Old January 15, 2004, 20:22   #361
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tell me, I've been looking since July

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 15, 2004, 20:26   #362
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
Well, I'll go back to where I got it, and see if I can find another one, if so I'll cut you a deal.
Old January 15, 2004, 20:34   #363
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I'll post you whatever you pay in dollars, but in euros, so the difference in exchange rate pays the postage. How's that for a deal?

I think 1 euro buys $1.19 or something ...

-Jam
Old January 15, 2004, 21:13   #364
centrifuge
Prince

Well, if I can find it, I'll see what shipping will cost and then we can go from there. It's definitely a long shot though, but it's worth a shot. I'm thinking that shipping will actually be at least $5, however. When I was shipping gifts over the holidays, I almost spent more to ship then what was spent on the gifts.
Old January 16, 2004, 04:10   #365
Jamski
Deity

Well, if the shipping costs $25 I'd still pay, 'cos I ain't paying $100 on Ebay and then shipping as well...

-Jam
Old January 16, 2004, 10:49   #366
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 08:41
another BG1 question
Ok, ive dealt with the Cloakwood mines, but havent yet
Spoiler:
flooded them

i lost Imoen in the bottom level, and would like to resurrect her and then come back for the loot. But its not clear to me if i exit without
Spoiler:
flooding
if i can return and still
Spoiler:
flood them
later.

I understand that money becomes less of an issue once i enter BG city, so if necessary i will just take out what loot i can manage. (I now have about 5000 GP, but resurrecting Imoen will cost about 1000, and im running short on magic arrows - I know many have more gold at this point, but ive stopped routine stealing from innocents, and i tend to resurrect lost party members, using reload only when i lose my PC, or most of my party)
Old January 16, 2004, 11:31   #367
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 14:41
iirc, you can't do what you want to do there
Old January 16, 2004, 11:40   #368
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 13:41
Can I just say that I love your little spoiler quotes, and would like to know how to do them, but am a bit confused that all of the quotes in the post above say exactly the same thing!

Oh, and Jam:

Planescape

Have a look on e-bay and good luck! It seems to be far more cheaply available in German if that's any good to you.
Old January 16, 2004, 11:54   #369
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
Can I just say that I love your little spoiler quotes, and would like to know how to do them,
[SPOILER] your text [\SPOILER]

except switch the \ for a /
Old January 16, 2004, 12:32   #370
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Have a look on e-bay and good luck! It seems to be far more cheaply available in German if that's any good to you.
Well, I have BG1, BG2, IWD2, and NWN in German, so I could probably cope

-Jam
Old January 16, 2004, 12:43   #371
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
iirc, you can't do what you want to do there
you can as long as you leave before

Spoiler:
killing the main guy
Old January 16, 2004, 13:45   #372
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge

you can as long as you leave before

Spoiler:
killing the main guy
Oh, yeah, i already did that

Spoiler:
went in, and then left with stuff to FAI (wirthout having killed main guy ) and revived Imoen,(who'd gotten killed when i tried to rest in large room) and came back

but then I lost Imoen AGAIN
Spoiler:
when i only managed to disarm one of the two traps, and she was in the front of the party when we faced the battle horror. She survived, but onlyu barely, and then died in the battle with the head honcho. NOw ive got 5 guys, and theyre trying to carry back all loot, as well as imoens stuff, plus two wyvern heads collected on the way up from FAI.

So thats why id like to get to FAI or Beregost, sell stuff, including the Wyvern heads, resurrect Imoen, giving me one more carrier, (even if a weak one).

But it looks like if i leave without
Spoiler:
flooding the mines on the way out, I will not get another chance to flood the mines,

which seems to be important to advancing the plot.
Old January 16, 2004, 14:42   #373
centrifuge
Prince

I can only suggest that you take advantage of all of your open slots, meaning the ring slots, necklace, missiles, quick items etc. and drop any thing that's unnecessary, such as non-magical arrows and whatnot.
Old January 16, 2004, 14:54   #374
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
which seems to be important to advancing the plot.
You can leave it un-done and still progress as long as you "got the baddie"

-JAm
Old January 16, 2004, 15:07   #375
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski

You can leave it un-done and still progress as long as you "got the baddie"

-JAm
well seeing as im good alignment, id like to do it. Dont need any rep gain or XP's though. Any other reason to do it?
Old January 16, 2004, 16:14   #376
centrifuge
Prince

Jamski, I went to see if they had another copy of PS:T, unfortunately they didn't. I could ship you a copy of Mahjong classics V , however

Some good news, I finally picked up NWN, it's the gold edition and includes SOU I'm not going to start it until I finish Soulbringer and PS:T, however.
Old January 16, 2004, 17:27   #377
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Some good news, I finally picked up NWN, it's the gold edition and includes SOU
Excellent. Now simply NEVER PLAY the module that comes with the game (well, maybe do the prologue to learn the controls)

There's about 10,000 other modules to download, and at least 1,000 of those are WAY better than the original campaign. (Actually the OC isn't soooo terrible, unless you compare it with BG - its just unimaginative, but cleanly made)

-Jam
Old January 20, 2004, 02:15   #378
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:41
just started BG2 with a freind of mine

am playing a human wild mage

when can I Dual Class?

when should I dual class?

Jon Miller
Old January 20, 2004, 03:56   #379
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
am playing a human wild mage
Whoops.
Quote:
when can I Dual Class?
I don't think Wild Mages can. Not sure, noone ever plays them.
Quote:
when should I dual class?
As any mage character - never.

If you MUST have a dual class mage, then start as a fighter(or kit), thief or cleric. That's how to dual class a mage.

-Jam
Old January 20, 2004, 04:17   #380
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:41
yah

I know

but I wanted to play a wild mage

I actually looked it up

they can't dual class

jsut like the barbarrian, paladin, ranger, ect

can a monk dual class? it seems like they would be cool to dual arround level 20 (to like a mage)

jon miller
Old January 20, 2004, 05:14   #381
Marid Audran
Warlord

This Baldur's Gate journeyman log has gotten out of control. 380 posts and not buried yet! A testiment to the strength of this enduring IE game.

To celebrate, I even replayed my old copy and recently happened upon Baldur's Gate. After a profitable sortie at the Silvershield estate, and summary decompressing at the Elfsong Tavern, I've finally aquired the party feng shui I've labored long to achieve:

Nanami (Female Elf Diviner)
Shar-Teel
Yeslick
Kivan
Eldoth Kron
Skie

A motley crew if there ever was one. They can't decide on what ale to drink, let alone what ethos to persue. Bliss.

Quote:

True. IWD2 has the best game engine of the IE games too.

Its not about the story - its just hack'n'slash. IWD was the response to complaints that BG1 was too freeform, only let you make once character and didn't have enough combat.

-Jam
I was pretty hostile towards IWD1 when I first played and completed it. It seemed very much to be Diablo for the AD&D set, and the lack of civilization and human interaction was a major grievance with me.

I warmed a little more to it upon replays because I adopted a different attitude (unique party compositions and experiments with soloing/duets). The way I capsule-ize it:

Pros: Gorgeous artwork, spell animation. music, (superior to both BG1 and BG2 IMO), fearsome beastiary, and first IE game that allowed us to relish high-level PCs. Some nice provisions were made for bards and climate-appropriate touches for druids. Adventuring locales have a nostalgic, "classicist" feeling to them harboring back from yet olde AD&D days. The first time I saw a drow my heart lept up in my throat.

Cons: Total linearity; little practical replayability. Ultimately a pretty, but shallow dungeon-crawl. The amount of combat is enervating; character interaction is minimal. Dungeons are sadistic with the amount and placement of traps. Mage scrolls are a tad scarce (one fireball scroll in the entire game!!). Because your party is custom-tailored I wasn't particularly attached to them. Packaged soundsets were quite dull and had none of the personality of BG1 joinable NPCs. Players spoiled by BG2 party banters can just forget it.

Addendum: This is a personal quibble, but I thought it was the totally wrong design decision to pit a low-level party in the Vale of Shadows. Raiding tombs isn't fun when the hordes of undead are resistant to most of the useful low-level spells, slashing/piercing weapons, and your cleric is too inexperienced to "turn" skillfully.

Icewind Dale 2 has superior mechanics with the 3E D&D rules and better writing, but the combat fatigue was still a major problem for me (even earlier than in the first game). By the time I cleared the ice palace (with the help of a walkthrough because it was getting painful) I was about ready to quit! The game picked up a bit from Chapter 3 onwards but in role-playing spirit doesn't have anything on Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Fallout, or Arcanum. Icewind Dale feels more like work than play compared to other IE games.
Old January 20, 2004, 07:04   #382
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Wow, since I showed BGII to my girlfriend, she's gone and bidded on eBay for a copy And there was me thinking she was already perfect

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 20, 2004, 09:27   #383
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 04:41
I quit playing Icewind Dale. I have really no desire to play it right now. The battling was fun, but it felt like I kept asking "Why am I doing this? To get cool stuff?" I miss the personality of party members. I especially miss the party member specific quests ala BG II, most of all I miss lots of stores, magic shops, and blacksmiths. I have tons of cash, and nothing useful to spend it on.

I needed to get working on my mod anyways. Perhaps in a year I'll pick up planescape, or Fallout.... but my friend just got FF XI online, and it looks like alot of fun.....
Old January 20, 2004, 10:07   #384
lord of the mark
Deity

ok, my level 6 party has been in BG city a while now.
we've explored from the east to the northwest, across the upper city, and now the harbor - havent entered the southwest, or the estate in the NW corner (is that silvershield?) Had fights in a couple of taverns, including a really tough ogre, ventured briefly with success into the sewers. Minsc got petrified in the warehouse, we're coming back to him with stone to flesh scroll. Plan to use a knock spell to get the item at the tavern on the boat. We have lots of gold (about 10000) and have bought lots of magic arrows and bullets, and a few spells, and healing potions.
Old January 20, 2004, 10:48   #385
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Sounds good Yes that is Entar Silvershields estate. All parts of Baldur's Gate seem to have something interesting in them. Make sure you look everywhere.

Old January 20, 2004, 14:59   #386
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
can a monk dual class? it seems like they would be cool to dual arround level 20 (to like a mage)
Nope

Drogue - Your girlfriend is unbelievable. I can only get Mrs Jamski to play Nethack, and that's it.

-Jam
Old January 20, 2004, 17:24   #387
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Sounds good Yes that is Entar Silvershields estate. All parts of Baldur's Gate seem to have something interesting in them. Make sure you look everywhere.
does the sequence matter much - are there some side quests i should do first?
Old January 20, 2004, 17:31   #388
Drogue
staff

The Entar Silvershield quest. Short answer, yes, but do the side quests first. There are many side quests. I'm can't remember how many are actually essential to the game, but there is a lot of fun to be had in the city

Old January 20, 2004, 17:35   #389
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Drogue - Your girlfriend is unbelievable. I can only get Mrs Jamski to play Nethack, and that's it.
I showed the the flirt pack I got ages ago (very cute dialog between romance and PC that you can initiate), and she liked that, but the other day I was chatting and she just mentioned she was trying to buy it. She thought it sounded like fun

And Monks dual classing would be sillily easy. A Kensai/Mage is almost too good, a Monk to a mage would be silly. However Monks get much better with levels, Kensai's don't to the same extent.

Old January 20, 2004, 19:01   #390
Jamski
Deity

The flirt pack is REQUIRED IMHO for BG2.

I love some of the converations between the NPCs.

Actually, reading this thread today makes me want to start a new game... Hmmm, perhaps as an Assassin, with Airie as my only partner? Or as a Cleric/Thief with Edwin? Hmmm... suggestions welcome.

-Jam