Old November 20, 2003, 08:33   #31
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 14:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Maybe Ramo thought of Gauleiter Bremer as he just got back from D.C. after some talks with the big chief in the white house. I don't know, but it would seem reasonable that the coalition forces have to work within the guidelines given by the civilian administration. In that context, the armed forces are probably not allowed to start out with a strategy that onvolves the destruction of Iraqi homes without the approval or acceptance of Gauleiter Bremer or Bush. But I'm only guessing.
Old November 20, 2003, 15:19   #32
Ned
King

Local Time: 04:47
I think the military command is independent of Bremer and reports into Central Command, from there to the Joint Chiefs and ultimately to Rumsfeld.

I am not sure about Bremer. I assume he reports directly into Powell because his title is "Ambassador."
Old November 20, 2003, 16:54   #33
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:47
Quote:
bottom line is that this sh1t is working
Given that this is the first time the US military has tried this in Iraq and it has been happening recently (while Ba'athist resistance has been escalating interestingly enough), I'll have to call bullshit on that.

Quote:
about damn time they took the leash off instead of waiting around to get shot at
And destroying the homes of their family members does exactly what to this effect besides contributing to the growth of armed resistance against the American occupation?

Quote:
if the tactics stayed the way they were going the terrorists would just get bolder and bolder
1. They aren't going after terrorists, they're going after people who attacked the US military (in particular, the helicopter incidents). Soldiers, not civilians.
2. What, specifically, do you think this would do in preventing Ba'athist/Arab nationalist rebels from getting bolder and bolder? Given that Palestinian terrorism against Israelis is still alive and kicking after a few decades of this ****, I have to say your claim is bullshit.

Quote:
I don't get the headline. Bremer pulling a Sharon. Is Bremer the one who is actually making the decisions in the military sphere? I thought he was in control of the civil administration only.
It's hard to say what's going on regarding the chain of command, given that the white house is being tight-lipped about this. I'd expect Bremer to have a large amount of influence on the decision since it's his job to set the parameters of the occupation, but I don't actually know what his involvement actually is. I wrote the title of the thread this way because Bremer symbolically represents the US occupation of Iraq just as Sharon symbolically represents the Israeli occupation of West Bank/Gaza.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old November 20, 2003, 18:38   #34
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 06:47
I don;t see how this new campaing has been "working". I generally oppose things like house demolitions, and since no mention is made of arms caches in any of them, i don;t think that is a valid explination for this: given Israel's tract record with this tactic, I don;t see the point of using it, and hopefully it won;t be used much more.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw