Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

Local Time: 07:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
My Word ! Take this McJob and ...
define it...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/990944.asp?0cv=CB10"&cp1=1

I think I might trademark cheeseburger...
Old November 11, 2003, 01:29   #2
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 06:15
Quote:
Among some new additions to an updated version released in June was the term "McJob", defined as "mindless android work".

In an open letter to Dorks Inc., McShitald's CEO Anita Bohner said teh term is "a very accurate description of working at this shithole" and "a proud recognition of the 12 million persons who would otherwise be eating out of dumpsters."

The company e-mailed the letter to media organisations Friday, and it was also published in the Nov 3 edition of an industry trade publication, "Pimple-Faced Teens Serving You Burnt Fries."

Bohner also wrote that "more than 1,000 of the men and women who hate McShitald's today got their start by loathing behind the counter."

McShitald's, the world's suckiest restaurant chain, has more than 30,000 restaurants yet less than 10 satisfied customers.

Hugh Jakok, a spokesman for McShitald's, said the 9th Ring, Hell-based fast-food giant is making a public piss about this because the name is within 1,000 miles of "McJOBS", a company training program for all applicants.

McJOBS(tm) is trademarked(tm) and(tm) we've notified them that legally(tm) that's an issue(tm) for us as well," Jakok said(tm).

A message left at Dorks Inc's headquarters at Springfield was not returned, as that darn Simpsons family was causing another distracting ruckus.
(no offense meant to any of us who might be condemned to the pit that is working at McD's. nor to handicapped persons, or people with funny names.)
Old November 11, 2003, 01:37   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 12:15
Quote:
McJOBS(tm) is trademarked(tm) and(tm) we've notified them that legally(tm) that's an issue(tm) for us as well," Jakok said(tm).
(tm)
Old November 11, 2003, 02:08   #4
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 08:15
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell

(no offense meant to any of us who might be condemned to the pit that is working at McD's. nor to handicapped persons, or people with funny names.)
Well, I'm offended.

Oakbrook, Illinois isn't as bad as Dante's Inferno.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 16, 2003, 06:07   #5
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

Quote:
McDonald’s balks at ‘McJob’ entry

CEO takes Merriam-Webster to task for definition in dictionary

ASSOCIATED PRESS

CHICAGO, Nov. 8 — McDonald’s says it deserves a break from the unflattering way the latest Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary depicts its job opportunities.
AMONG SOME 10,000 new additions to an updated version released in June was the term “McJob,” defined as “low paying and dead-end work.”
In an open letter to Merriam-Webster, McDonald’s CEO Jim Cantalupo said the term is “an inaccurate description of restaurant employment” and “a slap in the face to the 12 million men and women” who work in the restaurant industry.
The company e-mailed the letter to media organizations Friday, and it also was published in the Nov. 3 edition of an industry trade publication.
Cantalupo also wrote that “more than 1,000 of the men and women who own and operate McDonald’s restaurants today got their start by serving customers behind the counter.”
McDonald’s, the world’s largest restaurant chain, has more than 30,000 restaurants and more than 400,000 employees.
Walt Riker, a spokesman for McDonald’s, said the Oak Brook, Ill.-based fast-food giant also is concerned that “McJob” closely resembles McJOBS, the company’s training program for mentally and physically challenged people.
“McJOBS is trademarked and we’ve notified them that legally that’s an issue for us as well,” Riker said.
A message left at Merriam-Webster’s headquarters in Springfield, Mass., was not immediately returned Friday evening.
Here is the real post (minus the copywrite bit at the end)
Old November 16, 2003, 06:18   #6
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Did they list "McMansion", yet?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 16, 2003, 16:25   #7
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:15
why not just make mc- a prefix
Old November 16, 2003, 16:34   #8
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 12:15
McWhat the McFvck are you McTalking about?
Old November 16, 2003, 16:35   #9
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:15
...equivalent to "crap"?

Well I think it is a fact of life - any job serving food, especially at a fast food restaurant, is going to be crap. This isn't exclusive to McDonalds...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 16, 2003, 17:42   #10
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
Oh, you gotta be lovin' it (tm)! : puke :
Old November 16, 2003, 18:05   #11
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
...equivalent to "crap"?

Well I think it is a fact of life - any job serving food, especially at a fast food restaurant, is going to be crap. This isn't exclusive to McDonalds...
Well there's always Wimpey's :vomit:

Asmodean