Old December 1, 2003, 21:56   #121
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
the healing is given to the main character is independent of class

don't know about stats

Jon miller
Old December 2, 2003, 03:41   #122
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 08:41
To expand on what Jon said:

Your character, regardless of class or stats, will get certain extra powers during the game; these power seem to be tied to where you are in the chapters, rather your level. The powers also vary slightly based on your reputation. For more on that, highlight the spoiler box:

Spoiler:
Good characters -- reputation 11-20, I think -- get, over the course of the game, 2 "cure light wound" abilities and 2 "slow poison" abilities. Bad characters -- reputation of 10 or below -- get 2 "Ghoul Touch" abilities and 2 "Vampiric Touch" abilities (I think that's right). This is just one other way in which the game massively favors playing "good."
Old December 2, 2003, 03:52   #123
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

actually played some more

beat the mines

didn't take Xan (but what do I do with his weapon now??)

also, what do I do with my 3000 and something gold? (if I knew somewhere where I could buy nifty spells for my level 3 wizard I would do that)

also, it seems like my cleric has a lot of spells, but to make it so that I can last decently long without resting I have to make them all cure light wounds

is there a better way to do this?

Jon Miller
(currently 7 casts of curelight wounds before resting)
Old December 2, 2003, 03:54   #124
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

my stats are acutally not that bad

it is just that my HP is low (but I am currently the lowest level with 2 mage and 3 theif)

Jon Miller
Old December 2, 2003, 03:55   #125
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I think that my rep is 17

thatr is really high

JOn Miller
Old December 2, 2003, 04:23   #126
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:41
Quote:
actually played some more

beat the mines

didn't take Xan (but what do I do with his weapon now??)

also, what do I do with my 3000 and something gold? (if I knew somewhere where I could buy nifty spells for my level 3 wizard I would do that)

also, it seems like my cleric has a lot of spells, but to make it so that I can last decently long without resting I have to make them all cure light wounds

is there a better way to do this?

Jon Miller
(currently 7 casts of curelight wounds before resting)
Lots of answers coming....

Well done on the mines
Xan's sword has NO USE without him to weild it. If you can't find a buyer, dump it in a barrel somewhere.
Go WEST my son, from Beregost, and visit the "High Hedge" as small wizards castle. He runs a shop. There you can buy loads of spells. Or get weapons and armour in Bergost at the smithy, or from the tavernkeeper. 3000 gold is quickly spent at these places.
Sorry, low level clerics are just hospitals, but you'll be using the level one slots for CLW for a looooong time, untill you get the level 4 healing spell.
The player character's special abilites are based on ALIGNMENT not REPUTATION. Good get healing spells, stop poison, DUHM etc. Evil get Larloch's minor drain, horror, etc. Neutrals get a mix. I find horror and DUHM the best.
Rangers won't get spells till level 8, correct.

Rep of 17 is good. Maximum is 20, and then you get a 50% discount in all shops

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 2, 2003, 04:45   #127
Rufus T. Firefly
King

I always make sure that, at low levels, my cleric also memorizes Command. It's extremely useful in the Inn ambushes and a variety of other big fights early on (like those snobs from Amn).
Old December 2, 2003, 04:57   #128
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Bless is great at low levels too. That measly +1 to attack rolls when you have a rubbish Thac0 can really make the difference. That's a good reason to take Jah's and Branwen both. Prot. from Evil is also handy if you're getting charmed, feared, stunned and held a lot. Tat +2 to all saves and -2 AC is pretty handy early on when your saves and AC suck. Shame it doesn't work quite as well as in PnP or it would be THE 1st level spell choice. But if you want "pointy" cleric spells, either you have to take two clerics, or rest a lot more.

-Jam
Old December 2, 2003, 04:58   #129
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

well, i can't get a better sword for Minsc (+2 longsword)

have platemail for him

I guess my wizard needs most everything, could buy stuff for her

Jon Miller
Old December 2, 2003, 05:01   #130
Jamski
Deity

Magic slings, bows etc? Rings? Scrolls? Potions? I never have enough cash in BG1 There's some cool but oh-so-expensive stuff in the shops.

Have you been round the shops in Beregost, High Hedge and Nashkell yet? I'm sure you'll find a few things to save up for...

-Jam
Old December 2, 2003, 05:29   #131
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I Remember visitn all of them, but it has been a while since I plaeyd (I know that I could us esoem stuff from High Hedge)

looking at the two shops in Beregost I guess I do have stuff to save for

there is nice shadow armor for ~12000

and a crossbow of speed ~7200

and full plate mail (I think this is different than what I have) for ~7200

and ring of protection +1 for ~3500

I am doing real well for potions (on just two of my guys I have ~10, only 4 of which are potions of healing)

Jon Miller
Old December 2, 2003, 07:12   #132
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
that avatar hurts my eyes Jon
Old December 2, 2003, 07:58   #133
Jamski
Deity

You should sell potions of freedom BTW. You can't drink them when you're already held. Silly really isn't it

Full plate is much better than plate mail. But it ain't cheap, eh?

-Jam
Old December 2, 2003, 09:33   #134
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
You should sell potions of freedom BTW. You can't drink them when you're already held. Silly really isn't it
I also tend to sell potions of cold resistance, as well as the ones that raise your wisdom (do those actually help you?) and potions of stone form. Probably others, too, but those are what occur to me straight off.

Quote:
Full plate is much better than plate mail. But it ain't cheap, eh?

-Jam
Yes, but

Spoiler:
Just about the time you can afford it, you end up in a fight where you can get it off a body instead.
Old December 2, 2003, 11:08   #135
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
To expand on what Jon said:

Your character, regardless of class or stats, will get certain extra powers during the game; these power seem to be tied to where you are in the chapters, rather your level. The powers also vary slightly based on your reputation. For more on that, highlight the spoiler box:

Spoiler:
Good characters -- reputation 11-20, I think -- get, over the course of the game, 2 "cure light wound" abilities and 2 "slow poison" abilities. Bad characters -- reputation of 10 or below -- get 2 "Ghoul Touch" abilities and 2 "Vampiric Touch" abilities (I think that's right). This is just one other way in which the game massively favors playing "good."
ah, that explains it, I probably first noticed the power in a later chapter, and now im looking for it in an early chapter.
Old December 2, 2003, 15:06   #136
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 14:41
You should give Minsc a 2 handed sword, not a longsword (he's not proficient in it.. => he receives a penalty when using longswords)

give him a big shining 2 handed sword, and a composite bow

Most potions I didn't use... You can use certain potions like fir giant strength etc, or stone form if you are going to do a very tough battle, they'll definately help.. but raise intelligence etc potions are only useful in a few occasions.. I never bothered using them
Old December 2, 2003, 15:58   #137
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I rarely use potions. I always mean to use them, but never get around to it . Only a few times have I used potions- and that was in BG2 only once, and Icewind dale, and only before supertough battles I couldn't do without potions the first couple of times.
Old December 2, 2003, 17:24   #138
Jamski
Deity

Healing potions are the GOD's own drink The rest are of doubtful usefulness, apart from "Oil of Speed" which is actually BETTER THAN THE SPELL HASTE !

Re : the special abilites, you gain one each time you rest for the first time after starting a new chapter (not including the prologue)

Quote:
give him a big shining 2 handed sword, and a composite bow
Minsc has no prof points in bow (-4 to hit, -8 when firing at targets in melee) and a pretty average DEX. He can't hit the side of a barn. He does have the highest strength in BG1 though....

-Jam
Old December 2, 2003, 17:26   #139
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

but it is a longsword +2 (With +1 cold)

and I only have one other melee character

and she is a cleric

Jon Miller
Old December 2, 2003, 17:29   #140
Jamski
Deity

Oh, here's a WONDERFUL site for all you mage fans. Read it and weep at the things that you learn about magic in the BG games. Its a real eye-opener. All cheeze tactics are marked with a triangle of cheddar :

http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Main.htm

-Jam
Old December 2, 2003, 18:08   #141
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

how is oil of speed better than haste? I imagine it doesn't fatigue you after it's over.

Of course I use healing potions. But only in emergencies (ie during combat) I never use them outside of combat. They are too hard to come by, and too expensive to buy. I never buy healing potions (unless I'm real desperate), I just use the one's I find.
Old December 2, 2003, 18:15   #142
Jamski
Deity

Haste gives +1 attack per round oil of speed doubles and no fatigue. The two stack

-Jam
Old December 2, 2003, 20:26   #143
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 14:41
I just meant that you'd better equip Minsc with a composite bow than having him slaughtered/hurt if that's not even necessary...

Composite bows are more powerful than slings, so only give slings to your mages and other useless combat characters (it's really handy if you have tales of the sword coast expansion installed, because then mages have 2 quick weapon slots => Xan can wield the moonblade+sling,.... Actually you should equip your mages with a sling anyway because they wouldn't even hit a sick gibberling )
Old December 2, 2003, 20:42   #144
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

yah, everyone has ranged but Minsc and the Cleric

can you dual twice? (mage fighter sorceror, or mage fighter cleric)

or can you dual mage to sorceror?

Jon Miller
Old December 3, 2003, 00:04   #145
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

you can't dual a mage to a sorcerer in the baldur's gate games. You can in 3rd edition rules.
Old December 3, 2003, 01:02   #146
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

thanks

Jon Miller
(I know very well how third edition works)
Old December 3, 2003, 02:23   #147
Rufus T. Firefly
King

About Minsc:

Trajanus - Long sword and 2-handed sword are the same proficiency in BG (the way short sword and dagger are also the same proficiency), so the long sword +2 is a great weapon for Minsc -- the best he'll be able to get for a while. Besides, Minsc's so-so dex and constitution make it desireable for him to be carrying a shield.

Jamski - Minsc has always come with a bow proficiency point when I pick him up (he also has two in long sword and one in axe). It's not worth using, but it is there.
Old December 3, 2003, 02:58   #148
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Oh, here's a WONDERFUL site for all you mage fans. Read it and weep at the things that you learn about magic in the BG games. Its a real eye-opener. All cheeze tactics are marked with a triangle of cheddar :

http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Main.htm

-Jam
holy cow, I still learn so many things about this game. I don't normally do cheeze tactics unless I'm desperate.

I like that one: Blade Barrier and Sanctuary. That would be a cool sight- go up to someone and just start shredding

yes that site also covers cleric/druid cheese as well. In fact, that site makes me want to load up a new game and play as a druid. I normally ditch the because they suck . Maybe I'll take a closer look at them.
Old December 3, 2003, 06:02   #149
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Jamski - Minsc has always come with a bow proficiency point when I pick him up (he also has two in long sword and one in axe). It's not worth using, but it is there.
You must be picking him up at a higher level then. When I pick him up at level 1 he has no bow skills.

@Diss, its great isn't it I like the infinte spells tricks.

-Jam
Old December 3, 2003, 10:45   #150
lord of the mark
Deity

OK - Some thoughts on cheese

In my current game the early parts seem fairly easy. Now between playing the opening chapters over and over again, getting some hints here, and peaking at some online walkthroughs, I know alot of what to expect. But then Im not only new to BG, but to RPG's, DnD, etc. Ive been roleplaying good, and really reduced my looting and theiving to a minimum. I ve equiped Khaled and my non-warrior party members with ranged weapons, but insist on keeping my main character (ranger) as a melee fighter.

It seems that to play good and steal everything you can would make this game too easy. It also seems that to arm EVERY party member with ranged weapons would do so as well. Kinda like ICS in Civ2. OTOH maybe Im incorrect, since i havent played much past the beginning of ch 3 (entry to Nashkel) yet.

Additional question:
Re superiority of ranged weapons. Is this a bug or a feature? IE is there ANY story based reason for ranged weapons to dominate? Is forgotten realms a place where ranged weapons are more dominant for whatever reason, than they are either in real world Middle Ages, or in Tolkien? Or is this simply an oversight on the part of the designers? My impression is that its the latter - the large number of melee weapons available, the depowering (?) of ranged weapons in BG2, etc would lead me to believe that it was mistake.