Old November 12, 2003, 13:01   #1
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 14:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Victoria review!
The first English language Victoria review has been posted!

Graphics: 8 - The graphics are good, but there are opportunities missed in making them a little more indicative.

Sound: 8 - A great soundtrack, otherwise a good assortment of function sounds.

Interface: 9 - Generally outstanding; deep tooltips save a lot of manual-searching. Everything in the info windows is hot-clickable, leading to multiple control layers and a nice combination of utilitarian and esthetically pleasing UI.

Play Issues
Solo Play: 10 - Hail to the Queen! As world-conquest games go, there is no equal.

Replayability: 10 - You can play every state on Earth in the 19th Century. A deep list of events keeps even the same country's play from becoming repetitive.

Multiplay: 9 - The best in the series, but the nature of the game is such that it's hard to find a game speed that is not too slow while things are developing, and too fast when things are happening, despite a clever multiplay pause feature that helps a lot.
Documentation: 6 - Instructions are adequate if skimpy, and the game could definitely use an extensive tutorial.

Learning Curve: 6 - If you've played EU, EU2 or HoI, this would probably be a 9; for anyone else sometimes the nearly-limitless courses of action can be paralyzing.

Other: +0.5 for the period, a game like this is so long overdue.

Pro: Everything, but particularly flexible and powerful diplomatic and tech systems. The novel inclusion of POPS adds a needed dynamic to the domestic aspect of the game.

Con: The richness can seem like complexity, and even for very experienced players there is no "quick" game of Victoria. Make sure you buy your significant other something nice before you install it.

Thew reviewer also mentions that Paradox will make a EU2-->Vickie converter, but no date is set.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 20:45   #2
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 20:21
A big to everything. I hope that converter isn't too far off.
That soundtrack had better include "Rule Britainnia" though.

Now I just have to stop drooling on my keyboard.
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 20:53   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 12:21
I think he's being a little generous in the graphics, multiplayer, and learning curve department.

Not that I've played it, of course... but I've seen the screen shots to know the graphics aren't the greatest (I'm really not a fan of the terrain map). And I've played the other paradox games enough to know that they aren't that suited to multiplayer (regardless of their stability) - certainly not enough to warrant a 9, in any case. And I've also played enough of the others to knowthat their learning curve warrants 'more' (less) than a 6 - particularily since Victoria is bringing in so much new stuff.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 23:30   #4
ravagon
King

Re: Victoria review!
Quote:
Originally posted by Johan
NO

NO

NO
Mutters something about ideas brought public without asking ME!
Hmmm ... something tells me that the 'converter' may not be quite so close ...
Old November 19, 2003, 20:24   #5
Daveracher
Settler

Re: Re: Victoria review!
Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon

Hmmm ... something tells me that the 'converter' may not be quite so close ...
methinks never
i think the reviewer got confused with CK
Daveracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 13:52   #6
mowers
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I think he's being a little generous in the graphics, multiplayer, and learning curve department.

And I've played the other paradox games enough to know that they aren't that suited to multiplayer (regardless of their stability) - certainly not enough to warrant a 9, in any case.
No offense but thats ignorant Cr*ap.

There are literally thousands of people who have been playing EU MP and hundreds are still playing 2 years after the game was released.

Many of the games have 20+ people in them at the same time and go on for months without flagging.

EU2 has 59,011 posts for MP alone and we have deleted around 10,000 on top of that.

Now. In comparison I look at Civ II, Civ III and Call to Power MP sites here and they have a grand total of
only 38,387 posts. Thats from a game that has a history that simply dwarfs EU and has infinitely greater publicity.

I've personally spent hundreds of hours playing EU MP and nothing I've ever seen comes close in terms of depth, skill or sheer fun.

Its just not even a competition in comparison. Even if you dont compare the two EU1 & 2 have been massive sucesses for MP play. You may not like paradox’s MP but you cant say that they are not suited to MP. Its just incorrect, otherwise what on earth have thousands of us all been doing for two years?

Paradox took MP to a new level, taking up the baton where the civ series left off and revolutionised MP.
mowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 15:15   #7
adi321
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:21
Quote:
Originally posted by mowers
EU2 has 59,011 posts for MP alone and we have deleted around 10,000 on top of that.
I agree with most of your post mowers.

But the 'we' part had me rolling on the floor.
adi321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2003, 00:52   #8
ravagon
King

Quote:

Now. In comparison I look at Civ II, Civ III and Call to Power MP sites here and they have a grand total of
only 38,387 posts. Thats from a game that has a history that simply dwarfs EU and has infinitely greater publicity.
That may be a little misleading as most of the on-topic fora here are archived fairly often.
Old November 21, 2003, 04:50   #9
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Its more about Concentration paradoxplaza is the Official well supplied Board. There are few other EU [b]Boards[b/] arround.
Civ is more divided. Civfanatics CGN etc.

Nevertheless are the Paradox Games pretty nifty at MP.
My First Vix Game will 'prolly be MP ;=)
Old November 21, 2003, 05:49   #10
mowers
Settler

My post account analysis isnt a good indicator or measure of success as pointed out. But that we managed to get that far indicates that MP was a success.

Where the games have traditionally been weak is in SP. Paradox have created such complex models that an accompanying level of AI is impossible short of a major injection of resources which this tiny team of swedes dont have.

I think what is amazing about paradox is that they are still releasing patches for their games 18 months down the line, not bug fixes but game play improvement patches. There is great commitment to this game and its wonderful to be part of it.

Whether Victoria is a success or not in MP we will see. I've my doubts but I still have high hopes, its a big old game and easily the most ambitious to date. It drastically moves away from the traditional wargame, but I know that paradox will do their best to ensure that its a top notch MP game.
Old November 21, 2003, 19:57   #11
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

Many of the games have 20+ people in them at the same time and go on for months...

Exactly.

It takes an immense amount of time and co-ordination to play it multiplayer, hence why it does not lend it self to it.

Do It Ourselves
Old November 22, 2003, 18:12   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:

Exactly.

It takes an immense amount of time and co-ordination to play it multiplayer, hence why it does not lend it self to it.
..but that's enough complaining about Civ 3, lets talk about Victoria!
Old November 22, 2003, 22:32   #13
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Why compare it to civ 3? (rotten) apples and (rotten) oranges.

TBS games aren't anymore suited to multiplayer then Victoria, but they do atleast have the advantage of being able to play PBEM games, which are nice for a leisurely (and very long) game - It's also more appealing for the roleplayer types like me, since you can take your time making diplomatic messages and communications.

Do It Ourselves
Old November 23, 2003, 05:18   #14
adi321
Chieftain

Well a lot of people on the paradox forums would disagree that you can't be diplomatic or play long campaigns in the paradox games in multiplayer.
adi321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2003, 14:26   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by adi321
Well a lot of people on the paradox forums would disagree that you can't be diplomatic or play long campaigns in the paradox games in multiplayer.
Of course you can play long games. That's all you can play. But not leisurely, atleast not like you can in PBEM. First of all, EU is a realtime game, and you can't keep pausing it like you might in singleplayer, because there's a dozen other people there and the game wouldn't go anywhere if it was constantly paused. And then when you're not playing it, you're trying to organize a time when everyone can be on at the same time, or looking for people who didn't show up. It's a sort of long, drawn out, franticness.

And yes, you can roleplay aswell, but really only between sessions. otherwise you have to do it all in realtime which I personally think is awkward for that kind of roleplaying.

Do It Ourselves
Old November 23, 2003, 16:57   #16
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai

The reviewer also mentions that Paradox will make a EU2-->Vickie converter, but no date is set.

As in a converter that converts your saved game from EU2 to Victoria

That would be a truly astonishing feature

Asmodean
Old November 23, 2003, 17:24   #17
Nikolai
Deity

Yeah, but there is a possibility that he confused CK and Vickie.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old November 23, 2003, 21:29   #18
ravagon
King

I'm still hoping that Johans post just meant that it shouldn't have been made public yet.
Old November 23, 2003, 23:59   #19
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:21
Just bought it, and have played it all day. ****ing awesome game.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Ramo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2003, 05:50   #20
mowers
Settler

Quote:
Of course you can play long games. That's all you can play. But not leisurely, atleast not like you can in PBEM.
You just cant compare RT with PBEM.

Quote:
First of all, EU is a realtime game, and you can't keep pausing it like you might in singleplayer, because there's a dozen other people there and the game wouldn't go anywhere if it was constantly paused.
But in MP you dont play at 4:1 speeds, you dont need to pause apart from in lengthy peace negiotations.

Quote:
And then when you're not playing it, you're trying to organize a time when everyone can be on at the same time, or looking for people who didn't show up. It's a sort of long, drawn out, franticness.
This isnt counter strike. You want a big intellectual challenge then you have to put some brain power in. You want a big game then there is going to be that corresponding effort.

Quote:
And yes, you can roleplay aswell, but really only between sessions. otherwise you have to do it all in realtime which I personally think is awkward for that kind of roleplaying.
Then just play at a slower speed. There is a plenty of time for role playing, unless you want to renact the countesses ball or something.

The chat logs from my games are just full of dramatic and deep diplomacy, its not like the old snail mail diplomacy games but its not exactly risk.

To put it into perspective the board game needed 7 people and it tooks months. Nothing comes close in complexity for a similar game.

I mean the sort of games that dont take time and effort are things like Age of Empires which is either beer and pretzels level play or for children.

It comes down to what you are looking for. But you cant say it doesnt lend its self to MP when it clearly does, whether you like it or not is a different matter and I can understand why some people may not like it - afterall- its quite niche.
Old November 24, 2003, 09:57   #21
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's no good at all for multiplayer. Just that it doesn't come easy. Like you said, it's a niche. And I really don't think it's dserving of a 9. Maybe when compared strictly to other paradox games, but not as a general score.

And it does appeal to me, by the way, I just don't really have the time for it.

Do It Ourselves
Old November 24, 2003, 13:10   #22
mowers
Settler

Well to be honest, its a virtual full time occupation, I dont get to play any other games when I am EU-ing and with Victoria out I can see life getting difficult again.

Yeah, I guess 9 isnt perhaps totally warrented, after all its not a pick and play solutionl.
Old December 2, 2003, 05:44   #23
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

postponed to 17.12 here..
arggh
So anyone got it? How is it?
Old December 2, 2003, 09:16   #24
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I've had it for a while now, very good game. It's alot more polished then the other ones where at initial release, but still has a few things, major and minor, that need to be patched or worked on.

I've put off playing it any more untill 1.02, partly for an excuse to be playing Civ3 conquests and KOTOR.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 2, 2003, 11:33   #25
Nikolai
Deity

I think that Vic is very good! As Osweld said, it's quite finished to be so early after release, and I must say that this game could be the game that made me set EU2 aside for some time.
Old December 3, 2003, 03:58   #26
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:21
Sounds awesome.

If I get this for Christmas, that would make it 3 years in a row that I get a Paradox game (2001 - EU2, 2002 - HoI)
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2003, 11:23   #27
Nikolai
Deity

All good things are three...
Old December 3, 2003, 19:09   #28
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Nikolai: Can you do a short review with pros and cons. I am trying to decide whether to wish this one for Xmas or no.

Asmodean
Old December 4, 2003, 15:34   #29
Sandman
King

Some of the features sound pretty unhistorical to me. A world market in 1836? Meaningful healthcare in the 19th century? No proto-industrialisation cottage industries?
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2003, 19:49   #30
ravagon
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
All good things are three...
Does that mean he shouldn't buy whatever they release next year?

5 Days to go. Hurry up Games Warehouse!