Old November 12, 2003, 14:42   #1
dacole
ACDG The Human HiveBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 12:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Terraforming questions
Ok just started useing boreholes in a major way and it seems they change the weather around where you place them since they release a good bit of heat. Didn't remember this from before, so is their any info on what exactly happens what squares are effected? From what I've seen it's somewhat contained though it does extend more than two squares away from the borehole and all I've seen it do is increase rainfall. However I'm on a pretty arid continent, can it make a rainy square arid, (increase in heat less rain?)

Thanks!
Daniel
Old November 12, 2003, 17:17   #2
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 06:22
Building a condensor will give you rainy square. Building lots boreholes in my mind only cause the water level to increase, which may inversly affect some of you coastle bases if you are not well prepared for it. But you can always propose to increase sun shade.

Grapefruit Garden
Old November 12, 2003, 20:36   #3
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 07:22
The climate seems to dry out in various places (some places more than others, it seems to me) as the game goes on. There are also messages to the effect that someone's terraforming has caused a climatic change at location xxx (I think that the message is incorrect at least w/r the location xxx). Most likely these are connected, and that BHoles and perhaps other stuff results in climatic changes somewhere, probably the drying out. Otherwise, raising or lowering terrain has similar effects (creating wetter terrain on one side and drier terrain on the other side), but I think that only occurs in the local area, while the borehole effect may influence terrain elsewhere.
Old November 12, 2003, 21:21   #4
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 12:22
The effects of boreholes on terrain can be fairly random, in my experience, but in general, unless the borehole is near a watersource, the extra heat will tend to dry out squares to the east of it (prevailing winds are easterly, which is why all the east sides of hills are wet).

The easy way to cope with the unpredictable effects of boreholes is to use other mix them with other types of terraforming which are less rainfall-dependent, such as forests and condenser-farms.
Old November 13, 2003, 14:33   #5
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 13:22
I haven't noticed yet a regular pattern on those climate changes - and sometimes it changes without a borehole, condensor or raised/lowered terrain in the vicinity, just on building a farm or two. On the other hand, I tend to do heavy terraforming, which means there are few tiles which have neither a borehole nor a condensor.