Old November 16, 2003, 04:04   #1
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I hate living in the city...
I was halfway to the corner of 8th and Dauphin (I live at 6th and Dauphin) only a few minutes ago right by an old warehouse. There was a number of people at the corner (there's a club right there). and some dude there suddenly shouted, 'yo B, you got my gun?!' and then someone, only 30 feet from me just opened fire. Five shots.

god damn. why in god's ****ing name do i got to live like this? this aint ****ing right! this aint how human beings are supposed to live, ducking strays!
Old November 16, 2003, 04:09   #2
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Jesus, that's terrible.

Personally, I'm living in Iowa right now, and I can't WAIT to get to the city. I'd rather live in danger than die from boredom.
Albert Speer
Old November 16, 2003, 04:13   #3
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

this **** happens every saturday night, just usually, I get past the club by 2:30 am when people start leaving it so I'm safe but today, i missed the first bus coming back from my work (we were understaffed and i had to do several jobs so we were 15 minutes late in closing), so i was walking home just in time to see them idiots start shooting each other. 30 feet away at the most. if i was walking a little faster and had reached the corner then, i could easily have been shot. ****ed up ****.
Old November 16, 2003, 04:20   #4
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:36
It's obvious you need to move to the countryside to plant the cows and chickens or what have you.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old November 16, 2003, 04:27   #5
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Keep your head down.
Stay in college.
Study hard.
Get out and make something of yourself.
Live wherever you want.

It's a pretty straightforward plan. Good luck with it.
Old November 16, 2003, 04:34   #6
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Well, much of the city isn't like this. Even Philadelphia has nicer neighborhoods.

Anyway, if it's so predictable, the cops should be all over this kind of stuff.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 16, 2003, 04:37   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 12:36
Re: I hate living in the city...
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
I was halfway to the corner of 8th and Dauphin (I live at 6th and Dauphin) only a few minutes ago right by an old warehouse. There was a number of people at the corner (there's a club right there). and some dude there suddenly shouted, 'yo B, you got my gun?!' and then someone, only 30 feet from me just opened fire. Five shots.

god damn. why in god's ****ing name do i got to live like this? this aint ****ing right! this aint how human beings are supposed to live, ducking strays!
Come to Logan. I can assure you that has NEVER happend here.
Except for that nasty murder of the baby. Bah.
Old November 16, 2003, 04:56   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:36
I suggest getting away from the inner city as fast as possible. Philly is a tough city as well. The inner city in Vegas isn't that bad. Mostly drugs, not much guns. Most gun violence only kills little girls. I swear little mexian girls must be magnets for bullets. They seem to be the only ones killed by gang violence . But other than that, the only people killed in my city, are usually the intended target. And they did something to warrant that death (by gang warfare rules of course). Oh, we have the usual domestic killing as well. It doesn't pay to marry men who can be violent.
Old November 16, 2003, 06:47   #9
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:36
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Do you secretly live in Mogadishu Speer or have I just forgotten how mindlessly violent American cities can be after years of living in Canada/UK?
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old November 16, 2003, 06:53   #10
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: I hate living in the city...
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer

Yes, but in your infamous trip to the suburbs you claimed you hated all those people because they didn't have to put up with that sort of crap. Get consistent, kid.
Old November 16, 2003, 06:54   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:36
he confused hate with jealousy
Old November 16, 2003, 07:06   #12
Space05us
King

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 3, 2010
people are so stupid. did anyone get hurt Al?
Old November 16, 2003, 09:29   #13
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Must get sickening after a while. Come here! Be the fourth Northamptonian!!!
Old November 16, 2003, 09:47   #14
The Viceroy
Prince

Northampton Capital of ?? well .. err .. those big radio masts as you make your way down the M1 .. thats about the sum of my knowledge

Its a good question though Albert .. how do some people get into lives that lead them to consider pulling a gun in such a way .. its really sad. I think Inner city kids should be all sent to live in small villages for a few years, to calm them down, and who knows, even get a reasonable education ?? may actually help them.
Old November 16, 2003, 09:52   #15
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 15:36
AS, You got shot at just like that? Uh.. You need to get out of there ASAP. You deserve better than that.

.. no wait, they were shooting each other? well anyway, that's almost as bad because you were so close.. I couldn't imagine living in area like that. Get out the first good chance you get.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 16, 2003, 10:01   #16
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Quote:
Northampton Capital of ?? well .. err .. those big radio masts as you make your way down the M1 .. thats about the sum of my knowledge
Try getting past junction 15 or 15a on a Friday evening
Old November 16, 2003, 10:37   #17
The Viceroy
Prince

M1 + Friday = Almost as much hell as poor old Al seems to have experienced .. although, saying that, I'll hedge my bets with the M1 Its just Angry old grannies in their 4x4's you want to watch out for .
Old November 16, 2003, 10:48   #18
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I've never actually been into Northampton although I have been past it many a time. Perhaps I will have to visit at some point to see...erm...to go visit the world famous...err..erm...I'll just go to Newport Pagnell services as per usual then

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 16, 2003, 10:52   #19
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 07:36
I live in a city of only 50,000 and in some places you know not to go or to go quickly through. The apartment complex I used to live in is in an area called apartment city, because of all the apartments there. We had shootings on a regular basis there for a while as well, until the police moved in. Literally. They set up a sub station there. Some even moved into apartments in the area. I went to the police station one time to pay a ticket and i saw a list of warrents outstanding and the majority lived on or near my street. Anyway, i live in quiet area now, with trees and only 10 minutes away from the old neighborhood.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old November 16, 2003, 10:55   #20
Provost Harrison
Deity

You've got trees? Wow?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 16, 2003, 11:32   #21
Theben
Deity

You live in Philly and you're surprised by this?

Either move away, or shut up and deal with it. You ain't the 1st person to have bullets shot off around them.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 16, 2003, 11:36   #22
Pekka
Emperor

Theben, I think that's not fair comment. AS is going to college there after all and working at the same time. IMO he's now in a place where he needs to be, to be able to get out eventually and succeed.

Other option would be transferring to other college, but I don't know if that's possibility. Or move to another area, but that's money question too...
Old November 16, 2003, 11:36   #23
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:36
You need one of Pekka's SuzyQ's, AS, or move somewhere else.
Old November 16, 2003, 11:39   #24
Pekka
Emperor

UR, that's correct.
Old November 16, 2003, 11:44   #25
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Theben, I think that's not fair comment. AS is going to college there after all and working at the same time. IMO he's now in a place where he needs to be, to be able to get out eventually and succeed.

Other option would be transferring to other college, but I don't know if that's possibility. Or move to another area, but that's money question too...
Then he needs to transfer somewhere else. I guess you don't know just how violent american cities can be. Any other U.S. city he goes to will have it's share of violence.

Quote:
I think Inner city kids should be all sent to live in small villages for a few years, to calm them down, and who knows, even get a reasonable education ?? may actually help them.
They've tried this. Sending gang kids from cities into the deep south or other more rural areas (usually to live with other family). They just bring their gang ties with them and set up shop.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 16, 2003, 11:46   #26
Provost Harrison
Deity

Don't start Pekka off UR

Old November 16, 2003, 11:52   #27
Pekka
Emperor

Theben, I don't have first hand experience of violence in US, I've been fortunate enought to be left alone, but that wasn't my point. It was, that AS might not be able to transfer.. I don't know. Or maybe he is. If he was personally targeted by someone and would know the time will come, then I think the only real option is to get the hell out no matter what. But now, it's not simple, IMO if he don't have anything else waiting for him or possible for him to grab outside Philly.. would it be smart? After all, he could get shot elsewhere too. Difficult question.. but I agree, as soon as possible, he should get out of that place.
Old November 16, 2003, 11:59   #28
Theben
Deity

Probably, but I wouldn't be surprised if part of the lifestyle he desires is putting himself in/near these situations.
Old November 16, 2003, 13:42   #29
Az
Emperor

congratulations, Albert.

Old November 16, 2003, 13:55   #30
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
They also brew Carlberg here. However pints of Export still cost the same

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker