:02   #5
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

go for the spies

and forget the illusion of 0% science...Finance our inventors so they can create newer and more cruell tools to obliterate our enemies.

Shade
Old November 10, 2003, 12:45   #6
cavebear
Emperor

I agree with Shade - Let's get those Spies. It would be good to see true professionals at work on the enemy cities!

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old November 10, 2003, 14:00   #7
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I like the idea of Spies first and then Machine Tools afterwards, whether or not we get a chance to use either our spies or our Artillery remains to be seen, but I would like for us to have the option.

/me City Planner

p.s. If we decide to keep Science at 0 (and I hope not obviously) what is the thinking on keeping our Libraries and University? I don't like the idea of selling either, but if we never intend to increase the Science rate perhaps we shouldn't continue to pay maintenance? (though we may soon have Adam Smith, and will only then be paying maintenance on 1 University)
Old November 10, 2003, 15:31   #8
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

No, Adam Smith will pay for our previous prodigality. Do note, that if we research, that puts serious constraints on my spending from 2k gold to .8k gold each turn.
Old November 10, 2003, 19:18   #9
cavebear
Emperor

It seems clear to me that we should either use our existing science infrastructure or sell it for the gold. One or the other must be the strategy If we will live and die with Cavalry/Cannon/Diplomats, fine. If we want to be prepared for future tech developments by some AI, then we we need the abiltity to reserch.

Let us have a poll on this matter *after* the next session. It will be time for a definitive decision on this matter then.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old November 10, 2003, 20:25   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well, since everyone seems keen on Spies, why not? Whether there will be much for them to do by then or not is a different matter... after that, if there are still some tough nuts, let's get Machine Tools and Arty the AI to pieces.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 11, 2003, 00:12   #11
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 14:10
The Greeks are currently researching communism.
Why not steal it from them? They are in Demo so it wont take long before they get it.
(Btw, this will also have a major effect on their military capabilities )
Old November 11, 2003, 13:32   #12
cavebear
Emperor

Excellent! I hope they discover Communism very quickly.

Old November 12, 2003, 08:48   #13
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I'd just like to say that I think science should be at 0% for the rest of the gam..... (hey! get off me - bloody hired goons )

I don't care what we research as I don't see the point. If you desperately need a vote then Espionage - our cannons are doing fine and the cavalry will wipe the smiles off the German faces soon enough.