Old November 17, 2003, 07:28   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Chat room
As posted around, Impaler[WrG], laurentius, Phenix and I are chatting in a makeshift Poly chatroom, getting a lot of info exchanged, and improving our own sense of what's going on + feeling more active. I think this is a good thing, and thus I ask if the rest of the team deems it is logical to take the next step - for me to set up our own permanent room at Poly, that will be passworded to protect vital Consciousness datastreams.

May I?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 17, 2003, 07:35   #2
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 14:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Go for it. Its a very good idea, I like the effiency of it

- Paul Valery
Old November 17, 2003, 08:20   #3
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 05:39
Second that, probly wont be schedualed as were are spread over several Continents (the Sun never sets on the Cycon Empire). We used PM's to get this organised so if your chating and you see someone bulb is on give them a ring.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old November 17, 2003, 08:29   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

What happens for the ISDG and the Civ3 Demo Games is that people just go to the chatroom and idle there whenever they can. Kind of a hang out. Unsure if we will be active enough for this, but Impaler's suggestions is good - time to add another 17 names to my buddy list...

Old November 17, 2003, 09:16   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Here's the chatlog. Mostly infodump on recent CyCon history and discussion on Interior matters.

Old November 17, 2003, 12:51   #6
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

Local Time: 13:39
Yea, this was a good idea, the best way to exchange information and ask some fast questions

Best to get the password protection up asap... we don't want any Peace probe agents infiltrating!!
Old November 18, 2003, 18:09   #7
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Great initiative!

Btw MWIA, IIRC you said in the chatlog that you only had SMAX v1.0. The patch version 2.0 can be downloaded on the Firaxis site.
Old November 19, 2003, 01:05   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

OMG! There's a 2.0?!?!?

Old November 19, 2003, 01:19   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

BTW I am following up on the chatroom thing now - I will need people to register their nicknames eventually with Chanserv, but once I have it up and running I will let everyone know how to do that.

Old November 19, 2003, 04:40   #10
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Great! Just let us know when you get the party started.

Maniac: 2.0!!?

- Paul Valery
Old November 19, 2003, 07:36   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

OK, I have registered a channel for us - #CyCon. The password is "betterliving", with no quotes.

There is one annoying thing - when no-one is in the room, anyone can join without a password, but as soon as someone joins the password is needed for everyone else to join. This should not be a problem as long as no-one tells anyone else what the chatroom name is, as although I have registered it, I have added the "secret" suffix to it, so it will not appear if anyone searches for all rooms we are in, or if they look at a list of registered rooms.

However, it will be best for everyone to register a nickname they like on the Apolyton.net server, so you can post the nicknames here and I can add them to the operators list. This way you will gain control over the room whenever you enter, and we can check out the identities of anyone in the room who is not an operator.

So, to go through this registration process quickly:

you have to be on the Apolyton.net server using mIRC. I will not go into the details of this as you can find it elsewhere on the site.

Choose a nickname, and type

/nick NICKNAME

then

/msg nickserv register PASSWORD EMAIL

Where PASSWORD is the password you will use to identify you as being the person who owns that nick, and EMAIL is an email address Nickserv can send an authorisation code to.

It should give you a message somewhere that an authorisation code has been sent. Then go to your email address and find the auth code given. Back in mIRC, type

/msg Nickserv auth AUTHCODE

Then your registration is complete!

You should close mIRC and reopen it to be sure. Now, type

/nick NICKNAME

then

/msg nickserv identify PASSWORD

You are now confirmed as the person authorised to use that nickname. This is important because anyone can choose any nickname they like when they join a room, so if you find someone has assumed your identity you can IDENTIFY yourself and give them the boot!

to join CyCon then just type

/join #CyCon ROOMPASS

Where ROOMPASS is the room password. It will change sometimes, but for the moment it is just "betterliving", as above.

Try it out, and when you have successfully registered your nickname post what it is here and I will add you to the list of operators. Then, as soon as you enter (and are identified with the right nickname), you will be automatically given the operator status to the room, and we all know it is the real you!

Old November 19, 2003, 19:43   #12
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 12:39
Looks good

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old November 19, 2003, 23:59   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

So if anyone has a moment please register your nickname and I will add it to the list of those who control the room.

BTW, would it be possible to try to schedule a chat for playing the next save? If it is this weekend then many of us could make it, I think, and it would be a further way of getting our knowledge up to scratch.

Old November 20, 2003, 11:44   #14
Phenix
Warlord

Yea, this weekend's saturday would be really good for me
Old November 20, 2003, 15:18   #15
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Registered.
Old November 20, 2003, 22:23   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Nick "Maniac" added to the users list for #CyCon.

Not exactly sure if I have this quite right, but once you are in you should be auto-oped, showing you are authorised to be there.

Now for a tentative chat time, if anyone's interested.

Satruday, Phenix? When is that GMT, so I can figure out what time that corresponds to ME.

Old November 21, 2003, 07:11   #17
laurentius
King

Registered

And currently only funtion in the channel

- Paul Valery
Old November 21, 2003, 13:15   #18
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 05:39
Good Job Mr.

I am afriad I will be working this weekend (I work every other weekend). And anyways I just noticed the Turns been sent to us in the Turn Log. I think our orders are are well worked out so far and next turn will be the same. Good Luck, will drop back in on Monday Morning or Night.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old November 21, 2003, 17:38   #19
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

laurentius added to the list!

Old November 21, 2003, 17:54   #20
Maniac

How about a chat one hour before or at the same time of the ACPSG chat being discussed?
Old November 22, 2003, 09:56   #21
Phenix
Warlord

Registred too.
Old January 20, 2004, 05:17   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Hey - does anyone know what happened to the room? I checked in to #CyCon just now and found it claimed not to be registered anymore - was there a server crash and rooms + nicks reset?

Old January 20, 2004, 06:41   #23
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 12:39
No idea

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 20, 2004, 06:45   #24
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

No matter - all reregistered. I will add everyone to the auto-op list tomorrow.

Old January 21, 2004, 17:56   #25
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

OBSTRUCTO registered
Old February 4, 2004, 18:52   #26
Maniac

GeoModder, have you seen this thread?
Old February 5, 2004, 00:01   #27
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Yes, but I'm clueless about this registering thing.

Don't know where in mIRC I have to do that, I literally tried in every window.

Isn't there somewhere a pic of the window I need to register?
Old February 5, 2004, 03:18   #28
laurentius
King

actually you dont need to register to get in...

on the status window, just write " /join #cpu baboons "

- Paul Valery
Old February 5, 2004, 04:36   #29
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

What I do is:

- opening mIRC
The main window opens then and within automatically opens the mIRC Options window
- in that window:
Full Name -> filled in
Email Address -> filled in
Nickname -> filled in (shorter then 8 characters, as Maniac suggested)
Alternative -> filled in (another then before)

I vink the 'invisible mode'
a textline "Server: Apolyton
'New server window' not vinked

Then I can chose the 'orange star' button to choose the IRC Network and the IRC Server. Network is 'all', IRC server is 'Apolyton'

Then I click the 'Connect To Server' button

My firewall warns me, but I override that.
the program tries to connect me to apolyton.net (6667)
apolyton.net looks up my hostname
identd request from 207.44.244.82
identd replied: 2105, 6667 : userid : windows : GeoModder
apolyton.net found your hostname, cached
apolyton.net checking ident
apolyton.net got ident respons

closing link: 0.0.0.0 (invalid username [GeoModder])

disconnected

and then the whole thing again...

Alternately:
connecting to apolyton.net (6667)
disconnected

and a whole bunch of automatic retries.

So can you tell me what I do wrong with this?
Old February 5, 2004, 05:05   #30
laurentius
King

thats really weird...

I logged in to apolyton.net using the nick GeoModder, so its not about that. I think it may have something to do with your firewall..

- Paul Valery