Old January 22, 2004, 14:54   #421
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Spider Spawn (Sword Spiders!), Greater Malisom (lower enemy saving throws ), Improved Invisibility, Emotion: Despair, Minor Sequencer, Enchant Weapon (instant +3 weapons are convienent early in the game), Spirit Armor (ethereal set of Full Plate, weight: 0!), Domination (ultra-charm), Animate Dead (Skeletal Warriors!), Cloud Kill, Spellshield, Hold Monster, and Feeblemind are nothing to snort at!

After Baldur's Gate I all one's first-level slots get filled up with Identify and Magic Missle; fairly boring. I wish they vast majority of lame 1st-level spells improved enough to be worth dabbling in. When is the last time someone memorized Chill Touch or Larlock's Minor Drain? To wit, it makes taking an enchanter a major drawback.
Old January 22, 2004, 18:55   #422
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:41
Spider Spawn - worst summonisng spell in the game. Imp Invis - doesn't work properly in BG2(too weak) OR IWD2(too good). Enchant weapon - have +3 weapons anyway. Spirit armour - have better bracers and robes by then. Minor Sequencer IS good, ok. Domination - if they're WORTH dominating, then they make the save. Animate dead - leave it to a cleric, they get the S. Warriors sooner. Cloudkill either hurts the party is is used as cheese (fire cloudkill, close the door) Hold monster - maginally useful, but for the spell level VERY underpowered. Feeblemind - if its worth feebleminding it will make the save 95% of the time.

What spells is an 11th level mage using? Magic missile, fireball and a few buffs.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 22, 2004, 19:20   #423
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 14:41
Quote:
I know everything about IE games

http://www.interplay.com/interact/d...st.asp?Dltype=1

Get all the music from BG, BG2, IWD, PS:T etc in mp3 format.

My favorite - the Dragon fighting music from BG2
I don't see any dragon song, unless you mean "the domain of the dragon"

I always liked the main title song... shutting down the game after returning to the main menu and hearing that song is very, very, difficult
Old January 22, 2004, 19:23   #424
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Btw spider spawn: worst summoning spell in the game?

what about animal summoning I then?

sword spiders absolutely kick ass! one of my fav little animals in BG
Old January 22, 2004, 19:29   #425
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
I don't see any dragon song, unless you mean "the domain of the dragon"
THAT'S the one. After about 2 minutes 30 it goes WILD. Its one of the best bits of game music I know.

Quote:
Btw spider spawn: worst summoning spell in the game?
For its level, yes. 80% of the time you get 1 spider, 20% 2 spiders. Low numbers. You don't get Sword Spiders untill you are level 12. Then you can cast Invisible Stalkers. They are one of the best summons. Even Summon Monster II gets better creatures (12 HD worth vs a 6HD spider) Also - Sword Spiders don't have poison

-Jam
Old January 23, 2004, 05:26   #426
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Cloudkill either hurts the party is is used as cheese (fire cloudkill, close the door)
I wouldn't say that. Many times you can either position yourself around the outside and launch arrows in, or use it with stinking cloud/web for good effect. It's powerful and it stays, IMHO easily worth memorising. However isn't it a 5th level spell? Not to mention casting it when among hordes of relatively nasty monsters and killing them all. Although I do tend to preer death spell/fog for that.

Quote:
What spells is an 11th level mage using? Magic missile, fireball and a few buffs.
I use mages a lot more than that. For holding monsters in place (stinking cloud is a wonderful spell), for the numerous attacking spells, for helping party members in danger, for any number of reasons. There is always a way to do a fight that's far to hard using magic. How else can, say, a level 9/10 party kill Kangaxx, or defeat the Shadow Dragon? (two of my favourite fights ). IMHO, while magic missile and fireball are used a lot, there are many more spells that help greatly.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 23, 2004, 07:38   #427
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
How else can, say, a level 9/10 party kill Kangaxx, or defeat the Shadow Dragon?
A level 9/10 party should be running like hell from Kangaxx.

I had a great time last night meleeing Firkragg with Chloe, Jaheira, Anomen and Keldorn. Beat him too I love the dragon fights.

-Jam
Old January 23, 2004, 07:52   #428
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I love dragon fights too. With Yoshi's traps, a lower resistance/breach or two, some dooms and then some kill all spells, it's quite easy. Oh, and a *few* summons

Old January 23, 2004, 08:27   #429
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 13:41
I am totally confused by this thread.

Which posts refer to BG1, and which to BG2, and which are just spam?

(Actually, I don't need that much help with the last category )
Old January 23, 2004, 08:31   #430
Drogue
staff

There's a continuation. The ones with Kelsey and Chloe and the later ones are all BGII, but the spells ones relate to both, when you can get them.

Old January 23, 2004, 08:48   #431
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:

A level 9/10 party should be running like hell from Kangaxx.

I had a great time last night meleeing Firkragg with Chloe, Jaheira, Anomen and Keldorn. Beat him too I love the dragon fights.

-Jam
But you just started a new game!! How the hell can you have evolved so quickly that you can melee firkraag!!

GRR I just don't get why I suck so incredibly hard at this game, yet it's so much fun
Old January 23, 2004, 08:53   #432
Drogue
staff

He's played all day yesterday, he's probably level 12-15 by now. And Kensai's really are special when it comes to dragons

I found doing Firkraag's dungeon, especially the tomb of King Samia, a lot harder than Firkraag himself.

Old January 23, 2004, 10:32   #433
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 08:41
what so great about the Silvershield estate - i mean for a good party that isnt into stealing???

I did the Seven suns thingy went to Scar, went back to seven suns and then back to flaming fist hq. Im in hq now and things have gotten, er, interesting.

Spoiler:
found i couldnt get out, guessed id been fooled and these guys must have gone over to the iron throne. Killed the guards on the main floor - when this didnt hurt my rep, i realized i was right. saved, went upstairs to fight "duke eltan" he killed me with some flame bolt. I will reload, and prepare better for this battle.
Old January 23, 2004, 10:43   #434
Drogue
staff

LotM: the Silvershield Estate is important, when you're told to do it.

Old January 23, 2004, 11:19   #435
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
LotM: the Silvershield Estate is important, when you're told to do it.

Ok, thanks.
Old January 23, 2004, 13:05   #436
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

LOTM,

Have you been to the iron throne yet?

If not, then I get the feeling that something funny is going on. Try talking to Duke Eltan before fighting him, if you are able.
Old January 23, 2004, 14:11   #437
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
LOTM,

Have you been to the iron throne yet?

If not, then I get the feeling that something funny is going on. Try talking to Duke Eltan before fighting him, if you are able.
no i havent been to the IT (i did open the door by mistake, but didnt go in - that shouldnt matter, should it?). I came back from my second trip to the Seven suns, went upstairs to speak to DE, got my reward, went downstairs to leave, found no exit. Went up, in dialogue he said i know too much, and started fighting.
Old January 23, 2004, 14:47   #438
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

interesting, that has never happened to me before , this game is just full of surprises
Old January 23, 2004, 17:31   #439
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
He's played all day yesterday, he's probably level 12-15 by now. And Kensai's really are special when it comes to dragons
Yep, I've played two days solid now, snatching only 5 hours sleep in the middle. And I'm going SLOW because of the HUGE amount of banter from 4 simultanious romances + banter pack. I have now slept with Anomen, Kelsey and kissed Chloe. Jaheira is a slow one. Nice.

Chloe - "Evil... impulses... too... strong. Must... kill knight weighted down by heavy armour... Akadia's blood... demands it!"
Anomen - "Quiet woman!"

All that every 3 or 4 minutes.

Quote:
I found doing Firkraag's dungeon, especially the tomb of King Samia, a lot harder than Firkraag himself.
Spoiler:
Yeah, the greater wolfweres, adamitium golems, a beholder, efreeti and vampire hordes tend to grate a bit.

-Jam
Old January 23, 2004, 19:55   #440
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

btw Jamski, remind me (well spoiler it ) how to kill adamitium golems

Never seem to find a suitable weapon when I meet one
Old January 23, 2004, 20:47   #441
Jamski
Deity

Heh.
Spoiler:
They have 100% magic resistance. They are also immune to weapons of less than +3 enchantment. Note - they don't fit through doors so well. Stay on the other side and attack with either 3 x Lower Resist + LOADS of Magic Missiles or cast Melf's Minute Meteors, which have the undocumented side effect of striking as a +6 (yes six) weapon) Or melee with the greatest magical weapons. Crom Faer kills golems straight off too. Sorry I can't be bothered to track down the Golems' other resistances, but even with a +whatever weapon its still resisting 90% of the damage or something. They really are tough, and if it wasn't for the doorways...

How's that?

-Jam
Old January 23, 2004, 20:51   #442
Standup
Prince

I'm currently playing Throne of Bhaal but reading this i think i'm much more tempted by the 'simplicity' of BG1. I've no idea what level i am as it seems irrelevant (around 30 i guess) and its a case of oh look another dozen drow lets mangle them. I have so many special abilities i don't know where to start.
Its very tedious compared to the joy of exploring in BG1 and getting excited about reaching 3rd level !
Old January 23, 2004, 20:55   #443
Jamski
Deity

ToB is just a mad romp through a series of insane boss fights. Can I reccommend the "Ascension" mod to make it even more harder? Then you NEED to get as many specials as you can, and use them all. *Snigger* Its really GRIM. It does end the story off well though.

-Jam
Old January 23, 2004, 21:18   #444
Drogue
staff

Deleted - question already answered

Last edited by Drogue; January 23, 2004 at 21:51.
Old January 23, 2004, 21:19   #445
Jamski
Deity

That's what I said !

-Jam
Old January 24, 2004, 13:03   #446
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
ToB is just a mad romp through a series of insane boss fights. Can I reccommend the "Ascension" mod to make it even more harder? Then you NEED to get as many specials as you can, and use them all. *Snigger* Its really GRIM. It does end the story off well though.

-Jam
OH YES!! LINK LINK!

btw it is idd somewhat funny that you can buy +3 weapons from simple merchants there. +3 weapons should be rare and powerful, but of course if your enemies are that strong you can't do with simple steel
Old January 24, 2004, 15:54   #447
Marid Audran
Warlord

Even Throne of Bhaal was beyond Senoir Monty Haul's wildest imagination when he patented the treasure/magic-saturation affliction thusly named after him.

I didn't like Throne of Bhaal, obviously. Still, it was almost worth the price of admission when you meet those three 1st-level adventurers, they "reload" the game after trying to trounce you, and then you assign them a quest for the reward of--beyond the dreams of avarice!--100 gold.

"Oh wait, we have to rest so I can memorize magic missle!"
Old January 24, 2004, 20:22   #448
Standup
Prince

I'm getting quite bored with it. Its challenging enough for me without the "Ascension" mod (maybe next time around) but i've just done Sendai's (sp ?) lair and it felt more like a stamina test that a RPG. Very much in the Icewind Dale mode of game playing. It is well made though.
Looking forward to PLanescape though which i've just found on ebay.
Old January 25, 2004, 11:08   #449
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
OH YES!! LINK LINK!
All the mods for BG2 are in the thread I linked to above. I reccommend you install Baldurdash, Ease of Use, Item Upgrade, all of the extra NPCs, Tactics (all components) and Acsension. A very different game indeed, with the MUCH harder fights and extra areas complimented by the cool toys you can get Cromwell to make for you from other weapons and items.

-Jam
Old January 26, 2004, 15:16   #450
lord of the mark
Deity

BG1 chapter 7

ive gotten the invite, and gone to the
Spoiler:
palace
. It seems that if
Spoiler:
the dopplegangers kill belt before i manage to kill all of them then saverok will kill me
and i will lose.

In addition, must i
Spoiler:
go meet with or kill the friend of saverok that tamoko warned me about
first, to advance the plot? And will i find said person in the Iron throne building?