DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH
Isn't breaking the law immoral?
I'm not able to figure out if this is addressed to me or diplomat.
Old November 20, 2003, 12:24   #212
Q Classic
Emperor

something about immoral laws and moral behavior or some such.

Old November 20, 2003, 12:26   #213
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:37
Quote:
Diplomat, you'd better get busy, there are a lot more countries you need to invade to stop that kind of thing.
If you can stop it through peaceful means, then you should do that first. War is always a last resort.

In the case of Iraq, we tried 12 years of econ sanctions and no-fly zones which failed to change the humanitarian crisis or to deal with the national security threat. So, war was neccessary at that point.

The US claimed to have a humanitarian and a national security reason to go to war in Bosnia, which we did without formal UN approval. Why not in Iraq?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old November 20, 2003, 12:29   #214
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 13:37
What about all the other countries? Why save the Iraqis and not all the others?

We've got both kinds
Old November 20, 2003, 12:31   #215
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Isn't breaking the law immoral?
Was it immoral for blacks to resist segregation? I would say yes.

My point is that if the law is immoral to being with, then breaking it is ok IMO.

Obviously, determining whether or not the law is immoral can be a thorny issue, so I'll help you out.

Diplomat's moral principle #1:
"Any law that causes pain either physical or emotional on a human being, is immoral"
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old November 20, 2003, 12:33   #216
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

"Any law that causes pain either physical or emotional on a human being, is immoral"
Say good bye to penal law.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old November 20, 2003, 12:35   #217
The diplomat
King

Quote:
What about all the other countries? Why save the Iraqis and not all the others?
Did you read my above post? I believe we should do everything we can to save innocent people from oppression no matter which country they are from, but we should use peaceful means first, and only use force if it is neccessary.
Old November 20, 2003, 12:41   #218
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Diplomat's moral principle #1:
Fair enough. So any law that allows the government to put people in prison is immoral.

We've got both kinds
Old November 20, 2003, 12:47   #219
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Fair enough. So any law that allows the government to put people in prison is immoral.
It would depend on what the prison is like. Simply isolationg people from society (because they are dangerous to society), is not neccessarily immoral.

For example, I could isolate you completely from the rest of society by locking you up in a plush 4 star hotel on a desert island. That would not be immoral since it does not cause you any pain.

But obviously, a lot of the stuff that goes in prisons, is definitely immoral!
Old November 20, 2003, 12:49   #220
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

Isolating people from society (esp. their friends and loved ones) causes emotional pain so it's out under your laws I'm afraid.

We've got both kinds
Old November 20, 2003, 12:52   #221
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Isolating people from society (esp. their friends and loved ones) causes emotional pain so it's out under your laws I'm afraid.
should I rephrase my principle?

"Any law that causes pain either physical or emotional, without proper justification, is immoral."
Old November 20, 2003, 12:53   #222
Q Classic
Emperor

actually, isolation can cause lots of pain.

most depressives socially and physically isolate themselves, which only exacerbates the situation they're in.
Old November 20, 2003, 12:55   #223
Q Classic
Emperor

what constitutes proper justification? laws?
Old November 20, 2003, 12:59   #224
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

should I rephrase my principle?

"Any law that causes pain either physical or emotional, without proper justification, is immoral."
Good so now all I need to do is justify what I'm doing and I can cause as much emotional and physical pain as I want.

We've got both kinds
Old November 20, 2003, 13:00   #225
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
what constitutes proper justification? laws?
Great idea! To stop people abusing the system and just justifying anything we'll write down the rules about when you are allowed to cause physical and emotional suffering and call them 'laws'. Then if anyone breaks these laws we can punish them.

Now we've got a nice moral system.

We've got both kinds
Old November 20, 2003, 15:28   #226
Ned
King

Local Time: 04:37
I really love it. Christian Amanpour is reporting on the demonstrators at Trafalgar Square. The camera pans down. Liberally dispersed among the milling throng are Cuban flags! Christain pays no notice, and speaks in terms that the protestors represent Britain, etc., etc.