Old November 10, 2003, 04:11   #1
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
cat study
anyone remember the study that said that there was some sort of bacteria or parasite in cats that affected human breains"?

does this mean that cats are the true rulers of earth?

or is it all just a lie byu the anti cat lobby

maybe it is made to look false so that we think it is false so that we don't guess the truth that cats are really in charge

:hmm:

Jon Miller
Old November 10, 2003, 04:18   #2
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 08:13
As the husband of a spouse proudly owned by our cat, I have only one response.

Meow.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old November 10, 2003, 04:29   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:13
truly! Being a "steward" of 6 cats myself, I guess my option would be constued as being rather jaded to say the least!
Old November 10, 2003, 04:35   #4
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:13
can someone link to the study

Jon Miller
Old November 10, 2003, 04:51   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 12:13
http://www.associationsofmoslemscien...61/ju19-15.htm
Old November 10, 2003, 04:58   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Now that I think about it, I do remember a study a few years back that mentioned that people who were HIV should avoid cleaning/touching a cat's litter box because of some sort of bacterial infection from it. Mind you, I'm not HIV+, but a friend of mine is...and I have since turned him on to the joys cat ownership (or stewardship, if you prefer)...and after 6 years of blissfull co-habitation with his "pride," there have been no strange diseases cropping up....

Well, That's the only study/report/rumor I know of concerning cats and bacteria and/or parasites.

Maybe someone else has some actual concrete proof...

EDIT: Comrade, you posted a link while I was typing my reply....but your link is broken.
Old November 10, 2003, 05:03   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
EDIT: Comrade, you posted a link while I was typing my reply....but your link is broken.
You'll have to take it up with the webmaster of the Assocation of Moslem Scientists

(The link is fake. You clicked! )
Old November 10, 2003, 05:06   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Comrade, you do realize that you are just asking to be beaten about the head and shoulders?!
Old November 10, 2003, 05:10   #9
Nubclear

Old November 10, 2003, 05:46   #10
Mr. Harley
Prince

Actually, the organism is toxoplasmosis, it's a parasitic protozoan (which probably means there is no easy cure), and it causes really bizarre beharvior in mice. Some become attracted to cat urine once infected, which is not a very good survival strategy for a mouse. It's obvious why the cat benefits, mice that are infected are often easier prey
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old November 10, 2003, 06:00   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Ok, I can accept your theory Shawn, but what effects would it have on humans? And don't tell me that they would have an urge to roll aound in a "used" litter box!
Old November 10, 2003, 06:11   #12
Mr. Harley
Prince

I think that's the study Jon was asking about. I caught a partial blurb on it affecting humans, increasing possibly risky behavior. I'll have to look it up on my days off. There is a possible link between a woman becoming infected during pregnancy and an increased risk of schitzophrenia in the child. I know because I got to do the litter last year when my wife was pregnant. Not quite rolling around in the litter box, but as a non-cat person, it comes awwwfffullly close.
Old November 10, 2003, 06:47   #13
Mr. Harley
Prince

Found some!

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=117239
Quote:
Conclusion: The subjects with latent toxoplasmosis have significantly increased risk of traffic accidents than the noninfected subjects. Relative risk of traffic accidents decreases with the duration of infection. These results suggest that 'asymptomatic' acquired toxoplasmosis might in fact represent a serious and highly underestimated public health problem, as well as an economic problem.

http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/001675.html#001675
Quote:
He found the women infected with toxoplasma spent more money on clothes and were consistently rated as more attractive. “We found they were more easy-going, more warm-hearted, had more friends and cared more about how they looked,” he said. “However, they were also less trustworthy and had more relationships with men.”

By contrast, the infected men appeared to suffer from the “alley cat” effect: becoming less well groomed undesirable loners who were more willing to fight. They were more likely to be suspicious and jealous. “They tended to dislike following rules,” Flegr said.

Here's an interesting question. Are the kind of women who will put up with a cat naturally more willing to put up with male BS, and thus more attractive. Just a thought. Maybe guys who like cats are more likely to be jerks? At least I'm safe. Or maybe it could be guys who like girls who like cats...
Old November 10, 2003, 07:05   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

there are too many cat threads on Poly.

We need to institute bans for anyone who creates them.

more dog threads
Old November 10, 2003, 07:11   #15
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Conclusion: The subjects with latent toxoplasmosis have significantly increased risk of traffic accidents than the noninfected subjects. Relative risk of traffic accidents decreases with the duration of infection. These results suggest that 'asymptomatic' acquired toxoplasmosis might in fact represent a serious and highly underestimated public health problem, as well as an economic problem.
so reckless driving should be blamed on Toxoplasmosis?! I wonder why I haven't seen this pea lately in the courts....

Quote:
He found the women infected with toxoplasma spent more money on clothes and were consistently rated as more attractive. “We found they were more easy-going, more warm-hearted, had more friends and cared more about how they looked,” he said. “However, they were also less trustworthy and had more relationships with men.”

By contrast, the infected men appeared to suffer from the “alley cat” effect: becoming less well groomed undesirable loners who were more willing to fight. They were more likely to be suspicious and jealous. “They tended to dislike following rules,” Flegr said.
Well, I don't know about how everyone else feels, but this looks a lot like how the world is today....

So I guess the question is this: Are we ALL infected with the toxoplasmosis virus/bug?!?

I am sorry, but I find this quite funny to say the least!
Old November 10, 2003, 07:16   #16
DaShi
Emperor

More llama threads!