B1: Bribe smaller city's the round we take Berlin 5 20.83%
B2: Dont bribe German city's, we'll take them by force 3 12.50%
C1: Take down the city walls with diplomats. 6 25.00%
C2: Just build more cannons/cavalry for attacks 2 8.33%
The great banana has told us to live in peace with our German friends. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9, 2003, 15:26   #1
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 14:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
1842 MoW: German front, the road to Berlin.
We have made good progress on the German front, we are now only 2 city's away of taking out the German capital.

I propose the following plan for effectively taking out the German warmachine:

We take 1-2 turns to get a massive amount of attackers and take out Hamburg and Berlin on the same turn, loosing their cap with Col/GL and Sheakes and Hammburg with Bach should tone them down a bit

We only need 6 engineers to build the 2 needed railroads but I would suggest we take about 10-15 to make any further RR or instant ofrts if needed.

On the turn we take their cap they wont have a palace so bribing will be a lot cheaper. I would like to bribe Cunaxa and any possible small city's NW of Hamburg on that turn.
(As we dont know yet what lies ahead and our money situation it seems wise to leave this up to the discretion of the President )
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1842germans.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	56975  
Old November 9, 2003, 16:45   #2
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 13:11
If we follow this great plan, Germany is going to be history very soon.

Yes, concentrate our forces on Germany, forget the Greeks for now.
Old November 9, 2003, 19:18   #3
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
All bribery should wait until we capture Berlin. That small city costs more than 2k gold, which I suspect we can put to better use building up our military forces.

We won't be needing insta-forts, if we can build a railroad right up to their city on the same turn and give them the classic Imperium initiation greeting.

What we will be needing are diplomats to take out the city walls of Hamburg, given that the city is on a river. So we need to take this into consideration before launching an attack. It will likely take - 8 or 9 diplomats to knock down the wall, given the number of improvements in Hamburg.
Old November 9, 2003, 19:25   #4
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Hamburg is not on a rivertile, just surrounded by rivers.

The extra engineers are ment for instaforts on the other side of Berlin once we capture it as to make sure there is no counterattack or bribing. Or if we have enough units left we can attack even further on the same turn.
Old November 10, 2003, 01:55   #5
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Re: 1842 MoW: German front, the road to Berlin.
Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
We take 1-2 turns to get a massive amount of attackers and take out Hamburg and Berlin on the same turn, loosing their cap with Col/GL and Sheakes and Hammburg with Bach should tone them down a bit

On the turn we take their cap they wont have a palace so bribing will be a lot cheaper.
:hmm: I am not certain this is right. I beleive that at the same time as we take their capital, they will move their capital to a new city (no delay in building the new palace...the miracle of AI ). As a result there will be no instant reduction in the cost of bribing cities, as they may be building a few palaces with 9000+ Gold.
Old November 10, 2003, 03:02   #6
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Well then, we should send them the invitation to the party they will be hosting. We should ask for refreshments, and we'll supply the entertainment. No need to wait for the diplomats.

Sparrowhawk, you are right.

Still, they can only relocate a finite number of times, and once we get rolling it won't matter how quickly they move.
Old November 10, 2003, 15:16   #7
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Off topic....
Reading this thread has put two songs in my head and not sure how quickly I will forget them

Anyone else know who Leonard Cohen is? He has a great song where one of the main lines is "First we take Manhatten, then we take Berlin" and considering we took New York a few turns back and are now working on Berlin, it seems appropriate.

The other song I am reminded of is from atawa's banana line in the poll "The great banana has told us to live in peace with our German friends" which reminds me of a Bob Dylan song (you may not know Leonard Cohen but I am hoping you know Dylan) titled "With God on our Side" in which Dylan gives an American History of war and says "we forgave the Germans, now they're our friends". It is among my favourite Dylan songs, and this poll brought it to mind. Thanks for that atawa.

/on topic
I favour attacking the Germans capital of Berlin, and when it moves, attacking the new capital of ______ and when it moves attacking the new capital of ______ (until there is no longer a capital), and then moving to bribe or attack all remaining German cities, by that point their funds (and their morale ) will be reduced enough that we can assimilate the remainder with whatever means necessary.

/me City Planner (and music fan )
Old November 10, 2003, 15:24   #8
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Leonard Cohen!

You can't be that much older than I.

I like him, and my dad likes him though I don't have a cd by him.
Old November 10, 2003, 19:07   #9
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

When a scorpion attacks a spider, it first removes the threats to itself from the spider. Take the Germans from the outside in (and if their Capital is there in the process fine), but just take them apart from the outside-inwards.

Pretend we are enjoying eating a pizza from the outside hard parts to the best inside parts and we will take the germans in that way! The best tasting will be at the center.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old November 10, 2003, 19:34   #10
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

/me thinks Cavebear eats pizza different then most people! (as I suspect most eat pizza in pieces, starting each piece with the centre, working towards the outside and continuing on with the next piece)

Regardless, is this proverbial pizza going to have Ham(burg), Salsa(burg) or some other toppings?

What kind of pizza do scorpions eat though?
Old November 10, 2003, 20:33   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Re: Re: 1842 MoW: German front, the road to Berlin.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
I beleive that at the same time as we take their capital, they will move their capital to a new city
I thought, from the FIRST Civ2DG, that this only happens when the AI has 1000 gold in it's treasury. Does Germany have this?

Moreover, what is the timing of this plan relative to the attacks on the Greeks? I think we should handle the Germans first so we can then turn our attention more fully to the more difficult Greece, so 1-2 turns sounds fine, as long as we are not spreading ourselves too thin with multiple major offensives simultaneously.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 10, 2003, 20:35   #12
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

The Germans not only have 1000 gold, they have 8309 gold in the treasury at this point. While this would worry me usually, I think they will be "donating" a significant portion of it to our coffers very soon, so I am not concerned about the amount, just the number of times they will be able to move their capital. Is there a max does anyone know?
Old November 10, 2003, 21:28   #13
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
* Sparrowhawk thinks Cavebear eats pizza different then most people! (as I suspect most eat pizza in pieces, starting each piece with the centre, working towards the outside and continuing on with the next piece)

Regardless, is this proverbial pizza going to have Ham(burg), Salsa(burg) or some other toppings?
Law of Sensory Experience: When you are hungriest, anything tastes good. As you eat, the tstes sensation becomes slightly jaded. Therefore, maintain maximum enjoyment by eating the lesser sensory parts first and the best ones last.

There's a reason you eat dessert *after* the salad. LOL!

So let us take the edges of empires first and take the sweet cores as they collapse!

Quote:
What kind of pizza do scorpions eat though?
Spider (live) and double crickets, extra innards, and no anchovies.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old November 10, 2003, 23:57   #14
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Sparrowhawk:

My great war in the underdark actually pertains to your question.

I had one empire with roughly 10K gold, one of three massive empires finally starting to crumble when I took their capital for the first time. They switched 5 times, after each time I successively captured the capital only stopping when they had 1200 gold. After they failed to build a capital, I quickly bribed their remaining 5 cities.
Old November 11, 2003, 00:00   #15
atawa
King

Does anyone know the calculation on how much money we get for taking Berlin and or Hamburg?

This info would be very helpfull in further tactical planning