Local Time: 15:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Interested in a C3C TOURNAMENT?
post if you are

1st tournament is up
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=102747

list of players here
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...28#post2527928

Last edited by MarkG; December 3, 2003 at 00:52.
Old November 21, 2003, 22:24   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

first thoughts for a speedy lets-see-how-it-goes tournament....

16 players at 8 1-on-1 games(4 games on the second round, 2 on the third + 1 final)

tiny pangea games using the new tournament type mode(it enforces the default rules)

Last edited by MarkG; November 21, 2003 at 22:31.
Old November 21, 2003, 23:53   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
1 on 1 isn't civ.
Old November 22, 2003, 02:05   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:04
Though Uber is right - 1 on 1 isn't MP civ .... Sure Markos, I'll throw my name out into the arena (who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. )
Old November 22, 2003, 02:09   #5
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

hmmmm ok, i'll bite. why isnt 1-on-1 civ?
Old November 22, 2003, 02:42   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Touche' Markos. You are right, by definition MP civ is two or more players. Hell, my only LAN games are against myself, my partner, and 4-5 bots....and we've had some great games. I guess my only question is: If we're playing one-on-one, are there any bots (AIs)? If so, then EXCELLENT. If not...well, it seems rather lack luster. But then, I've never played one-on-one with NO Ai's so I can't judge....but a one-on-one w/o AI's seeems rather boring...but like I stated earlier, the good-luck/chance factor could kick-in...

Last edited by Wittlich; November 22, 2003 at 03:11.
Old November 22, 2003, 05:13   #7
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:04
There is certainly a degree of luck to winning a 1on1, and a winner should be magnanimous in his victory and admit it if he got a lucky start. The luck factor can allow a worse player to win, but only if he exploits it well. This is a good thing IMO.

I would be interested but a few questions first.

What patch version are you playing? Im not sure the patch is out for all countries yet.

What time would you be thinking of starting? Im GMT and should perhaps have a bit of a nap this afternoon if its going to run late.

Sim moves right? Turn based could work with just two players, but sim is just so much faster and the c3c tweaks to it are most welcome.

Also, I have a new router since last time I played MP so my ports and what not might need a fiddle.

Last edited by Snotty; November 22, 2003 at 05:20.
Old November 22, 2003, 06:02   #8
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

I'm in.
Old November 22, 2003, 09:14   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:04
I would be willing to try it out but cannot guarantee my firewall will allow it.
Old November 22, 2003, 13:45   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

1 on 1 (with no AIs) isn't civ (IMHO) for various reasons.

1. there is no diplomacy. unless you *BOTH* happen to be aiming for that space race, the other player is going to swarm you with some low-level unit within the first 50 turns, and if you dont swarm him, or defend like crazy, you lose.

2. there is a lot more luck with 1 on 1s, althogh luck is a major part of civ.

3. in 1 on 1's, the game can become fairly calculated. yes, we've all read "the corruption threads" and the "city spacing thread", but there are some people who actually figured those out, and can mathematically prove that their builds are the best ones. this becomes a lot more prevelent in 1 on 1's, especially when swarming with horsemen will be the way to go.

various others i dont feel the need to type.
Old November 22, 2003, 14:51   #11
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

1. Losing diplomacy is an unfortunate side effect of 1on1s.

You have to strike balance between swarm, defend and expand just like any game of civ. Neglect them and you will lose, just like any game of civ.

2. It also forces you to make the most out of rough starts as you cant just quit and start over. It will make you a better player if you have to struggle against the odds.

3. If someone can do their ultra calculated build under the time pressures of head to head games, then they deserve the victory.

As for swarming, offense is the best defense. If you are the one being swarmed and you cant defend well, then I guess your opponent got the edge on you.

Im suprised theres not been more interest in this today. Are some of the Poly greats all mouth and no trousers?
Old November 23, 2003, 04:16   #12
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
If we're playing one-on-one, are there any bots (AIs)? If so, then EXCELLENT.
my basic definition of 1-on-1 is that two humans compete each other. i didnt have in mind to put in a rule of no ai. now if you want to put in some ai's, thats fine be me
Old November 23, 2003, 04:28   #13
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Snotty
What patch version are you playing? Im not sure the patch is out for all countries yet.
there is currently no patch that alters game rules. just some translations fixes...

Quote:
What time would you be thinking of starting?
when the games will occur will be up to the two opponents

Quote:
Sim moves right?
yes that is my thought too

Quote:
Also, I have a new router since last time I played MP so my ports and what not might need a fiddle.
the manual mentions the following ports: 6667, 3783, 27900, 28900, 29900, 29901, 13139, 6500, 2302, 6703, 2302-2400
Old November 23, 2003, 04:32   #14
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Uber KruX
you with some low-level unit within the first 50 turns, and if you dont swarm him, or defend like crazy, you lose.
how about a "peace for 200 turns" rule?
Old November 23, 2003, 15:21   #15
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Whoa, that's not a good rule. Maybe for the first 50-60 turns, maybe....

If you wait 200 turns, some Civ's UU's will have come and gone. I do suggest that rule about Civ selections be made. Something like each opponent picks the other guys Civ; or it's random.
Old November 23, 2003, 16:51   #16
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

I have quite some experience with civ3 one to one games (see the old one to one threads). Luck has hardly ever played a role in the games I played. And every one of them was great fun to me and my opponents. The only problem we met was the long time needed to finish a game, even a one to one game. Some people just do not have sufficient time and discipline to finish. But apart from that.... it's great fun. I do not have c3c yet but I am glad to see that people start multiplaying again here on Apolyton.

Good luck and lot's of fun to you all. I will certainly buy c3c and join if there are sufficient people that enjoy this type of game.
Old November 23, 2003, 21:52   #17
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

I'll play.

Forced peace may not be a good idea. Even 50 turns may take you out of the time where some ancient UU's are effective. Minimum starting distances were beefed up to take the edge off of early rushes.

Tiny pangea map is fine, with 70% ocean a nice setting. One setting I find almost manditory for online games is accelerated production, games just move to slowly without it. Also, I recommend the fast timer setting, as the timer slows as the civs grow larger.

What victory conditions will be used?
Old November 24, 2003, 01:13   #18
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

200 turns: ok, make it 30-40 or something

70% ocean? lots of sea to travel = longer games?
Old November 24, 2003, 15:15   #19
BigFree
Deity

With pangea, you don't need to travel the Ocean to find your opponent. I like those settings mentioned above.
Old November 24, 2003, 16:02   #20
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

Since there seems to be so many free places i could come in to take a dive in the first round
Old November 24, 2003, 16:10   #21
donZappo
Warlord

Now picking your opponent's civ sounds pretty funny. A tiny, 1v1, pangaea map? Which civ is seafaring/expansionist again? Heh. Maybe it would work better if a pool of civs that would be competitive was created and the civs were randomly picked from that. Of course, this would be only if choosing your own civ was deemed bad in some way, which I'm not entirely convinced of.
Old November 24, 2003, 19:00   #22
heysewa
Settler

Current C3C multi-player has more diplo on the scarcer resources than PTW. Also 1 vs 1 with no comps invalidates the Great Library. I would be up for a tournament no matter what the rules. Normally when I play multi-player I prefer 5 or more players.

Most Multi-player games end as last man standing due to time constraints or conquest in late middle ages or earlier.

Haven't tried the victory point settings yet, except for one game using the tournament rules. The turn limit on that was too short to make any judgements, other than the turn limit set in file loaded was too short (100 turns).

Auguste
Old November 25, 2003, 00:40   #23
The Slayer
PtWDG2 Latin LoversC4WDG Spamyard TeamSpanish Civers
Emperor

Interested.. yes!, I'm, but by my "red ping" connection, I can't join in a internet MP.

However, if I can just suggest, for the ones like me that hve terrible Internet connections or theie wirewall doesn't allow them.. we could me some MSN-PBEM games.

Let me explain. It' the same as all the PBEM's with the difference that the players are on-line a lot of time to pass the *.sav file to the next one and so on. Surely it'll delay a little more, but this opens the doors for all the ones that can't afford for Sppedy connections.

Alexander the Great
Old November 25, 2003, 02:50   #24
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I'll give it a go.
Old November 25, 2003, 08:46   #25
Krasny
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:04
i am interested in a tourney
Old November 25, 2003, 09:42   #26
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Sounds interesting, though:

1. I haven't played any Civ MP games (Except for the PBEM games I play), so I don't know how my ping is in the game... and stuff like that
2. i suck at this game... Usually I only play on regent/Monarch (Mostly regent)

And what is "new tournament type mode" ?

How long time does an average game with those settings take?
Old November 25, 2003, 12:53   #27
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
i suck at this game
dont worry, you sound better than me

Quote:
And what is "new tournament type mode" ?
according to the manual it enforces the default(or the host's?) rules on all players no matter what mods they may have
Old November 25, 2003, 13:31   #28
Snotty
King

Ive tested my ports and I can certainly join someones game, although I havent tested to see if I can host yet.

Any chance I could get my name on that list?
Old November 25, 2003, 14:07   #29
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Before adding me to the list, I'd want to know how long a such game would take approx...

... I don't have much time on my hands during the next month. Thursday we get our programming project, which we've only got one month to finish. I don't know how big this project is yet, so I don't know how much time I actually has to play...
Old November 25, 2003, 14:19   #30
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

if there is no ocean between players, i'm confident on 2-3 hours games. experiences anyone?