Old May 25, 2000, 00:32   #31
Alexander's Horse

Ming depends on the context. For "just for fun games" I've been in games where the host has been allowed to keep techs if they are in a really bad starting possie. I was in one game where I got 4 techs! We kept going because there was nothing but forest, plains and desert around me and we were too lazy to start again

Old May 26, 2000, 00:12   #32
Eyes Of Night

I seem to remember a time when people didn't give a **** about techs and this host advantage thing didn't exist. But again you guys had to nit pick it like everything else because you have no lives and see the need to make this game absolutely perfect. So what's next on the agenda? Setting rules on what units can be built?

Old May 26, 2000, 00:19   #33
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:02
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Oh come on Eyes...
We just want to have a fair start since we will be dedicating some serious time to the game.
You surely can understand the need for a fair game
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Ming (edited May 25, 2000).]</font>
Old May 26, 2000, 05:47   #34
Graag
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 23:02
Clean start every time. Unless I know the game won't be continued, I always think it is worth restarting so everyone starts with no tech.
Only when we are having trouoble getting a game started do I start to not care about tech. Sometimes, I just want to start the damn game, and stop horrying about host tech.
Old May 26, 2000, 11:47   #35
arii
Prince

Regarding players in the gameleague most are fun to play with. Playing with players that have at least 1200 pts will give you a good game against a decent opponent.
Players that ignore the host advantage typically want to host, what a coincidence!
I think the proximity of the other civs is the most important factor in giving the host tech advantages. The more techs the closer somebody is.
If you want to roll the dice have the host start solo. He may or may not have techs but so does the other players since they start as AI. The host needs to be white and wait for the others to join in.
Old May 27, 2000, 19:13   #36
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I'd be a little leary of joining a game like that. Too much temptation for the host.

RAH
Old May 30, 2000, 08:56   #37
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Interesting suggestion arii... But, I'm with rah on this one. Why give people more ways to rig the start of the game

It may be a pain to keep resetting until it is a clean start, but I don't know what else to do unless you end up playing premade maps in scenario mode.

And I will never play with somebody that wants to host, and who doesn't believe in resetting until clean... some people
Old June 7, 2000, 13:02   #38
common_terry
Chieftain

i like the host white start and wait theory. but yes u have to trust him.

another suggestion let weaker players host.

some games i play i dont move for 5 turns to give newbies a chance.
Old June 7, 2000, 13:45   #39
markusf
King

let me start with techs as a host, and 8 times out of 10 i will win the game easy. If i have a good starting pos on top of that its even easier. Free techs for the host is like having a extra settlar to start of with.
Old June 7, 2000, 13:57   #40
Ming
lifer
Retired

Only 8 out of 10?
Old June 7, 2000, 14:30   #41
SmartFart
Civilization II MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sure.....if you start with Mobile Warfare.
There are other factors except starting with 1-2 free techs,like 4 specials starting place,free city in 3800bc and so on.
Free tech is indeed an advantage,but i don't think they are easy winners.
Old June 7, 2000, 14:40   #42
Ming
lifer
Retired

Yeah, but those examples are a matter of luck, and available to all players. The free techs are something we CAN do something about to level the beginning playing field
Old June 7, 2000, 19:24   #43
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

The only good answer has to be a clean start. In fact, the better the players are, the more important this becomes (not that I need worry about that )

What is needed is a pre-made map library. There are some people here who love to make maps (I'm getting to be one of them). We need someone with a website to store them, and who would give the maps merely numerical identifiers. The names should be changed frequently, too.

The library should be divided into categories (duels, MP games for a start), and then sub-folders by type of map (continents, islands, etc).

Anyone interested? I'll submit the maps I've made, and others as I make them...
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by cavebear (edited June 07, 2000).]</font>