Old November 18, 2003, 01:04   #1
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 05:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Prelude to Reform: Kody's Take on the Problem
Kody says:
hello
Voltaire says:
Hello
Kody says:
did I miss something yesterday?
Voltaire says:
You mean Jamski taking over?
Voltaire says:
No, not really, that came as a surprise to me as it did to everyone else.
Kody says:
CENSORED
Kody says:
oh yeah university broke the terms of their treaty
Voltaire says:
We were running extremely late becasue Rokkosovky was drunk the night he was suppose to do the turn (long story), and sick the following day (perhaps there exists some corelations between the two, me thinks so).
Kody says:
they landed their scout again on our land after moving it a little west
Voltaire says:
That gives a just cause for war.
Voltaire says:
Though I do not think we want to show out agression this early.
Voltaire says:
We're not ready.
Kody says:
CENSORED
Voltaire says:
And if they know we're coming they may prepare agianst it.,
Voltaire says:
?
Kody says:
CENSORED
Voltaire says:
?!
Voltaire says:
That is serious.
Voltaire says:
I did not know that.
Kody says:
never mind I don't want any part in internal issues anymore
Kody says:
I thought there might have been a new development between 2145 to 2146
Voltaire says:
You have no part to play in the internal issues, but what he did was out of line regardless of what his intentions were.
Kody says:
although I probably jamski didn't know I've been tutoring rokossovky through the 2145 turn recently.
Kody says:
I think you might need to become a little more active.
Kody says:
that seems to be the main thing everyone is interested in nowadays
Voltaire says:
That was my problem recently, mid-terms and papers.
Voltaire says:
I'm glad HongHu returned.
Kody says:
*nod*
Kody says:
I've explained my reasons gearing up for my confirmation. That is due early next year.
Kody says:
It's probably not too late since the university hasn't posted their turn yet.
Kody says:
but you don't want to shoot Jamski since he is your most active member.
Voltaire says:
No
Kody says:
difficult decison
Voltaire says:
But I've made it clear that the turn you posted was the official one
Voltaire says:
And I'm still chairman, his coup attempt failed, or will faik
Voltaire says:
*fail
Voltaire says:
he simply doesn't have the support
Kody says:
I'm uncertain about the issue on which turn to let run
Kody says:
you see sure jamski probably didn't know what to do since he did it on the spur of the moment
Kody says:
however, you really do need someone that will run your turns
Kody says:
and if rokossovky is unable jamski is probably your 2nd choice
Voltaire says:
Indeed
Kody says:
ahh I used to spend hours pondering the internal workings and trying to figure out what to do to make things run smoothly
Voltaire says:
Rokossovky told me he would do the turn
Voltaire says:
but things came up
Kody says:
almost as much time as the mircomanagement
Voltaire says:
that was the cause of the delay
Voltaire says:
had he informed me in advance
Voltaire says:
i would have arranged for alternate turn players, or an extention
Kody says:
you should have a pre-arranged alternate turn player
Voltaire says:
indeed
Voltaire says:
someone who knows what they're doing
Voltaire says:
that is why i hesitated
Voltaire says:
to play it myself
Voltaire says:
i knew the basics, but i wasn't certain about the details
Kody says:
jamski probably is next in line after rokossovky at the moment I think
Kody says:
basically give rokossovky a deadline, and have jamski run the turns after that deadline
Kody says:
also tell rokossovky that balancing past 1 year is probably too time consuming for him
Kody says:
with 2 hours he should be able to get fairly decent turns
Kody says:
I've realised that I've expected far too much
Kody says:
and everyone else is expecting far too much too
Kody says:
the main thing is checking everything over to make sure all the obvious mistakes are removed
Voltaire says:
I will have to Speak to Jamski, Rokossovky as well as all other players online and inform them of the decisions
Voltaire says:
I also need to make it clear who's in charge in my absence, since in part this is my fault, I was preoccupied with thing
Voltaire says:
So I didn't realise the Marhsal didn't play the turn until 24 hours later
Kody says:
*nod*
Kody says:
need a better command heiarchary
Kody says:
I have a feeling that if honghu hadn't contacted me
Kody says:
googlie would have pressed end turn
Voltaire says:
Perhaps that's why Jamski acted
Kody says:
because jamski only did the turn when he saw my post about how someone should start doing the turn after a certain time
Voltaire says:
I cannot blame him in that case
Kody says:
however he didn't read all of my posts explaining that i would do this turn
Kody says:
the part where he told minute mirage to use his turn... that's where I'm not sure about
Voltaire says:
But even if we fix this, we still have hte problem of having enough people to keep the game going, Tass was correct when he said the demogame is slowing to a halt due to a lack of activity, everyone's busy at this time of year right before winter break.
Kody says:
it means recruiting and having enough acitivities to keep people around
Voltaire says:
Except that we already have all the good SMAC/X players we know in the game, since there aren't that many to being with in real life.
Voltaire says:
The only two others I know are part of the game.
Voltaire says:
The Marshal, and Corellion.
Voltaire says:
Hmm, there's one more person
Voltaire says:
I'll see what I can do
Kody says:
you don't need good smac/x players
Kody says:
you just need someone that is good at learning
Voltaire says:
Of course, but people who a) have SMAX, and b) have played it.
Kody says:
I hadn't really played it when I joined the hive
Kody says:
and if they're visiting the AC section of the forum it means they'll probably have SMAX
Kody says:
anyway if the player doesn't have SMAX
Kody says:
it means more people that will generate more interest
Kody says:
more interest means you'll get more people, and hopefully some of those people will be able to help
Kody says:
think of vev, he never really helped at all with the game
Kody says:
however, he generated more interest, and he was the one that brought me along.
Voltaire says:
Hmm
Voltaire says:
Very good point
Kody says:
It's not about building a team
Kody says:
it's about building an interesting community
Kody says:
that will stay strong
Kody says:
while the community is strong, the game will remain fairly strong too.
Kody says:
okay I should get back to work now
Voltaire says:
Indeed
Voltaire says:
Please do
Voltaire says:
I will take this into account as I always do
Voltaire says:
And will enact it
Voltaire says:
Frankly it's become ridicilous
Kody says:
good luck, I hope you figure out how to solve the problems that have come up.
Old November 18, 2003, 08:33   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:43

Exactly so. Coup is "on hold" unless this scenario is repeated.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old November 20, 2003, 11:54   #3
dacole
ACDG The Human HiveBtS Tri-League
Prince

I would like to be placed on the third string as turn player. Have been around at meeting timies but haven't seen that their was a meeting, one that was called once was called by Kody and after he left nothing of consequence was discussed. We need a more active hierarchy and a more active player base. Frankly voltaire I would have supported Jam in his coup except for the fact that I haven't seen him as all that involved either. I had to get the meeting times together, basicly call the first meeting (which I thought was out of my jurisdiction) and then see no other ones called. Offer to help the turn player, tell him what I was availiable for go along with what he wanted and then see him not send me what I needed to do what he wanted me to do. And then not play this turn. Quite frankly I am disgusted. We need a hierarchy that plans and follows through structure and accountability. Kody did everything when he was here with little or no help and now when we try to divide the labor thoughs who offer to help (like me) get disgusted with being ineffectual. We need to go back to running it like the constitution and expecting everyone to live up to the roles in it which so far I think no one has.
Old November 20, 2003, 12:10   #4
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 06:43
Dacole has a good point there. We really need to find a way for everybody to work on different aspects of the turns. Hopefully we could get the restructuring done before the next turn comes. It takes somebody who is more responsible and responsive than what we have right now.

Grapefruit Garden
Old November 20, 2003, 18:17   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I am having MSN problems, for some reason it breaks my internet connection after a random period of time

-Jam
Old November 20, 2003, 18:39   #6
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

In my opinion we don't really have to resort to turn chat if it is nonpractical. If everybody is responsible for certain things that needs to be done in the game and we all report to the forum before the turn is actually played we should be ok. The point is there must be some people who are actually doing some work for the turn.

Grapefruit Garden
Old November 20, 2003, 18:48   #7
Snowflake
Princess

I'm hoping somebody (Jamski perhaps?) could do a summary about what our current situation is. For example, what're our current stance with regards to all the other factions, how is the tech research doing, and what is our military plan, etc.

There are quite a few issues that needs to be determined that I'm aware of. For example, we were gonna trade Eco Eng with the univ and now that they have not withdrawn their scout does that mean we are at war and how will this impact our tech trade and reseach? We were planning to trade Eco Eng to CC with prototype units and now that we don't have Eco Eng from univ what would the trade be, would there be any trade? Are we going to pact with CC and when? Do we need another ambassador for Drones? Are we still pacted with PEACE and what's the latest plan regarding anything with them? When are we going to attack univ? Or are we going to go to war with Roze? How far away we are from calling the governor election? How's the internal infrastructure and terafarming doing? Which area do we need to assign people to work on?

Grapefruit Garden
Old November 21, 2003, 05:35   #8
Jamski
Deity

Its possible the Uni scout move was a mistake. I'll ask GT what they intend to do about it (off the record)

-Jam
Old November 21, 2003, 11:54   #9
Snowflake
Princess

I think we need a more organized structure. Maybe a listing if all the things that need to be clearified and done and who's gonna do it.

Grapefruit Garden
Old November 21, 2003, 18:37   #10
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 05:43
Indeed, I'm taking suggestions as to how things should be organized. Obviously we NEED someone to actually play the turn, but we cannot leave all of the responsibility on them. We also require one person to take on foreign affairs. Aside from those two positions I do not know how to go about divvying up the responsibilities.
Old November 21, 2003, 18:51   #11
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 13:43
Well, I´d like to contribute to the party!

But then, this could just be a short spam-rush of mine, and tomorrow things are completely different...

Anyway, I love RPing, and I am quite experienced with Communist propaganda. My time is limited (actually, I´m simply lazy ) though, but I´m sure there´s some position that fits me.

Due to my two weeks absence from regulary checking the forums, I need someone to update the "RECALL" thread...
I´ll do the most recent things, but I somehow missed the whole Inactivity crisis developement...

Anyone?
Old November 21, 2003, 18:59   #12
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Micha
I somehow missed the whole Inactivity crisis developement...

Anyone?
Basically, you have not missed a thing.

In other words, in the two weeks you were absent, others were also absent. And the turn sat at Hive's hand for about 5 days.

As for what happened during the game, one thing I know is that we met the Data Angels. That's all the changes I think we have. Oh and university broke their treaty with us by landing the scout in our land again, but that might be a mistake. Other than what we mentioned, we have not made any progress diplomatic wise with either the univ nor the CC, as far as I know.

Grapefruit Garden
Old November 21, 2003, 19:06   #13
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire
Indeed, I'm taking suggestions as to how things should be organized. Obviously we NEED someone to actually play the turn, but we cannot leave all of the responsibility on them. We also require one person to take on foreign affairs. Aside from those two positions I do not know how to go about divvying up the responsibilities.
I agree with you Chairman that the most needed role is the turn player. I can see three people who can do this. You, Jamski, and dacole. Other people either do not have the game, or do not have the time. Dacole may not be as experienced as you two but I believe he can prove be as good an addition to the team as Kody. Well perhaps not that good but almost.

Secondly we do need to get all the foreign affairs sorted out. Somebody needs to organize this (what are pending issues and form discussions on them) and some other people can go out and talk to those factions. Here's what I see Micha, Oct, Vander, me and the other ones could contribute.

Three, all the game related issues that needs discussion needs to be laid out. One of the turn players should lay them out and we will all participate the discussion.

Four, long term strategy such as when to go to war, who do we attack and such. I'd hope Marshal return to lead this. If not, then again maybe the Chairman or deputy Chairman should lead the discussion.

I know it is still very heavy loaded on a few people's shoulder. But I don't know what else can be done. I think maybe by more discussion more people gets familiar with the current situation then the load might be evened out a little bit.

Grapefruit Garden
Old November 21, 2003, 19:07   #14
Snowflake
Princess

Another thing, we need to get this game finish quicker if we don't want the few people's shoulder broke from the heavy load. That's why I would support Jamski's plan of 3 faction joint victory. This will end the game quicker.

Grapefruit Garden