Old November 19, 2003, 05:08   #31
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I really haven't had to reload since the beginning using primarily melee style.

When those wolves would tear Imoen and me apart . Or that first battle as you enter
Spoiler:
the Friendly Farm inn. Oh, there was this tough battle with those zvarts- not the zvarts themselves but some bear they had with them

I use the standard core rules difficulty level btw. I don't play the insane level or whatever.
Old November 19, 2003, 05:38   #32
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:41
Wait untill the bandits chapter Diss. You'll see

BTW, the advantage Branwen has over Jaheria, is that as a druid Jaheria has no healing spells at levels 2 and 3. And the point of a healer is to cast healing spells, yes? OK, Jaheria can fight a bit better...

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old November 19, 2003, 06:34   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

bandits? I already did those. I'm in the city of Baldur's Gate right now- on hold right now as I'm playing Civ3: conquests.
Old November 19, 2003, 07:41   #34
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Hmm, I found the bandits MUCH easier when I realised the power of the simple bow and arrow. Perhaps you are just the melee master

-Jam
Old November 19, 2003, 10:04   #35
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 08:41
how do I spoiler text here? If im gonna keep talking about BG, i guess I'll have to spoiler stuff.
Old November 19, 2003, 11:02   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:41
[spoiler]Stuff here[/spoiler]

So what about in BG2? Are bows still useful there?
Old November 19, 2003, 11:14   #37
Rufus T. Firefly
King

You've already got lots of good advice, but can I still stick in my 2 cents?

Dwarf fighter/cleric is a great character, and the first I completed the game with. One reason is that the game doesn't really have any great clerics (some okay ones, but not great ones), but it does have great characters in every other category you need. But I've also completed it as a bard, so it's not like any particular character is crucial.

Anyway, here are some things to know:
- Bows are way overpowered in this game. You can make up for almost any party deficiency with a couple of good archers.
- The game is hugely tilted against playing evil; I don't mean it's a challenge, I mean it's actually no fun to do so. Don't bother.
- Definitely wander around, but only after you've got a full party -- and try to stick to the areas on your way to your quest (e.g., don't go to Peldvale as a level one character). Also, be aware that some of your NPCs will leave you if you don't do their quests in a timely fashion (you generally have 10 days or so)

Have fun!
Old November 19, 2003, 11:59   #38
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
So what about in BG2? Are bows still useful there?
Not as useful. I found having someone firing acid or fire arrows at the back was pretty good against trolls, but the monsters have so many more HPs that you can't take them all down before they reach the party. There are some COOL bows and x-bows though.

Magic rules in BG2, more than any kind of weapon.

-Jam
Old November 19, 2003, 14:25   #39
Marid Audran
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Wait untill the bandits chapter Diss. You'll see

BTW, the advantage Branwen has over Jaheria, is that as a druid Jaheria has no healing spells at levels 2 and 3. And the point of a healer is to cast healing spells, yes? OK, Jaheria can fight a bit better...

-Jam
Neither does Branwen. There is no "Cure Moderate Wounds" spell in BG1, so the next baseline healing spell is at level 4.
Old November 19, 2003, 15:27   #40
lord of the mark
Deity

well heres what i did - i went forth with that friend from candlekeep (Imoen?) We met two evil guys along the way, and let them join. we made our way to the friendly inn. There was
Spoiler:
a fight there

and i lost my party. I was joined by the two half elves. We've made it to Beregorst (?) And are looking around. Cleary the next thing to do is head to
Spoiler:
Nakshel and get involved in the problems in the mines
but i think i should be doing something more in Beregort. Probably go round looking for more people to join my party, I guees.
Old November 19, 2003, 16:17   #41
Rufus T. Firefly
King

i'm going to try to keep this vague;

So it's just you, Khalid, and Jahira (the two people from the Friendly Arm Inn)? Shame about losing Imoen; not only is she a great thief, but it's going to be a long time before you meet another one. Anyway, yes, look aroung Beregost and its environs more. There are 3 people you can get to join your party, and two of them are very, very good (though they may present alignment problems; still, you need bodies at the moment). There are also several good quests in and around Beregost, all of which will give you much-needed experience and the best of which will net you much gold and a nifty weapon. Good luck!
Old November 19, 2003, 17:52   #42
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
i'm going to try to keep this vague;

So it's just you, Khalid, and Jahira (the two people from the Friendly Arm Inn)? Shame about losing Imoen; not only is she a great thief, but it's going to be a long time before you meet another one. Anyway, yes, look aroung Beregost and its environs more. There are 3 people you can get to join your party, and two of them are very, very good (though they may present alignment problems; still, you need bodies at the moment). There are also several good quests in and around Beregost, all of which will give you much-needed experience and the best of which will net you much gold and a nifty weapon. Good luck!
yup, just the three of us. No thief. So you suggest doing the sidequests before the mines?
Old November 19, 2003, 18:18   #43
Jamski
Deity

Certainly run around Beregost and do all the side quests. Loot everyone's private residences too. Don't forget to visit the house on the east side, with the door facing east, then go south one map, kill "something" and return for "a reward"

Do it and see.

-Jam
Old November 19, 2003, 18:31   #44
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 14:41
Well In BG2 there is a suit of leather armour you can give your ranger (my char is an archer) so he's got a very good AC (it's, of course, magical) and at the same time he can go invisibile (you'll get 100% hide in shadows in BG2).. He has 20 dexterity, 5 stars in long bows, and if you then equip him with some acid/poison arrows you can be really effective when scouting dungeons...

Just make him the lead person and he always has the first shot, and nearly always hits. If the target is then poisioned it will be slowed down (you might have noticed that poison is a pain in the ass because your character is almost stunned because of all the poison damage)

Oh and btw in BG1 there's another exception where bowmen aren't useful: sword spiders. They're extremely fast, and equally deadly in fact, so your bows are not quite that effective. I certainly had trouble with them.
Old November 19, 2003, 18:46   #45
Jamski
Deity

I took down Sword Spiders with the nice 1st level spell "Chromatic Orb" followed by lots of arrows. It the target is fast, magic it stunned, slow, or held. Damage with magic at the low levels of BG1 is a waste of time, disable opponents is better. Your characters are sooo vunerable in this game.

-Jam
Old November 19, 2003, 19:07   #46
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Beregost area NPC's that join your party that I can think of:

Spoiler:
Branwen (cleric) in the carnival area to the east. You need to free her from her stone form- somehow... Minsc is in a town south of Beregost I believe- he's a Ranger- but good with a 2 handed sword. Edwin is in the same town as Minsc. He's a very powerful evil mage who will conflict with Minsc/Dyanaheir. There is a Ranger who is a great archer to the west- near that wizards tower thingy place. I can't remember when the next thief comes around.
Old November 19, 2003, 21:35   #47
Jamski
Deity

Spoiler:
Don't forget the crappy bard in the town of Beregost itself, Garrick. He's nearly a thief. Minsc( very strong ranger) is in Nashkell, as is Edwin (Wizard with extra spells). Kiran (the l33t archer + strong ranger) is in the forest to the west of the main north south route. Minsc will lead you to Dynahier (good mage) , and Xan (Enchanter w/moonblade) you will come across for sure. Branwen (Cleric of Tempus) is to the east of Nashkell in the fair, as a statue

That's enough party for the early game, if you include Jaheria and Khalid too. How could you lose Imoen

-Jam
Old November 19, 2003, 21:37   #48
Jamski
Deity

Oh, I forgot to mention that you should take Boo if you meet him too. He's the best character to have in the final stages of the game.

Trust me, even though it sounds mad, just trust me.

Spoiler:
Boo may attack Savarok on his own, and he RULES

-Jam
Old November 20, 2003, 04:11   #49
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Loot everyone's private residences too.
-Jam
The roleplaying side of things can be a lot of fun, and I couldnt justify my goodly party lotting innocents houses
Old November 20, 2003, 04:23   #50
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I could, but I only did the ones that were empty.

Hey if they aren't smart enough to have a dog or someone guard it, that's their loss.
Old November 20, 2003, 04:34   #51
Jamski
Deity

How about if they have giant spiders guarding it

-Jam
Old November 20, 2003, 06:52   #52
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Diss and jamski both left out:

Spoiler:
Kagain, the evil dwarf fighter in Beregost, who is easily the game's best tank

And yes, you should do side quests. Around Beregost, there are several. I won't tell you what they are, but I will say that, at a minimum, you should talk to everyone you can in or around the towns inns and taverns.
Old November 20, 2003, 10:40   #53
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I could, but I only did the ones that were empty.

Hey if they aren't smart enough to have a dog or someone guard it, that's their loss.
Yeah, thats basically what ive been doing.

How will that impact my party's rep? Where do I check my party's rep?
Old November 20, 2003, 10:47   #54
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
Diss and jamski both left out:

Spoiler:
Kagain, the evil dwarf fighter in Beregost, who is easily the game's best tank

He'd be the only one in Beregost then, as opposed to the area?

BTW, Ive started over, I my first dwarf fighter Thorin died.

Now Im Thrain, also a dwarf fighter. This time I gave myself a specialty, (Axes). Ive also made sure to get leather armor and a helmet.

Ive just left Beregost with a party of 6 - me, Imoen, the two bad guys i picked up on the road from candlekeep, and the two half-elves.
Old November 20, 2003, 12:00   #55
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

He'd be the only one in Beregost then, as opposed to the area?
Not exactly.

Spoiler:
Garrick is also in Beregost itself. You can get him only if you complete his quest the right way. It's worth doing the quest the right way for other reasons -- a nifty weapon -- but Garrick himself is pretty lame; he'd be a good place-filler if you want to dump the evil guys asap, but he's not a keeper unless you really hate paying to identify stuff.

By the way, you can check your reputation by checing the character info on any party member; it's there with all they're other stats, and everyone in teh party has the same rep.
Old November 20, 2003, 12:06   #56
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:41
Youre in for a lot of pain if you restart every time your main character dies. As much as saving and reloading pains me, this is the kind of game where it can become essential.

Iirc, when your rep changes it appears in the dialogue box. I think it will only effect your rep if you get caught doing it and have to fight guards or whatnot.

Out of interest, what alignment have you gone for? Are you planning on roleplaying your alignment, or are you going to take the options that offer the greatest reward?
Old November 20, 2003, 14:22   #57
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Snotty
Youre in for a lot of pain if you restart every time your main character dies. As much as saving and reloading pains me, this is the kind of game where it can become essential.

Iirc, when your rep changes it appears in the dialogue box. I think it will only effect your rep if you get caught doing it and have to fight guards or whatnot.

Out of interest, what alignment have you gone for? Are you planning on roleplaying your alignment, or are you going to take the options that offer the greatest reward?
Im neutral good. And yeah, im thinking id like to role play good, though im not above stealling something now and then.

Starting over - well in my first start I made some newbie errors, so I was happy to restart anyway. I could see where that could become a problem though.
Old November 20, 2003, 17:53   #58
Jamski
Deity

You can check rep on the character roster screen, with all the hit rolls etc.

Its better to play good. You get stuff up to 50% cheaper in the shops

-Jam
Old November 21, 2003, 00:19   #59
Marid Audran
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

Im neutral good. And yeah, im thinking id like to role play good, though im not above stealling something now and then.
God help us all.

I actually think for these type of games (The Infinity Engine ones, BG/IWD) most people "role-play" in a neutral evil fashion whether consciously or unconsciously. Loot, pillage, and pawn is the motto of the adventurer. It's a greedy, self-interested enterprise. It's not proper work by any means, though adventurers do some accidental good now and then; a footnote or two among accruing thousands of gold and dozens of rare magic items from various locales, often without sanction, permission, or blessing from a proper authority.

This is the real reason alignment is a superfluous stat in IE games; because moral consequence isn't really enforcable by a DM (in the case the computer) except in the crudest of scenerios (killing innocents or donating to a church, thus arbitrarily raising/lowering your "reputation" on a 1-20 scale). What's really annoying are NPCs leaving your party because of this, since they can't see the forest from the trees. Or are simply whimsy bastards.
Old November 21, 2003, 02:57   #60
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:41
I never steal

I do loot the enemy dead

and really do roleplay

Jon Miller