Old November 17, 2003, 18:50   #1
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Turnchat?
Would there be any interest in doing a turnchat during the day on Thursday to finish off this game?
Old November 17, 2003, 19:15   #2
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 14:43
Only if you start early
Old November 17, 2003, 19:34   #3
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 13:43
Why not the weekend?

I work during the week (Monday to Friday).
Old November 17, 2003, 21:17   #4
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

/me also works during the day (North American Time). I would be interested in this, but I can't exactly take time off work to participate
Old November 18, 2003, 16:01   #5
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Well, I'm lucky enough to not have a class on Thursday, so I would play during the afternoon here.
Old November 18, 2003, 23:03   #6
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

I've had some upheaval in my RL schedule. I am now going to be responsible for a display during the middle of the day on Thursday, so I will not be able to play during my usual session.

If we are planning this to be the final session, why don't we move this back to the weekend, either Friday night or Saturday day/night.

I live on the West Coast (GM -8), so a turnchat has to keep this in mind when adjusting for everyone.
Old November 19, 2003, 01:25   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:43
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Either of those days suits me. Just let me know a little ahead of time so I can be awake.

One question - are you proposing to do the entire session in a turnchat? These things take quite a while, don't they? If you just mean the last 2-3 turns that's certainly possible.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 19, 2003, 06:35   #8
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

I have no experience doing a turnchat, so I am open to suggestions.

Since we have Aussies, Europeans, (ljcvetko), and Canadians I just want to figure out what time would work best for everybody. This will likely be a narrow range.

Aussies are GMT +12?
Ljcvetko, you are GMT +1?

If I play say 4pm on Friday, that would be 11am in Oz, and 1am for poor ljcvetko.

Does that seem workeable or have I forgotten something?

Edit:

9 hours difference not 12 between the Euros and I.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; November 19, 2003 at 07:41.
Old November 19, 2003, 06:44   #9
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

All our Euros are GMT +1.

Everyone who would be willing to come to a turnchat should post in the thread.

Edit:

Again, GMT +1 is only 9 hours difference.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; November 19, 2003 at 07:28.
Old November 19, 2003, 06:51   #10
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Let the Euros stay up late on Saturday night, at 12pm. The folks in Oz would be up at 10am Sunday morning, The East Coast Canucks at 7pm, and I would have to play at 3pm Saturday Afternoon. This seems the best option of all the alternatives.

So we would go from 3-5pm Saturday Afternoon, GMT-8

Hopefully I haven't mixed up the times.

Edit:
GMT +12 for MWIA.

That's the only workeable option, since there are only 4hrs between me and MWIA, and 5hrs between the Euros and East Coast Canucks.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; November 19, 2003 at 07:39.
Old November 19, 2003, 14:09   #11
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I would be interested, and I am only a two hour time difference from you Ben (Central), so that would work for me obviously.

(one note for MWIA, if he is the aussie you refer to, he is actually from New Zealand I believe..... which might be almost as bad as grouping me in with the "East Coast Canadians" )
Old November 19, 2003, 15:34   #12
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

I realised that after, and I left it just to make fun of everybody.
Old November 19, 2003, 23:24   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

A couple of hours earlier would be fine with me if that helps anyone - not like I have Friday night plans beyond staying up all night playing Conquests anyway.

Aussie?! I am not from the same place as Hydey!!!

Although,,, their cricket team is better than ours....

Old November 19, 2003, 23:57   #14
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Okay.

If we bump it back to 8am Sunday morning for the Kiwis, it would be 1pm for me, 5pm for the folks back East and 10pm for the Euros.

One advantage of the later time is that the folks from Oz would not start earlier than 8am. However, I have not heard from Hydey.

If Hydey wants to participate than we should keep the later date since I doubt he wants to get up at 6am.

What about all the Euros? Would a start at 12pm be acceptable for Saturday night, or would you prefer 10pm?
Old November 19, 2003, 23:59   #15
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 22:43
chat between turns

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 20, 2003, 00:36   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Either is fine here, obiwan.

Old November 20, 2003, 16:52   #17
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
Okay.

If Hydey wants to participate than we should keep the later date since I doubt he wants to get up at 6am.

Sunday morning @ 6 am

Drinking at the cricket club until 2-3 am or passed out

No won't be online at 6 am or 8 am.

Thanks for considering me

I shall check in when I stir from my drunken stupur

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old November 20, 2003, 18:21   #18
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Okay.

We go from 1-3pm Saturday Afternoon, GMT-8

Or from 5-7pm on the East Coast of Canada,

10-12pm in Europe

or 8am Sunday morning for the Kiwis.

See you then.
Old November 20, 2003, 18:56   #19
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I was fully confident you would arrange everything for the best, President Obiwan.

Yes, the time would suit me perfectly.

See you. But check if taawa is available.
He is a Euro too. And Shade.
Old November 20, 2003, 19:40   #20
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 14:43
I'll read the thread afterwards
Old November 20, 2003, 22:08   #21
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I have other commitments Saturday afternoon, but I wish you the best of luck finishing off the heathen civs at that time. I will be busy adjusting wood-working equipment with the help of a friend who has that time available.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old November 20, 2003, 22:34   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Okay.

We go from 1-3pm Saturday Afternoon, GMT-8

Or from 5-7pm on the East Coast of Canada,

10-12pm in Europe

or 8am Sunday morning for the Kiwis.

See you then.
I've gone from an Aussie to being just one in a group of Kiwiws supposedly in this game!

Terrific - I can be there then, I just hope I WILL be there.

BTW anyone a little confused about getting onto the Poly chat look around the site, or just let me know.

I suggest we do this in a room title #civ2dg

Sound good your Holy Fanaticness? Or had you a better idea?

Old November 21, 2003, 04:14   #23
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

I'll try the Poly chat from home tomorrow. Work out any kinks.

I think we're going to have a blast!
Old November 21, 2003, 09:08   #24
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Can I poop this turnchat party?

I think that the turnchat isn't necessary at this stage in the game and has just meant that too long has passed since any turns were actually played. I'll be posting my dancing smilies along with everyone else once the Greeks have been crushed, but now tend to see this game as a formality and am thinking towards the next one. If we require a turnchat for every set of turns then it's going to become a travesty of a democracy, with the President merely a puppet for the other ministers who are controlling his every turn and with little input from the people. The President should have more power than he'd wield with a turnchat, and should he take the opportunity to ignore the advice of his cabinet then he's out on his own and if things go badly wrong he'll be in trouble if he ever seeks reelection.
The ministers should only offer a guide for the turns to be played, not a dictat, and the President should be free to play them.

<-- This isn't meant to be a rant smiley, but a moan one.
Old November 21, 2003, 13:08   #25
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

I would have played my turn on Thursday, but if this is to be the last session, we might as well make the most of it.

I agree, we shouldn't turnchat every turn, it's just something I thought would be a fun way to finish a good game, considering that the AI has lasted until calvary.

While I appreciate your support for a benevolent dictator, I think we should involve the citizens in the final stage of the game.

As for 'too long between turns' it has been exactly 1 week as of now since the last session. I've tried to mimick my predecessor Cavebear in maintaining a consistent schedule.

So if you think you can do a better job, I encourage you to run as the new president for the 4th democracy game. And before you get to saying it's a foregone conclusion, I remind you that this session requires me to conquer 30 cities.
Old November 21, 2003, 18:06   #26
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
I agree, we shouldn't turnchat every turn, it's just something I thought would be a fun way to finish a good game, considering that the AI has lasted until calvary.
Well said! It is kinda cool chatting with everyone - it's a step closer to actually meeting everyone too.

Quote:
I remind you that this session requires me to conquer 30 cities.
Surely a mere pittance after what has been done ro date!

Old November 22, 2003, 16:33   #27
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

The turnchat will be at channel #civ2DG

Hope to see you all there.
Old November 22, 2003, 17:50   #28
Ljube
Emperor

I am here, but how do I join chat room?
Old November 22, 2003, 18:48   #29
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

this way??

http://apolyton.net/misc/chat/

(just an idea...not sure)
Old November 22, 2003, 19:08   #30
Ljube
Emperor

thanks!

join us shade