Old November 16, 2003, 09:40   #1
grdgrdgrd
Settler

Local Time: 12:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Firaxis is looking for new games to build...help me suggest SMAC
If you might be intersted in letting Firaxis know that there are still a lot of us (Alpha Centauri fans) around they just might be interested in hearing from you. If we can suggest to them that we would like a newer version of this fantastic game (GameSpot still gives it a 9.1 superb rating) than they might listen. Also read this news from the Civilization Fanatics' Center:

Atari corporate today confirmed the closure of its Hunt Valley Studio, which was formerly the independent publisher/developer MicroProse. The studio had recently completed work on Dungeons & Dragons Heroes, but had a long history of development on games that have gone down in the books as best-sellers and award-winners. Those titles include Sid Meier's Civilization, Civilization II, Railroad Tycoon, Colonization, and Pirates.

Nancy Bushkin, Atari vice president of corporate communications, said, "I can confirm that the Hunt Valley Studio, which we manage on behalf of Infogrames Entertainment, was closed. The team there had successfully completed work on their sole project, D&D Heroes, and they had no other titles under way, making this a straightforward business decision. "

She went on to confirm that 35 employees were laid off and that the company is "in discussion with a handful of [those] people regarding other positions."

Some of these 35 employees just might be from the original SMAK team.

Please if you would like to see a new 2004 version of Alpha Centauri than fill out the form linked below on the game feedback page of the Firaxis site. I would personnaly appreciate it. Thanks.

http://www.firaxis.com/contact_gamefeedback.cfm