Old November 19, 2003, 15:23   #1
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 08:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Dean's "Re-Regulation" Of American Business
This is stranger than fiction. Dean calls for reregulation of American business.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

This is well to the left of even Carter!

Man, Bush is licking his chops. It would be an easy victory for him with this kind of craziness.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 19, 2003, 15:36   #2
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 04:50
McGovern II?
Old November 19, 2003, 16:14   #3
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Darn, and we Americans were getting so used to our tainted meat and energy scams.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 19, 2003, 16:25   #4
uh Clem
King

Local Time: 06:50
Dean wants to take us back to the 1960s, when there were chronic food shortages because of the collective farms.

Quote:
...a Dean administration would require new workers' standards, a much broader right to unionize and new "transparency" requirements for corporations...
Wow, that's practically Bolshevism.
Old November 19, 2003, 16:27   #5
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:50
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
McGovern II?
Mogovern was partially cured when he left govermnment and went back to the real world. He tried to run a little hotel, and was greatly frustrated by goverment regulation and mandates

"I can not believe what idiots we were in congress."
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old November 19, 2003, 16:31   #6
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 15:50
Quote:
Originally posted by uh Clem
Dean wants to take us back to the 1960s, when there were chronic food shortages because of the collective farms.

Wow, that's practically Bolshevism.
Old November 19, 2003, 16:37   #7
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
"I can not believe what idiots we were in congress."
Yeah, those Clean Air and Clean Water Acts and car safety laws really suck. Business should be allowed to dump raw dioxin in our rivers, and sell us feces covered meat if they want, as long as its irradiated. . . . oh wait, that's what we have now. Well, at least S&Ls aren't allowed to make unsecured loans . . . anymore (that little act of gub'mint [n]non-[/b]interference only coast us one trillion dollars to fix). Surely the energy corporations won't cheat us on power.

"This was like The Perfect Storm. First our traders were able to buy power for $250 in California, the sell it to Arizona for $1,200, then resell it to California for five times that amount." - Former Enron Trader Steve Barth. Damn gub'mint stickin' its nose in our bidness. Maybe I want a mouse in my sandwhich.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 19, 2003, 16:39   #8
Caligastia
Emperor

Clearly government regulation is necessary to some extent in order to stop competition from degenerating into violence, but Dean sounds like he thinks govt should run everything. Bad idea.
Old November 19, 2003, 16:52   #9
The diplomat
King

These massive re-regulations would seriously hurt the economy!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old November 19, 2003, 17:13   #10
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

dp
Old November 19, 2003, 17:15   #11
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Some of Dean's ideas are 40 years out of date (e.g., prohibiting vertical integration of food manufacturers)

Some of them don't make a lot of economic sense (e.g., prohibiting a meat packer from buying the assets of a failed competitor)

Some of them are just plain bad (e.g., possibly reregulating telecom)

I hope Dean is wise enough to know what he does not know and get some competent economic advice.

PS:
IIRC electric rates have fallen since deregulation of the Pennsylvania - Jersey - Maryland grid.
Old November 19, 2003, 18:07   #12
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Che, Take it up with McGovern, he is the one who flipped from rabid big goverment regulator champion to frustrated small businessman regulatee.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old November 19, 2003, 18:13   #13
chequita guevara
Emperor

So, obviously what we want is smart regulation, not no regulation or over-regulation. Given the fact that the Bush Administation has basically decided on no regulation of businesses (just your personal lives), I think we can stand some reregulation. Afterall, feces shouldn't be allowed on our meat, even if it isn't "fiberous in nature." :Puke: I don't care if it's irradiated, I don't want to eat ****!
Old November 19, 2003, 18:14   #14
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 12:50
Wow. From what I read, I quite liked Dean, but even Clark looks better now I need to find a Dem I agree with, before I'm tempted to turn to the Dark Side

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old November 19, 2003, 18:14   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:50
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Yeah, those Clean Air and Clean Water Acts and car safety laws really suck. Business should be allowed to dump raw dioxin in our rivers, and sell us feces covered meat if they want, as long as its irradiated. . . . oh wait, that's what we have now. Well, at least S&Ls aren't allowed to make unsecured loans . . . anymore (that little act of gub'mint [n]non-[/b]interference only coast us one trillion dollars to fix). Surely the energy corporations won't cheat us on power.

"This was like The Perfect Storm. First our traders were able to buy power for $250 in California, the sell it to Arizona for $1,200, then resell it to California for five times that amount." - Former Enron Trader Steve Barth. Damn gub'mint stickin' its nose in our bidness. Maybe I want a mouse in my sandwhich.
commie

my state had no problems with energy regulators. Only stupid states like California get screwed. Survival of the fittest- states
Old November 19, 2003, 18:15   #16
chequita guevara
Emperor

Government regulation of banks puts bank robbers out of work. End the regulation of banks now!
Old November 19, 2003, 18:28   #17
DanS
Deity

Quote:
I hope Dean is wise enough to know what he does not know and get some competent economic advice.
I just think it's funny. This would be reversing 40 years of deregulation that has been pushed by Republicans and Democrats, liberals, moderates, and conservatives. I don't know where he believes he would get support for these policies. The 2% of the electorate who are greens?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 19, 2003, 18:53   #18
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Nah, I'm a (Euro) Green, and I hate what he wants to do. I think he's trying to get the core, left-wing Democrat support. those who want an opposition to Bush, but who know he won't do all this while in office. It may win him the nomination, but it will lose him catastrophically the election.

Old November 19, 2003, 18:53   #19
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Wow. From what I read, I quite liked Dean, but even Clark looks better now I need to find a Dem I agree with, before I'm tempted to turn to the Dark Side
I'm in a similar position. Right now I'm supporting a guy with virtually 0 chance of getting elected. Lieberman's just too afraid to speak up about anything.

Maybe I'll end up supporting Kerry.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old November 19, 2003, 18:58   #20
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:50
Maybe from Che...
Old November 19, 2003, 19:02   #21
Drogue
staff

Lieberman has some chance. If he had personality, his policies could look attractive IMHO. Personally I don't like him. I'd go for Gore or some other (Bill) Clinton-esque person. I was thinking Kerry was ok, but really, I agree with so little in the US. I'm a Green, but I can't stand the worker regulations they come with, nor their other rampant leftisms.

Old November 19, 2003, 19:20   #22
uh Clem
King

The people who serve as GW Bush's neocortex were smart enough not to run him on a hard right program of deregulation in 2000. The operative phrase was Compassionate Conservatism; at the very least, we'll pretend to care. Bush's handlers knew good and well that running as a ruthless Social Darwinist would have flushed Shrub down the toilet and taken most of the GOP with it.

So one might just as well ask, Where won't Dean find support for re-regulation? His opponents are afraid to state their case openly and can only resort to ridicule. That might have worked in the past, but Dean is in a strange position for a Democrat: he's got the money to fight back.

Even knuckleheads like Tom Delay don't call for total deregulation. Does anyone really believe that American corporations seriously want to leave their fates to the whims of unrestrained market forces?

So if some regulation is in order, it's quite reasonable to ask at what point deregulation stops. And if deregulation stops, it's quite reasonable to suggest that perhaps it's gone too far.
Old November 19, 2003, 19:52   #23
Drogue
staff

IMHO, the US has way to little environmental restrictions, from taxes on gas to the mining of fossil fuels and emissions. However I'm all for deregulated business, especially tariffs and quotas on trade. But that's me. US voters are very different. I can't see them buying re-regulation at all. It could happen, but I doubt it very much.

Old November 19, 2003, 21:25   #24
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Reregulation would help your economy, doofi. "Touching anything breaks it" is a silly attitude to take.
Old November 19, 2003, 21:53   #25
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 05:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident

commie

my state had no problems with energy regulators. Only stupid states like California get screwed. Survival of the fittest- states
And California was the most socialist state in America, run by the archsocialist Gray Davis.
Old November 19, 2003, 22:28   #26
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
IMHO, the US has way to little environmental restrictions, from taxes on gas to the mining of fossil fuels and emissions. However I'm all for deregulated business, especially tariffs and quotas on trade. But that's me. US voters are very different. I can't see them buying re-regulation at all. It could happen, but I doubt it very much.
Yes, but you think with your butt. I am developing a product and can see first hand how omnipresent regulation is. And it still won't protect your cradle to grave ass. But it is expensive...and you pay for it in products.

Oh...and have you ever been here. Got any quantitative backing for your statements? Or just thinking with your liberal Sex Pistols mush-head?
Old November 19, 2003, 22:37   #27
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

THIS IS OBVIOUSLY ABOUT NOTHING MORE THAN FECES IN MEAT

POWER TO DEAN
Old November 20, 2003, 01:41   #28
DanS
Deity

One of the keys to success in American politics is to say that you will cut red tape, but actually add regulations at a healthy clip. We aren't commies or anything, right?

Adam Smith might wish Dean had a better understanding of economics, but I question the lack of political sense that brought his thought from brain to mouth.
Old November 20, 2003, 01:44   #29
MrFun
Emperor

And ignorant Americans' phobia of reasonable government regulations continues to be of an embarrassment here on Apolyton . . . . .
Old November 20, 2003, 01:51   #30
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

and no one thinks you're fun or likes you around here, either