Old December 29, 2003, 20:53   #271
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 12:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Oh yes, I remember Been a long time since I played BGI

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 29, 2003, 21:23   #272
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Heretic! Go and use your Xmas holiday for a good purpose!

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 30, 2003, 10:24   #273
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I have, playing SMAC and BGII exclusively Oh, and seeing a certain female too

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 30, 2003, 10:30   #274
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

She told me she'd left you for good

Anyway, if you get bored, we could play BG2 multiplayer??? *hopes*

-Jam
Old December 30, 2003, 17:34   #275
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 08:41
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
The problem with BG1 is that it is altogether too slow and you can't camp outdoors without getting ambushed- therefore you can never rest and recover your spells... except on EASIEST difficulty and with all the easy things turned on... and even then I have to replay every **** quest about 10 times
you camp a few times, and eventually it lets you rest for 8 hours, its random i think. Usually the monsters that attack you while resting arent too hard. You can always rest near a map edge, so that if something really nasty attacks you can run away.
Old December 30, 2003, 17:36   #276
Jamski
Deity

Camping is a great way to get those last few XPs you needed for a level.

-Jam
Old December 31, 2003, 08:39   #277
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 04:41
Firewine Bridge... and the Kobolds. I hated BG the first time I played it. But six months later I had flashbacks to Firewine Bridge and played it BG all over again.

Then I played the rest, and started on Icewind Dale a couple of days ago.... but Icewind dale has no party character storylines.... which kind of suck. In fact, you just make your own party.... I dunno...

But I also like to play as a thief.... for the backstab multiplier.
Old December 31, 2003, 08:42   #278
Jamski
Deity

Icewind Dale has the advantage of being able to make your own party, and give them the history and stats and classes YOU want. It's just a slightly different way of playing. After a while you really wonder about trying a 6 wizard/ranger multiclass party for example...

-Jam
Old December 31, 2003, 10:29   #279
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Camping is a great way to get those last few XPs you needed for a level.

-Jam
I camped near Gullykin, kept getting kobolds and kobold elite, collected enough XP's to get Jaheira upto level 5 priest, also some gems and gold, and some fire arrows.

Whats the best way to use the skull trap spell (which Dynaheir now has)
Old December 31, 2003, 15:19   #280
lord of the mark
Deity

btw POTM pointed out to me that the origin of kissing under the mistletoe goes back to some Norse god named Baldar.

I also seem to have noted a minor character named Baldur in LOTR.
Old December 31, 2003, 23:06   #281
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

NeOmega, I don't know about Icewind Dale I---> but in Icewind Dale II the difficulty is slider-driven AND you can rest until your entire party is healed- without worrying about each day- the resting is continuous until "x" points are healed.

Icewind Dale II is amazingly fun... and it doesn't have the "disc-swap" tediousness of Baldurs Gate I and II

I recommend it over BGI and II just because of those two reasons... and as for your party complaints- build a story in your head- that's what I do for my characters

It's quite fun.

I'm in the games Chapter II right now... it's a very long game
Old January 1, 2004, 00:54   #282
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 14:41
lol kobolds yield ridiculously low amounts of XP compared to their ability to hurt you badly with their arrows...

I mean 7 XP a piece!! I would camp in places with harder monsters
Old January 1, 2004, 14:05   #283
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Whats the best way to use the skull trap spell (which Dynaheir now has)
This is THE best spell in the game, much better than fireball even.

Ok, use a thief in stealth-mode to findthe enemy, or an invisible char. Cast the spell in an empty place and use missile waepons to get the enemy to charge into the skull.
Or place it where you know enemies will spawn later.
Or use to cover a retreat.
Or just lob it at groups or individuals. It does good damage, and its not elemental damage (fire, cold etc) so its unlikely to be resitsed.

Lovely spell.

-Jam
Old January 1, 2004, 17:16   #284
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 14:41
can your own party members trigger the spell and kill themselves?

that's basically why I hate fireball and area of effect spells; I always end up killing my own party rather than the enemy, lol

just not my kinda stuff I reckon
Old January 2, 2004, 05:10   #285
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
can your own party members trigger the spell and kill themselves?

that's basically why I hate fireball and area of effect spells; I always end up killing my own party rather than the enemy, lol

just not my kinda stuff I reckon
Confusion seems to be doing a good job right now. I prefer focused spells.... ala melfs acid arrow... they let you focus your attack on the mean guys..... allthough fireball can be great too.

RE: Slider driven

All the infinity engine games have a difficulty slider which you can use, I prefer to keep it on normal for maximum XP efficiency. Icewind Dale to me is very difficult.... which I like. I play almost every battle at least 3 times over right now.

In BG II I believe you could set your party to rest until healed. However, there were no ambushes in the night, IIRC. Interestingly, I tried to rest aas little as possible.... kind of to have a "score". Icewind Dale.... man, I am already at like day 400. IN the BG's and excpansions, I got maybe to 115. A lot of that may have to do with not having a cleric class in my party this time.... but it seems it takes a lot longer to heal now.
Old January 2, 2004, 09:28   #286
Jamski
Deity

It takes FOREVER to heal without a Cleric. However - most of the time there's no time limit.

BTW, with IWD2 and BG2, the difficulty slider has no effect on EXP, this only happens in the earlier IE games. Its best to play BG1 on a hard setting to get those levels faster. Once you get to level 3, "you're ahead of the curve" because you level up faster than the monsters get really hard. This lets you kill harder stuff earlier and so on... you level up much faster on "hard" and it ISN'T harder, after level 3 anyway.

Re SkullTrap : It has a smaller area than fireball, so less chance of toasting your party. Another reason it is superior. Remember to use the terrain tactically, make the enemies bunch together, and BOOM!

-Jam
Old January 2, 2004, 10:35   #287
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
How can you sell Ankhegs each? Surely you just give the Smithy the lot and he makes the armour? How long does that take btw? I've never managed to get Ankheg armour in BGI.
the annoying thing is that he when he buys them from you, he pays for 500 for the lot, regardless of how many you have. Ive taken to stowing them in the barrel around the corner from the smithy, and walking them in one at a time to get the full gold for them (since i sometimes come back from the north with several shells)
Old January 2, 2004, 10:36   #288
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski

This is THE best spell in the game, much better than fireball even.

Ok, use a thief in stealth-mode to findthe enemy, or an invisible char. Cast the spell in an empty place and use missile waepons to get the enemy to charge into the skull.

-Jam
Ive only finally got imoens thief skills back, and have not used her in stealth mode. This gives a good reason to try it.
Old January 2, 2004, 14:12   #289
Jamski
Deity

I use stealth or invisibilty in nearly every fight. You can lead the enemy into traps, door ways, narrow bridges... anyway to make them bunch up and come at me one-at-a-time.

-Jam
Old January 2, 2004, 20:49   #290
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
RE: Slider driven

All the infinity engine games have a difficulty slider which you can use, I prefer to keep it on normal for maximum XP efficiency. Icewind Dale to me is very difficult.... which I like. I play almost every battle at least 3 times over right now.
That may be true, but I can't succeed AT ALL (please note I have yet to try any of your tactics) at Baldur's Gate even on the easiest slider... With a Ranger... using arrows. And a full party ??

But In Icewind Dale, I can rest forever and then continue unharrassed and there's no disc-swapping. I have a lot more fun with icewind dale even though it has its tedious moments.

--
Quote:
Once you get to level 3, "you're ahead of the curve" because you level up faster than the monsters get really hard. This lets you kill harder stuff earlier and so on... you level up much faster on "hard" and it ISN'T harder, after level 3 anyway
Maybe that's why I could never get to level 3 until the cloakwood mines. Hmm... ... ...
I was very afraid of wyvrens
I may have killed 1-3 total and that was with having to resurrect half my party

I blew so much gp on resurrections
and that's with reloading each transition about 10 times AT LEAST to avoid an encounter
-

Hmm.. Jamski- in Icewind Dale II, how would you best use invisibility? I really have yet to figure out how to actually surprise the enemy or make any sort of surprise work? Even wiht a thief character with a 9 in move silently... How useful really is invisibility?
Old January 3, 2004, 05:36   #291
NeOmega
Prince

Having a thief with high stealth is your best asset in BG IMO. It works as a great scout, and to use the "rope a dope" tactic, of drawing in one enemy at a time. Plus the backstab lets you inflict heavy damage on enemy central party members.... ie the mage, especially since the mage is usually lightly armored, they can die in the first strike without ever casting a nasty spell.

I just founded the "jester's bag of holding" in Icewind Dale. I spent like six (real life) hours at the inn using it to build up stuff. I plan to make myself 100,000 gold with the useless stuff, and am building it up right now. But now I am on like day 780 or so.... :P

RE: SLIDER

The slider in all the versions penalizes your XP if it is set below normal, but does not give bonus XP if it is set above normal.
Old January 3, 2004, 09:05   #292
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Hmm.. Jamski- in Icewind Dale II, how would you best use invisibility? I really have yet to figure out how to actually surprise the enemy or make any sort of surprise work? Even wiht a thief character with a 9 in move silently... How useful really is invisibility?
OK, in IWD 2, cast IMPROVED invisibilty on the whole party. They stay invisible after they attack, and the enemy just sits there till they are dead. Its the purest cheeze. That's useful. There are a couple of places where its needed to get past the guards and pull a lever (Torak's place, Dragon's Eye level 1...) but apart from that stealth and invisibilty are useful mainly for making sure that the enemy wizard is killed before he can cast a single spell.

Quote:
The slider in all the versions penalizes your XP if it is set below normal, but does not give bonus XP if it is set above normal.
No, not in BG2 or IWD2.

-Jam
Old January 3, 2004, 14:32   #293
DarkCloud
staff

How exactly can I get a sneak attack or backstab to work?

oh and NeOmega- I think I have you beat- I'm on day 2100 now in Icewind Dale II and have only just started Chapter III

-
Quote:
OK, in IWD 2, cast IMPROVED invisibilty on the whole party. They stay invisible after they attack, and the enemy just sits there till they are dead
that's a great idea- I'll try to find that spell!

--
So the XP slider gives you more exp if you set it above normal?

hmm... i might just try that in Icewind Dale II
Old January 3, 2004, 15:39   #294
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
that's a great idea- I'll try to find that spell!
Its a fourth level mage spell. Either find a scroll (forget it in IWD2) or use a sorceror and choose it when you get to level 8.

Quote:
How exactly can I get a sneak attack or backstab to work?
In IWD1, BG1 & BG2 - Make sure you are invisible or sneaked, and stand behind the enemy. Hit him with a weapon that can do back-stabbing (all one-handed weapons except mace, no two handed weapons except staff) and you get a multiplyer of the damage depending on thief level.
In IWD2 - Hit the enemy from the side or rear, while they are already engaged with another party member and do d6 extra damge per 2 levels, starting with +1d6 at 1st, 2d6 at 3rd, 3d6 at 5th... No invisibiltiy requirement.

Quote:
So the XP slider gives you more exp if you set it above normal?

hmm... i might just try that in Icewind Dale II
Not in IWD2, sorry. Only idf you set it to Heart of Fury Mode (in set-up) and start a new game. Then all the monsters have at least 10 times more HP and are worth at least 10 time more XP. They also have huge AC and BAB. Only try this with at least 15th levelk characters, unless you like getting 6 guys killed by the first goblin in Targos.

-Jam
Old January 4, 2004, 04:25   #295
NeOmega
Prince

RE: Slider
Well I could be wrong about ID2, since I have not played it yet, but I am 99% sure about the other games.

RE: Parties
In Icewind dale, I am starting to enjoy the party I made. It is a thief, a fighter, a ranger, mage, and two mage thieves. I can definitely seee how this option make the game have more "replayability" than Baldur's Gate.

RE: Sleep
Sleeping 8 hours a time is fun. I tallows you to rememorize all your spells, so when you are ambushed, you can release your most powerful spells immediately. I am getting a good workout right now in the magic system.
Old January 4, 2004, 10:26   #296
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
It is a thief, a fighter, a ranger, mage, and two mage thieves.
No cleric? And a single classed theif? Madness.

In IWD1, a single class thief gets so many skill points that at the end of the game they are wasted. Just a word of advice And life without a cleric? Owch. No healing, no buffing, no turn undead, and he can even fight a bit too

-Jam
Old January 4, 2004, 12:25   #297
lord of the mark
Deity

anyone know a website with the contents of all the BG "history books" - Im interested in the fuller backstory of Sword coast history, but have left the books behind all over the place.

A search of DnD forgotten realms sites reveals an overwhelming amount of material, most of it not relevant to BG backstory. Similarly for Dnd materials found in RL bookstores, etc.
Old January 4, 2004, 12:49   #298
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
LotM,
this is the best that I could find for you, It's a link to a word97 document with the complete texts of all the books.

...requires gamespy id to download (I tried to dowload it but file planet was having problems

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg/...y/items/books/
click the link at the top that says "adventurers companion"
Old January 4, 2004, 12:52   #299
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
BTW, you are far more ambitious than I , I read maybe two of the books, and decided that I'd had enough
Old January 4, 2004, 17:20   #300
Jamski
Deity

You can browse the books using gatekeeper (for BG) gatekeeper2 (for BG2) dalekeeper (for IWD) and dalekeeper2 (for IWD2) YOu can get all these programms either with a quick google, or from planetBG.com

They are essential stuff if you're really into the games. They allow you to edit save games, characters, variables and view all items and so on...

-Jam